8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm is the best!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm is the best!!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Photo Patrick, I was surprised at just how small the main body of that projector is!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted June 23, 2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect 35mm and 70mm film, but still have a couple of titles in Super 8mm (mostly for the novelty). I never got into 16mm. I just couldn't stomach the bad mono sound.

35mm need not take up a lot of storage room. The trick is simple...6000 foot reels. If you store your prints on 2000 foot (normal "shipping") reels, you will require a warehouse to store a few dozen prints. If you store your prints fully built up on 12000+ foot reels (sometimes called "tower" reels), you will also need a warehouse to store your prints, although you can store a few more that way as opposed to 2000 footers.

When you store on 6000 foot reels (roughly one hour playing time each), you hit that happy spot where you can cram the most amount of prints into one room. For example, I have a room that is 12x16 and I can store over 400 35mm prints in there...fully built up, ready to run on my automated changeover system. This way if the movie is roughly 2 hours or shorter, I can thread up both projectors and walk out of the booth to enjoy the entire movie uninterrupted. If the movie is long, such as 2.5 or 3 hours, somewhere in the middle hour I only need to wander into the booth for a couple of minutes to load up that third reel. Other 35mm collector friends of mine only have one projector, so they just do a short intermission at the halfway point.

Its all in HOW you organize your storage once you move into the world of 35mm.

As far as portability, I once setup a full sized Century SA machine for a friend of mine that ran 6000 foot reels and only took up 2x6 feet of floor space. It was built onto a "piano dolly" type of base so the entire system could be rolled out of the storage closet into position and with a couple of quick connections he was on screen. [Cool]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert
the pics of the Spectra's are not actualy mine but came from the distributor, the long play tower is made by www.cinematografiasax.com in Spain.
 -

It is the Chinese Spectra minus it's spool boxes mounted on this long play system which uses it's own motor to take up the film on the 12000ft reels as the projector's motor would be powerful enough to drive the projector head as well as the take up.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 12:26 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another picture of a pair of the Chinese machines in use.

-

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also many 35mm portables that are no longer manufactured, and can be bought used relatively cheaply. Below is a picture of one of my Marin MP30 table top projectors. They are all self contained, complete with internal sound amps and speaker, a 1/4" plug for an external speaker. Uses standard size lenses that are available used.

-

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, how often do they pop up Mitchell? Even on a dolly my Simplex is killing me.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 28, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they noisy when running, Mitchell?

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marin was sold in Italy with the brand Fumeo on it, but it's quite rare to find.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted June 29, 2009 02:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the reel capacity on that? About 4000'?

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2009 05:54 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6000' for the version sold by FUMEO.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC