8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Simon and Garfunkel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simon and Garfunkel
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 26, 2009 06:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after 26 years since their last visit, the legendary duo are back starting of their tour here in Auckland NZ on the June 13th and was very quickly sold out, from the 60s I was always a fan of their music, still have those old cassette's "Sounds Of Silence" 1966 was the first and the cassette was given to me around 68-69. In 1970 I bought "Bridge Over Troubled Water" one of the best albums ever, and later their "Greatest Hits" around 1972. even after all those years those cassette tapes still run fine. A few years ago Art Garfunkel did a brilliant tour out here, one I was lucky to attend. Today I have just finished watching "Old Friends" Live On Stage DVD 2004 on the VP its brilliant.

One interesting thing with the up and coming Auckland concert, is that their music has an appeal to younger ones as well, one young person at work has saved up his air fare and bought his ticket to the concert, so its really nice to see after all those years Simon and Gurfunkel's music is still as popular as ever.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2009 11:01 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

So good to see them out there again. I watched their "Live in Central Park" concert on TV live, and I have the double LP album of it.

Much like the Everly Brothers, S & G were almost torn apart for good from strife between them, so it always makes it more special when such acts simply finally get rid of such things and go back to doing what they do best.
I'll have to see if they will be appearing in or near Washington DC.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 26, 2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them in Hyde Park in 2004.

Nice show.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven or eight years ago, Simon and Garfunkel came out with an extensive box set, (including never before released christamas songs and other unreleased stuff) ...

The real revelations to that set was that they went back to the origimal first generation session tapes from the vaults and the results were a sonic quality that was amazing.

I had the "Best of Simon & Garfunkel" CD that had been marketed for years, and while it didn't have the scratches of a LP record, I was always let down by the sonic quality, even for a sixties recording.

Now, this box set not only had literally no tape hiss to these recordings, but the crispness to those acoustic guitars and other instruments was amazing!

Anybody who only has the original "Best of" CD, I highly advise the remastered/restored box set.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 27, 2009 11:00 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Central Park concert that Claus mentioned. That was back in September of 1981. Absolutely packed, but the crowd was so into it and I remember people sharing their food and their blankets. The folks next to us had a few bottles of wine which they kindly distributed to those sitting nearby.
Simon's song "Late in the Evening" had recently come out and it was performed twice, the second time to bring this terrific event to a close.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC