8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Home Projection Booth Size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Projection Booth Size
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading Graham's post about his proper cinema I've gone back to my wishful thinking drawings of an extension to my house. The ground floor of which will be primarily a combined library / cinema.

I made some estimates for the depth of the projection booth based upon my Elmo 16CL with 2000' reels, but what if the impossible happens and I acquire a pedestal 16mm projector, or even a 35mm machine? I'd hate to find out that I needed to move a wall to accommodate them.

Does anyone have opinions as to how deep a projection booth should be while still keeping it as small as possible?

Stewart

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you have projectors and not platter systems (i.e. 35mm) you should be OK with 10 x 10 (feet) but even with that it would be a little tight for space. Mine is super 8 only with DVD projection and it is 9 feet wide by 3 feet thick. VERY SMALL one person only during a showing....

Christopher Gillan
Junior

- posted April 06, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Gillan   Email Christopher Gillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart

The best thing is to it as big as you can,i would make it a minimum of 12ft from the front to the back wall its very hard to get what you want i had to make my old projection room much bigger.how much room do you have in total for the hole thing.

Regards Chris.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 06, 2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever did this I would want enough room for projection equipment, film storage and a film handling bench too.

We are partway through a pretty heavy-duty renovation right now. What this basically means we are still tearing down and haven't really rebuilt very much, so the house looks kind of like a medium sized war has recently passed through.

I figured in the midst of all the chaos I might be able to slip through changing the dining room into a projection room/studio.

-gave my wife a good chuckle!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 07, 2009 01:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booth is "T" shaped, roughly 12ft wide by 4 ft deep for the upper bar of the T and 6ft wide by 3ft deep for the lower section. The lower section contains all projectors. The upper bar holds the Dolby sound rack, the 35mm vertical transport, the 16+s8 long play unit and a few storage elements for lenses, splicing tape, spare bulbs, etc.
Inspection and cleaning of films is done in my garage, which has been turned into a film storage area. Temperature is always cool there (my car sleeps outside).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 09:06 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My projection room is 13ft x 13ft. It has 35mm, 16mm, 9.5mm, Super 8 and Std 8. It also has most of my film storage, but a lot of 35mm is in the garage along with the 35mm rewinds and bench. Spares and other equipment is also in the garage .............. and at work too.

I am still able to keep two cars in my triple garage, the rest is film, pinball and amusement games and of course a jukebox.

If you are planning 35mm allow at least 10 - 11 ft from front wall to back, more if you are running a Double MUT, Tower system or platter. These can however all go alongside the projector if you have the width!

David

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,

Guess I'll have to curb my enthusiasm. The floor area for the whole extension will be a max of 8m x 4m. I can't eat into the width, so if I want a 4m throw then that leaves a max of 4m for the booth - and the utility room that the other half wants!

My house is largeish by UK standards, but small by most US or Australian ones. So no 13' x 13' for me!

Guess I'm looking at a 6 foot depth, but that should be practical.

I like Jean's idea of a T shape - I could raise the floor by the height of a 2000' reel and store films under it.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2009 04:26 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our last house was a Victorian villa. The two front reception rooms had been knocked into one so it was 35'x18'. I had projectors at the back of the room and elec screens at the front - and my lady sat there with a G&T and a bag of nuts, like Lady Muck! I also had a 22 x 18 garden room as well as use of the top landing and even did shows from the conservatory to the end of the garden. Now (with a bungalow), I have a 18'x12' cinema in the garden - and I still haven't enough room, really, as I've 35mm, 16mm with a tower, super 8, std 8 and 9.5 and VPs. There's probably a folk saying that "more is never enough" (and if there isn't - there ought to be). Cheers, DE

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC