8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Star Trek-Wow!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek-Wow!!
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just back from a sneak preview of the above and was mighty impressed!!

Incredible fx,great cast and story.

Looking forward to Star Trek 2 already!!!

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 07, 2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the film a few weeks ago and I was trully impressed. Good cast, fun script and good plot twists. Great visuals. I've always liked Star Trek and I must confess that I let a few tears go when you hear at the end the legendary lines "Space, the final frontier..."

[ May 08, 2009, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 06:57 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news for us Star Trek fans, i was a bit worried it was going to be a let down, even though there was good reviews in Empire movie mag.
Great!!
Chris. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 08:03 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount certainly know how to keep a franchise going on...and on...and on!

Live long and prosper,
Paul.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2009 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really looking forward to this one myself, we are rounding up the usual suspects to go see it opening weekend. (-new complication since the last one: need to find a baby sitter!)

There's a conundrum if you are looking forward to "Star Trek II". That film was made over 20 years ago and was the one with William Shatner's most memorable moment ("KHAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!")

...maybe the Sequel to "Star Trek" should be "Star Trek 2(a)"!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2009 04:23 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

LOL!! Yes thats a good title or how about minus -2??

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 08, 2009 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,

Things get kind of complicated when you "start from the beginning" eleven films in!

I think this could be good for a whole new series.

One thing that they kind of messed up in the last five or six was not having enough dangling story lines that people think about and build up anticipation for the next installment.

I remember a summer in college years when the entire Test Department spent the afternoon (not) solving the dispute "Is Spock Really Dead?" (Not many Power Supplies shipped that Friday, I guess.)

I thought he was very, very dead: nuked, shot out of a canon and then burnt up upon re-entry!

-didn’t anticipate a Hollywood Miracle! (“Gravitational fields were in flux….”)

The new films never leave those kinds of questions. Many of them you could swap in sequence with others or eliminate entirely and the big story doesn't change at all!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 08, 2009 06:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you make of the film makers not trying to get Billy Shatner in there somewhere?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 08, 2009 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think they killed Kirk in Generations to make a clean break, and maybe they aren't willing to go back across that line again. (...not that they couldn't find a way if they really wanted to.)

For better or worse, Bill Shatner has become kind of a caricature of himself, and maybe they just couldn't make that work anymore.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 08, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to see it but a clip I saw seemed to have a shaky hand-held camera look, which tends to really annoy me if used a lot in features. I'd welcome a comment on whether this is liable to drive me mad in this film?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted May 09, 2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
I have had a great day. This morning I went to check out the local yard sales and found a Keystone K-160 16mm projector from the 40's mint condition . A little oil, and burn the dust off the bulb (750 watts) and it works great, even reverse.

Just back from my small town cinema and Star Trek was the main feature and it was awesome!!!! I will say no more until all have seen it and then we should open a new form to talk more about it.
Kevan

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian-Yes there is the shaky camera in some scenes but you still have to see it. It is really well done.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2009 03:40 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last night, and I must say I was really impressed, the casting is superb, and the script is full of "Trek" references and subtle twists and turns. The SFX's are really awesome, but look at the sets as well, they are really magnificent, there has been a lot of money spent on this movie, and it's all there on screen. I believe the next instalment is penciled in for 2011, I for one can't wait. "Live Long And Prosper" as the saying goes.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with everything Barry says above. Saw it this evening and it's one of the best releases I have seen this year. If this doesn't revive the "franchise", then there is no justice.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2009 06:09 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what's really clever is the way they've started the whole franchise again from scratch, including a very clever storyline that means that NONE of the other Star Trek films, or possible anomalies thrown up by them will ever matter!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 18, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went last night: interesting night out.

It was a 7:25 show but we got seated around 7:10. There were various ads up on the screen. I figured they were digital projection from the horizontal lines on screen, but what made it interesting is they were silent. At first I thought this was a good idea, because people in the theater could sit and talk. I would have thought it neat if they put a Charlie Chaplin Film on as long as they were going silent, but it was nice to talk to our friends without the distraction. As we got past 7:25 and the coming attractions started I became a little concerned because it was still silent at a time when it really shouldn’t have been.

So I got up and found an Usher. I said "There's no audio in theater 3". He said "That's coming in via satellite feed and they are having atmospheric interference tonight, so the sound isn't coming in (Odd: I would have guessed thay’d lose the picture first). Once the feature starts, the sound will be OK."

He was a man of his word: once the horizontal lines stopped and the occasional scratch and speck replaced it, the audio was fine.

The movie itself was awesome. It was familiar in so far as the basic story and characters, but fresh, new, larger than life.

They also remedied a gripe I mentioned above: by raising a huge issue in the course of the film and leaving it unresolved it already has me wondering what will happen in the next one. I won't discuss what it was: go see for yourself.

As I said: this is a larger than life story and it was spectacular on the big screen. How that will translate to smaller screens remains to be seen. That's why it's important to see it now.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 02, 2009 04:24 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see this on Sunday. Pretty boring film IMHO.
It just never seemed to get going.
The effects were good though, if you like that kinda thing.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 02, 2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

We are repectful of differing points of view here. So I will see your "boring" and raise you my old neighbors across the street, who thought "Jaws" was funny.

(Seriously: They sat in the theater and nearly fell on the floor laughing!)

[ June 02, 2009, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 08:34 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really want to see this film as I thought that the Star Trek franchise had been done to death, but after all the positive recommendations on this forum I thought I would give it a go. I loved it and can't wait to see it again on DVD when they release it.

Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC