8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Best Rock-N-Roll one hit wonders!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Rock-N-Roll one hit wonders!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 26, 2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a former, (well, your never truly a former musician, its always right below the surface, wanting to rebel yet again, no matter how old you are!), rock/heavy metal artist, there are those songs that really influence your work.

But this post is for those one hit wonders that burst out of nowhere! That one song that a group puts out that, even if they recorded for years, they'll never top.

Whats your pick?

Though I would put high up on the list, "Mississippi Queen", by the one hit group, (that STILL tours to this day!) "Mountian", the top pick for the all time greatest one hit wonder, in the rock classification, goes to ... (open the envelope)

RAM JAM : Black Betty!

Still, to this day, I have not heard a more perfect blending of all elements to a rock song. magnificent Guitar riffs/chord progressions, as well as incredibly good drum solo's.

The original release of the song was only a whopping 2 and a half minutes long! Very short for the mid to late seventies.
The full version of the original song was four minutes and has an extended instrumental, which is very good as well.

A few bands have re-recorded this song over the years, but they're efforts show that the mixing of the elements that made up RAM JAM made this song what it is.

I was watching the original promo video for it, (shot on 35MM, as many of those 60's into the 70's video's were), and I ended up rocking out on it four times over, and suddenly wishing I was back into recording.

What are your picks?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah music one of my favorite topics, being that I am still one, and about release another CD on July 28th (first one on I-tunes...oh how times have changed) 26 years after my first live performance...

But my absolute favorite one hit wonder would have to be Jilted John by Jilted John - It is silly, catchy (think of a male Lily Allen with guitars instead of samples) and the whole design of naming the band and song the same seemed to know it was a one hit wonder (until of course the sequel song) but maybe someday I'll be a one hit wonder..

Here are some images from the new CD...notice the movie theme??????? (oh and the bluelines are only on the illustrator file not the actual CD)

-

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 26, 2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some good pushing! I owe a few fellows on this forum a copy of my music and this gives me even more of a push! Good thing!

I'm going to load up some of my music into my computer and try to copy some CD's that way.

Good luck on your release! I'm a terrible tragedy ... I love the art but hate the promoting. Who knows, I might have been somebody!

Hey! That reminds me, how many of you remember that one hit wonder "Neanderthal Man" All the lyrics are as follows ...

" I'm a Neanderthal Man
Your a Neanderthat girl.
Lets make Neanderthal love ...
In our Neanderthal world. "

Brilliant!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the simplest rock tunes of all time, "Woo-Hoo" by the Rock-a-Teens, from 1959 was their only glory. The song was recently butchered by the Japanese girl group 'The 5-6-7-8s' in "Kill Bill", but the original is one hot, primitive blast, and far superior.

"I Hear You Knocking" by Smiley Lewis.
"Kansas City" by Wilbert Harrison.
"Sea Cruise" by Frankie Ford.
"Apache" by Jorgen Ingmann (I have to stand up for my countryman [Wink] )

"San Francisco" by Scott MacKenzie.
"Angel of the Morning" by Merrilee Rush.
"Rhythm of the Rain" by the Cascades.
"Girl from Ipanema" by/with Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz.

"500 Miles" by the Proclaimers.
"Ca Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand.

...and many more.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC