8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What language is this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What language is this?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 08:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What language is this? [Confused] I would guess Spanish.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Spanish.

"-and it happened that in Gallilee appeared a man, that many believed to be the Messiah"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 09:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2009 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
De nada!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 09:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, The only Spanish I know is:

Where is the mens room?, How much is the bill? Hello and goodbye. Also, how to order food. [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2009 09:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took 4 years of it in High School, but only really learned it when I worked in Mexico for about 10 years. Studying something is one thing: needing it quite another!

"Donde esta el puente internacional? No se donde estoy y quiero retornar a Texas antes sierran la frontierra."

"Where is the international bridge? I don't know where I am and I want to return to Texas before they close the border"

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 09:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Those are good words to know. [Cool] Theres no place like home.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 08, 2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was down there one time and we went out for dinner, a bunch of guys from Engineering in New York and A bunch of guys from the Factory in Reynosa.

I learned something that night: that the little sign I make to the waiter up here to bring the check means "Bring another Round" down there. So the Corona was available in BULK.

Now we weren't too toasted to navigate a rent-a-car back across the bridge but the problem was that there was a lot of traffic at the border that night, and gradually certain.... internal hydraulic pressures began to approach and then exceed rated maximums....

So we sat in that car and waited..and waited. Whatever anaesthetic value the Coronas had quickly wore off and we were left to slowly ponder the truism "You don't buy beer, you only rent it." We considered making use of the Rio Grande, but didn't think the possibility of a visit to the Reynosa Jail was worth it. They can hold you without charge and these things have been known to take time to sort out down there!

Finally our turn at Immigration/Customs came and I practically skidded the car into the booth. The border guard said "You're supposed to stop at the sign before you pull in.", but brilliant legal mind I am I countered with "We REALLY need to pee!"

This being about 7 months pre-911, that kind of logic still worked.

Fortunately there was a Wattaburger across the road from Customs. I doubt I've done a worse job of parking a car before or since!

-Ah!, Memories!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 10:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yo haced agua in mi pantenlones ...

roughtly translated ...

"I make water in my pants."

We have a Pual market over here where I live and a lot of migrant workers who are out of work will hang out in front of Paul's, (much to the managements chagrin), and they'll wave a happy "Hola!" to me and I'll reply with a happy "Hola!" and the statement above. Its so amusing to watch they're smiles go to bewilderment.

Either the gringo doesn't know what the heck he's saying ...

or he does, and he's proud of it.

Everyday is an adventure!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Luis Gonzalez
Junior

- posted July 09, 2009 09:26 PM      Profile for Luis Gonzalez   Email Luis Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget 2 of the most important Spanish words: "Cerveza Fria". Translation: (Cold Beer)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 09, 2009 09:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beer was great down there, and the people were nice too.

The 70 degree Winter temperatures were a real bonus! I remember riding back from the plant to the hotel one sunny, warm day on my first trip when the thought "When I get home I have to cut my lawn!" drifted into my head. All of a sudden reality came rushing back and I realized in was January and my lawn was a foot deep in snow!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC