8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Will we ever see the real ORIGINAL Fantasia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will we ever see the real ORIGINAL Fantasia?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 03, 2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My comments about "Fanta-sound" and Fantasia in general, made me think as to whether we will ever see the ORIGINAL VERSION of Fantasia?

Have we seen it? I dare say NO!

Why?

In the original "Pastoral Symphony", the Female Centaurs (Centaurettes?) were all bare breasted, whether in far shot or close up, and in the close-ups, nipples and all.

Now, this has always been rather well known. The ratings board were outraged with Disney showing breasts, even in cartoon form.
Disney was incensed, but he agreed and they went back to all that footage and where there were obvious close-ups, they animated flower garlands on top of the breasts.

... but they kept the original footage.

How do I know this?

On an early color "Wonderful World of Disney" program, there was a segment on Fantasia, (it was during a re-issue of the film, I believe), Disney showed that whole portion of the segment with the original footage. He also got in trouble for that too, but I personally think it was his way of getting back at the censors for having the audacity to censor him the first time around. The fine he received for showing that footage was no doubt "chump change" and was worth the showing of it. After all, who would catch bare breasts, even cartoon breasts, on a Disney program. Score one for Disney!

About four years ago, right when I was first discovering ebay, a man was selling his 16MM print of this episode of the show, with magnificent color, and he had amazingly sharp blow-ups from his print on his auction, and I really w2ish I still had those saved frame captures to share here. I remember that it went for quite a price for that rare footage!

So, will we see this precious footage restored? It would give the Disney studio yet another chance to re-issue Fantasia with a slogan, "the way Disney meant it to be seen" ...

... and they'd be right!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 03, 2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasia is scheduled to be released as a Platinum Blu-ray edition in the fall. Maybe they will include the original material.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't some insensitive shoe-shine gag also removed?

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I have a capture of it at home, someplace. There was also an auction of that footage on Ebay also about a year or so ago.

Here's the pic. Sorry it is so small.
 -

[ April 03, 2009, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Larry Arpin ]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have a better chance of finding the real ORIGINAL famous Ray's pizza!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC