8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Real D 3D cinemas In the UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Real D 3D cinemas In the UK
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 07:06 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if we have in the UK any cinemas able to show RealD 3D?

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 08:21 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local Odeon (Colchester) is one. I only found out this summer when, after seeing Journey To The Centre Of The Earth on holiday in its flat version, I returned home to find the same film playing in 3D! I asked when the system was installed and they told me March. Since then I've seen Fly Me To The Moon, which was not a great film, but made good use of the process.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Further to the above, Cineworld's website lists the following cinemas as having Real D 3D facilities:

Aberdeen, Ashton, Bexleyheath, Birmingham Broad Street, Brighton, Cardiff, Castleford, Cheltenham, Chichester, Crawley, Didsbury, Edinburgh, Enfield, Falkirk, Feltham, Glasgow Renfrew Street, Milton Keynes, Newport, Harlow, Ipswich, Luton, Nottingham, Shaftsbury Ave, Sheffield, Shrewsbury, St Helens, Stevenage, Wakefield, Wandsworth, West India Quay, Wolverhampton

There are undoubtedly other Odeon/UCI cinemas too, but they're not listed by name on the Odeon website.

[ November 29, 2008, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Paul Tivy ]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, Never thought of looking on the cineworld web site, Doh! [Roll Eyes]

I am interested in seeing this system which i believe is an updated an improved polarized system using two DLP projectors, in which they project right eye frame and left eye frame at very fast fps, 140 i think. I may check this out shortly, as my interest in 3D has been slightly aroused, although i still have to find the film that can keep me interested enough to watch all the way through. I do find it heavy going.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually only one projector is used, along with a 'Z Screen' (the clever bit) which splits the left and right images and polarizes them at the same time (I think).

Tiv

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 04:06 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some Real D two projector 3D installations. They have the added advantage of the correct on-screen light levels. The single projector set-ups have down to only a quarter of the required light of 16fl!

Don't forget the more light efficient Dolby 3D process.

David

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 04:22 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deleted post..wrong thread
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC