8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Blu-Ray Experience (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Experience
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 29, 2009 05:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Has anyone watched "Baraka"? claimed to be the best Blu-ray ever made.

Specs on the cover.

First of its kind 8K Scan from fully restored 70mm film.
High Rez High Definition Digital Intermediate.
Scanned at 8K Ultra High Resolution from 65/5P film elements.
16/1 Oversampled Digital Intermediate to 1080P High Definition 16:9.
On the audio side Digitally Restored and Remastered 96k/24bits Dolby Digital 5:i and DTS-HD Master Audio 5:1 96/24 bits.

A couple of quotes.

"Baraka by itself is sufficient reason to acquire a Blu-ray player"
Roger Elbert.

"Quite possibly the most stunning picture I've ever seen on a HDTV"
DVD Empire

Well I bought the disc a while ago [Roll Eyes] but still no player as yet, however we did replace our old TV now 10 years old with a Panasonic 42inch HD plasma last month, so a player is next on the list and will also used for the video projector.

Reading all those specs on the box [Confused] does make me wonder if people who buy this Blu-Ray.. and thats including myself really understand very much of what is stated.....however...it does sound good [Smile]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2009 06:34 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does indeed look incredible. And the included featurette should answer most of your technical questions.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 29, 2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, the Blu -Ray disc of South Pacific was also mastered from an 8K digital scan of the restored 70mm film - and it shows! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I know I am talking with absolutely no experience with BR. I'm still back in the days of DVD and of course Super 8.

My concern is that, obviously, film will be obselete. My question is will the video transfer have that wonderful look of film, or will it be a glorified video image.

While a "classic" TV video image is quite fascinating, (such as music video from the early seventies, restored to look like they were just shot yesterday. Its as if time has never past at all!), I wouldn't like seeing a 32 fps video image instead of a 24 fps film transfer in a movie theater.

Just where do we go from here? We are now up to the point where we can literally see no difference between the film print and the BR image.

Besides, in some ways, many actors would not be in favor of the crystal clear image of our future "digital film transfers". It would pick up EVERY imperfection in them, brilliantly displayed for all to see.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 04:34 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go, boys..... all abooooooaaaaard!!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televis ions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/philips-cinema-21-9-56pfl9954h-607652/review

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 04:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, my experience is that Blu-ray (and HD-DVD before it) can look more like film than DVD (or any previous video system) ever did. Of course this is when the movie has been originated on film, but thankfully that still applies to the majority of productions. The extra detail and even grain on show are all part of the film original and with HD, much more of that is captured, so you end up with the look of a high quality print as opposed to a sterile video image (although I know lots of debate continues over various re-mastering techniques such as grain removal, which is where things become more subjective).

But when a transfer is done with skill and respect the image, I find anyway, is "filmic". Plus, there is not so much need for video "tweaking", such as edge enhancement which, I think, plagues DVD, especially on a big screen. So, again, you end up with an image closer to ther film original.

But you raise a good point, this is when the movie has been originated on film as opposed to HD.

When HD cameras do get to a point where they can genuinely compete with film (just my opinion, but despite a lot of hype I think they have some way to go yet) it surely still remains the job of the cinematographer to photograph the "look" they want. And if that means everything soft and moody then everything will look soft and moody, despite the possible resolution on offer? If an actor has acne then stick a stocking over the lens...

I think to many HD simply implies better definintion (I mean, this is how it is marketed) and whereas there are many benefits to HD technology, I don't see why originating on future (hopefully better) HD cameras should neccesarily change the look of a production, that is the the hands of the director of photography and HD will only be a different tool. I hope.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, ATTACK OF THE CLONES and REVENGE OF THE SITH were entirely shot on digital video. The DVDs ( and any BDV ) will therefore have no film content at all, ( they have been taken from digital masters.) There are also processes, one is called 'filmiser' I believe, that make digital look 'filmy'. Others may have more info on this. If the director choses it. The BBC are doing a lot of this. The Doctor Who's are now shot on 720p but 'filmised'.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 09:18 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, I think this kind of backs up what I am saying. In the cinema (to me) Clones & Sith both looked decidedly soft.

Although a lot of both movies where CG and Lucas LOVES HD, the look of the live action footage was deemed too sharp (!!) by Lucas and DP David Tatersall. So they (and I quote), "dumbed it down" by shooting with pro-mists.

In other words, the analogy would be that they didn't like the look of their stock, so they put nylons over the lens [Smile] [Smile]

As for the likes of Dr. Who, yes the days of shooting 16mm on big budget drama have long since (well almost) gone. Isn't it ironic that with todays superior video technology it is now possible to make video finally look like film and not that awful video look of old!!!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "sith" and "clones" that were strictly presented in digital format, and did not notice any sharp edge to the image. Instead the colors appeared as IB Tech.

A friend attended both screenings, one on film and the other digital, and the digital won hands down.

There's isn't anything that compares as in paying and go to the movies, and watch a video!

[Big Grin]

Strange? [Confused]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the Star Wars prequels. In the cinema I saw what I'm sure were 35mm prints but they were not the sharpest I've ever seen. It could be there is a loss when making the 35mm from digital masters. The DVDs look pretty good on VP but not the best again. Curious to see what any eventual BDV might be like. Super 16mm seems to be going out fast if left at all. A pity. But there it is. Makes me more keen than ever to keep my cine going, if only for reference purposes.

--------------------
VistaVision

Ronnie Sortor
Junior

- posted July 02, 2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Ronnie Sortor   Email Ronnie Sortor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Paul! Your Panny 700U is still running? You're one of the lucky ones as this projector's power-supply unit is prone to failure. Mine died two months out of warranty and I've boycotted that brand. Replaced it with the Sanyo Z4, (yeah, I know Sanyo has been bought out by Panasonic, but they still offer a much longer 3-year warranty and to my eyes, after calibration, the Z4 produced a better image than the 700U anyway) which itself was replaced with the Sanyo PLV Z3000 1080p projector when I took the Blu-ray plunge earlier this year because it nagged me that with only 720p resolution, the whole picture wasn't quite being presented. I gotta tell ya, 1080p is well-worth upgrading to! It's more than just that, technology has improved a lot in the last five years and the quality of LCD projectors is remarkably better! Better color reproduction, much higher contrast ratio and image detail. So, anyone on the fence for Blu-ray or HD projection, here's a little push from a voice of experience. Digital may never equal film, but it's getting closer and closer all the time!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, when Clones & Sith finally arrive on Blu-ray (in about 6 months) I'm sure Lucas will have a big song and dance about how technology wasn't quite up to it at the time (2005 [Big Grin] ) and the "new" versions will be sooo much better...plus they will probably have ewoks in them [Wink]

With further reference to HD; in the last 18 months or so I have had the, erm... "educational" experience of investing in various "state of the art" HD projection and media.

Suffice to say that I have now lost a lot of harned earned cash by investing in total and utter (excuse me) c**p; which is currently sold as, generally speaking, highly regarded kit.

I'm not bitter (well, I am really [Roll Eyes] ) and I did do my homework (as a broadcast cameraman I have to be constantly aware of new developments in photography and displays - it's my living) but I have learned, or should I say, re-learned some rather fundamental lessons that I should never have forgotten; the most most basic being, I guess, believe your own eyes!!!

Forget HD for the moment and ask yourself these questions when investing in a new video projector...(or TV)...

Does you display offer true (or close to true) black level? If not then forget contrast ratio...honestly about 500:1 will really do if you can produce good black, then anything on top is a bonus. 30,000:1...50,000:1...nonsense. Sure, very, very bright whites and very dark, erm, greys...useless...great contrast range but no real shadow detail = rubbish, especially for watching movies.

Video processing...even some of the best, most highly regarded video prosessor manufacturer's in the business (which are commonly fitted to various makes of video projector) are, well, in my humble opinion...adequate at best. Forget 10 bit, 12 bit, blah, blah, blah...look at a blue sky in an average motion picture (or any background with gradations of the same colour) and see if there is a smooth rendition of colour gradient, or "join" where gradations meet. I'm not being picky...once you notice it in backgrounds you'll soon see it apparent in all aspects of the image. Rubbish video processing...don't accept it, better equally affordable options are out there.

Jaggies. The plague of video images. All sorts of reasons for these to show up and I'm sure many of you will be keen to offer very technical explanations. Fact is, when a fine diagonal line of detail passes through a video image there is no reason why it should (with modern kit) break up into a shimmering mess of lines. But all too often it does. Now I'm not talking CRT TVs with Laser Disc here, I'm talking "state of the art" 1080p displays with, at least, a DVD up-scaling player. Jaggies should be non- (well...almost) non-existence. If not, then either display or up-scaler is no good. Again, look elsewhere.

Colour calibration...how tedious is this bit [Roll Eyes] . Your display should be calibrated to 6500K for natural presentation. Brilliant...and you can really spend a small fortune having someone come to your house and calibrate your whites so that they are spot on (and, no, not refering to your laundry!) Then you'll notice that (despite being able to see hardly any level of detail in dark scenes, and lots of weird colour artifacts all over the place, and that everytime an x-wing fighter attacks the death star it's wings break up into a weird shimmer) that actually, the colour looks a bit...well...odd. You'll think to yourself, "I don't remember Pierce Brosnan having jaundice when I saw Mamma Mia at the cinema???",

Then you'll reach for the remote and re-set the colour temperature of your display the way you want it anyway...the way that looks natural to you...the way a lab tech would set up a printer...with their EYES!

Then...and only then...(hopefully)...you'll finally notice how nice and sharp everything is...

Anyway guys...hope you will all take this with the jest with which it was meant...I know a lot of you will disagree (or just think I'm mental) - actually I now love my current video kit [Razz] . It just took a lot of harsh experiences and wasted money to get there.

But you know, super 8 is so much easier...and less to worry about...maybe that's why it's me hobby! Quick, where's me Elmo and that 1970's print of "Project the right Image". In those days, all you had to worry about was whether or not your extension lead was long enough... [Big Grin]

And let's not even get on to motion judder... [Wink] [Smile]

[ July 03, 2009, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great posting! I agree you have to be subjective and use your own eyes. The figures can be manipulated to sound great anyway. You have to have a great demo with natural-looking material. I find that stores aren't helpful. Even if they have a demo room they always want to show you CGI animations ( because they appear sharp I imagine ) but where there is nothing natural to judge the true quality of the image.

--------------------
VistaVision

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’d like to report one of my personal experiences in terms of believing one’s own eyes. It was 1994: DVD and Plasma TV’s were starting to appear on all markets. Once I went to one of the biggest international Hi-Tech chains where a huge Plasma TV (priced about € 15.000) and a DVD player were on display (demo). The film being played was “Jumanjii” with Robin Williams. Anything seemed even too perfect at first glance. But on a second look I could easily detect severe “jaggies” in the line of the chrome plated police car window frame which was supposed to be a curve (actually lots of tiny “steps”).

I asked one of the assistants there what resolution the whole set up was apt to deliver and he admitted he didn’t know “Suffice it to say it’s the latest technology – it’s digital that’s the best you can get!”

I showed my surprise and I was like “Look at these jaggies”. The nicest part is that every other convinced the displayed image was the best ever seen… After all I am afraid not so much distance has been covered…

--------------------
Maurizio

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2009 07:57 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to get back to the origins of this post first and say one, congratulations Paul on your entry into the world of BD. Two, How jealous I am that you’re AE700U is still running and now producing 720P for you. Three, I knew you would love the Disney’s in BD and like you I am looking forward to Snow White and fantasia. Don’t forget now that on the 2nd of November The Wizard of Oz is to be released in Blu-Ray.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, I feel that following my "rant", I should second that [Smile]

Those Disney's are amazing and we have a lot to be thankful for with today's technology.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 12, 2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris. So far, I am very impressed with Blu-Ray, having now rented several BD discs and having had an opportunity to really scrutinize the picture quality in a home environment. Of the ones I have so far viewed, the three Disney BD releases are right at the very top, along with the new BD of 'South Pacific'. All are truly gorgeous PQ with stunning color and detail - you could not wish for anything better - as good as the professional cinema. However, I have seen several lesser BD titles which seem no different, or very little different, in quality than a good DVD, which raises the question whether or not some BD titles are in fact genuine HD.
Blu-Ray discs are still expensive here in the USA, with premium 2-disc titles, like 'How The West Was Won', going for about $35.00 in the local book store. So I shall be restricting my BD purchases to the great classic film titles like Snow White, Fantasia, Wizard of Oz etc. I certainly will not be buying any run of the mill modern titles, which appear to be 99% of the present BD catalog. I don't know who is buying these, since most of these modern films are only worth seeing once - at best!
From my perspective, BD presently poses no threat at all to DVD - DVD still has an overwhelming lead in the great film titles and most of the best collectors editions are on DVD, not Blu Ray. So blu-ray has a long way to go to catch up with DVD - if it ever does.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
raises the question whether or not some BD titles are in fact genuine HD
Paul, I think this is a very important point. All the studios would be making budget cuts in every area including BD. Plus the fact that they know how the general public do not understand the technicalities of making a BD so they can put all the specs on the cover even if they know its not entirely true. Most people buying Blue Ray will think that this is the best version ever with the whole picture cleaned and re-scanned, new sound ect. unaware that their previous DVD at home on the shelf is not that much different. I would imagine that it would all depend on the movie title and how many copies they expect to sell of it.

To add another point, when they get around to releasing Laurel and Hardy and Chaplin on blue ray (they will eventually to make money), will they look any better than the best DVD's of them today when the master material is 70+ years old.

Graham S

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 12, 2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I know the guy who was in charge of the conversion to blu-ray and they went through ridiculous pains to quite literally, maximise the potential for the blu-ray format. Indeed there is no other blu-ray disc out there that can touch its quality, and I doubt you will see anything better in the future.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Baraka, anyone who can be in Santa Monica, CA on August 1 can see a 70mm print screened at the Aero Theater.

http://www.americancinematheque.com/Aero/aeromastercalendar.htm

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the BD release of Pinocchio, was Disney
able to retain the depth that is their trademark
by using the multi-plane film technique?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 12:18 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the BD of Pinocchio, but if the multiplane camera was used, no transfer or print-down of it would change the camera's perspective and the multiplane effect. Since multiplane started at least by 1937 ("The Old Mill"), and Pinocchio was in 1940, it's safe to say that it was probably used and has never been seen so vividly on video as in this latest restoration.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough Bill, I actually will be in Santa Monica on the first of August, I will strongly consider this.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2009 10:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt used the multiplane camera extensively in Pinnochio, most famously the drop-down tracking shot into the village where Pinnochio lives, which was extremely expensive.
For those who have not seen it, the quality of the BD is jaw dropping.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BARAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!

FINALLY

SOMEBODY ELSE WANTS TO EXPERIENCE THIS GREAT FILM BESIDES ME

I do not have plans to jump into Blue-Ray. But I saw this picture originally in 70MM. I have it on laserdisc, and now have the 8K standard DVD and watched it recently with the Panasonic AX200U projector. The connection was mere S-Video, and it looked amazing. The behind the scenes documentaries ran almost one hour combined and yes there is much information about the production and the 8K mastering.

This is one of the best non-verbal films ever made and if you like this sort of thing it should not be missed.

Samsurra is currently filming and is the sequel to Baraka.

And I have heard that the next 8K scan restoration is Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I am not sure if it is in progress or they are starting it soon. After what they did with Baraka, anything else they do with this process should be amazing......

CG

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC