8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What's your favorite Our Gang/Little Rascals short?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your favorite Our Gang/Little Rascals short?
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2009 12:44 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right in line with Osi's "Laurel & Hardy" post, I thought I'd start one for the Hal Roach "step child", The Little Rascals. [Wink]

I call them the step child, only because, ever since I've been collecting super 8 (early 70's), Laurel & Hardy movies have always been the most collected and most talked about. You even hear more about The Three Stooges, then Our Gang. I think they are probably one of the most under-rated series. The series has amazingly stood the test of time. And although there are some racial stereotypes in some of the shorts, the black characters are treated with respect and as equals most of the time.

Anyway, I love these shorts, and here are my top three:

3: Night N Gales- 200 footer is so fast-paced, everything is timed perfectly. The gang is in top-form and the sets, lighting, acting, and direction are perfect. Holds up to any jaded child audience today.

2. Hi Neighbor!- 400 footer- Probably one of the best known LR shorts. Was the most-shown on television back in the 70's. From their peak years (1934), the gang builds a fire engine to compete with the rich kid. Great outdoor sets, well-paced.

And, my very favorite-

Number 1: The Pooch- 400 foot. This is my personal favorite. The main characters are Stymie, Spanky, and Pete the Pup. This short is filled with heart and has some emotional moments, but never sways too far from humor to still be a comedy short. Excellent all the way. It also captures some of the atmosphere of the depression era. Still has a happy/funny ending.

Thanks for reading. Now, how about yours?? [Wink]

James.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2009 01:33 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only one I ever had on film (or video!) was waltons 200ft 'One Wild Ride'. I loved this and played it again and again. One of my first ever films. I still have it.

Graham S

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2009 02:11 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather partial to HIDE AND SHRIEK. The funhouse setting is delightful.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 22, 2009 03:58 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first four with Edgar Kennedy; THE FIRST SEVEN YEARS ("Oh yeah, I know what a duel is. It's the other end of a football game", SHIVERING SHAKESPEARE ("What-Ho! Bring On The Dancing Girls!"), MOAN & GROAN INC ("I know...But I Won't Tell Ya!"), and WHEN THE WIND BLOWS ("Kennedy, always gets his man!") - Oh, I like others, but if Kennedy's in something, I'm right there along with him - Fraternally and slowly-burning, Shorty

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as difficult as picking a favorite L&H.
Probably more so since the cast changed so often.
I do know that none of the ones Joe mentions are my favorites -- not even close.

The other ones mentioned are all in the conversation of my favorites. I have to pick by category:

One reeler: FRAMING YOUTH (I'll never waiver on this one in this category.)

Spanky Era 2 reeler: THE KID FROM BORNEO

Pre-Spanky talkie: TEACHER'S PET
Silent: have seen too few to pick

Other top ones:
SCHOOL'S OUT
LOVE BUSINESS
PUPS IS PUPS
DOGS IS DOGS
HELPING GRANDMA
FLY MY KITE
MUSH AND MILK
READIN' AND WRITIN'
BIRTHDAY BLUES
FREE WHEELING
FISH HOOKY
WILD POSES
FOR PETE'S SAKE
MAMA'S LITTLE PIRATE
OUR GANG FOLLIES OF 1936
OUR GANG FOLLIES OF 1938
REUNION IN RYTHM
PAY AS YOU EXIT
THE LUCKY CORNER

Probably left out a few -- the best season was definitely 1930-1931 -- starts with PUPS IS PUPS, ends with BARGAIN DAY (the weakest one from this period). This was the season that catapulted Jackie Cooper to features.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, my cup of tea...
You know something? I will be very happy to answer. But I need a couple of days to think about it. Even if I already have a favorite one in my mind...
DO I HAVE JUST ONE CHANCE????
 -

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a year ago this guy on E-bay was selling a ton of really nice Blackhawk Little Rascals, and I developed a collection really fast. These films were pretty much new condition, even the boxes were pristine.

Among the bunch I'd have to pick "Hook and Ladder". The collection of kid manufactured fire fightin' apparatus is just awesome!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2009 07:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, kee 'em coming!

Gian- Take your time. It took me a while too, and my favorites do change from time to time.

Marshall- Hide and Shriek was my absolute FAVORITE in my younger days, and I still love it. Yes, the "old school"-type Fun House was soooo cool [Wink] .

Hide and Shriek was the last Hal Roach studio release, so they really went out on top!

James.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2009 08:29 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm ready. But give me the possibility to change my mind, in case. You all know I'm in love with this Roach's productions.

Pre-Spanky Talkie:
SCHOOL'S OUT;

Spanky Era (1-reeler):
HEARTS ARE THUMPS;

Spanky Era (2-reeler):
OUR GANG FOLLIES OF 1938.

BUT...
If I have to choose my favorite ever... Oh... How difficult!...
Well...
Yes!
SPOOKY HOOKY and (I cannot choose only one! I CANNOT!!!) FISHY TALES , even if I get crazy with LITTLE SINNERS too.

What a mass. I love this series so much, so I would need a month to decide what's my favorite! Can I say I like all of them, James [Big Grin] ?

-

--------------------

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2009 02:53 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite is PAY AS YOU EXIT.
Great story and the kids are in top form.
If I dare mention the MGM era, my second favorite is
THE LITTLE RANGER. A fantastic short that really shows what could have been done with the series had Gordon Douglas stuck around, among other factors.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ONION!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC