8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay's new look

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay's new look
Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 02:56 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me but I dont get any 'description' at all. On most items I scroll down and all I get is a line saying "dont let this slip away". There is the new description 'Tab' but it contains nothing. Ive gone through the help sections or looking for a 'classic' view to revert to the old (like in win XP) but alas nothing. Its so frustrating that they changed it [Mad]

Graham S

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 15, 2009 04:39 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the seller did put in a description it should be there. I'm not having problems here.

Remember, some sellers don't give much if anything in the way of description.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all of the items I look at dont say anything apart from the standard box that comes up telling me it the condition and format etc. Ive also looked at items from 777seymor as he always gived a detailed description shot by shot but theres nothing now. I seem to remember It was ok once then it disspeared the next time I clicked on ebay. [Confused] [Mad]

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 15, 2009 01:26 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Just picking one at random:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EIKI-ELF-SNT-1-16mm-film-projector-Excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ160356000333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash= item2555f6624d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Can you see a description on this item?

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6 of 777seymour checked at random; all good descriptions
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I cant [Mad]

When you right-click and select 'Encoding' and change to windows or ISO, this seems to make a difference but it only makes the decription very long and blank (all white no text). The top of the page looks ok with the photo on the left as normal but under description I get nothing. The payment tab works ok though.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 15, 2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see 777seymore's description:

Eiki/Elf SNT 1

Excellent condition Eiki 16mm film projector in perfect working order

Complete with standard 50mm f1.2 lens and extension speaker cover/case

Has been modified to 240v professionally by Elf UK presumably when they first imported them into the UK

These were the last models Eiki made and are of top quality

Quite a heavy item so collection preffered but will send at buyers risk by courier for £30.00

Thanks for looking

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I get. Mabye its just something like Adobe flash or similar (even though its not a video file). I have also had a problem on Amazons marketplace pages but I just change the encoding and it works.
 -

Graham S [Mad]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 15, 2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats strange.

Wish I could help you out there,Graham.

It's gotta be something simple.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just temporaly fixed it by reseting all Internet Explorer settings. It worked at first but has now gone back to not displaying it again.

I will find it eventually.

Graham S [Smile]

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try downloading another web browser like Mozilla Firefox and then see if the pages load correctly.

Paul.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 03:20 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought Graham - Have you tried deleting your "cookies" and "Temporary Folder"? You may have a corruption in there. I had a similar problem with "Yahoo Mail" not loading correctly. I just deleted the cookies that applied to that particular site, re-logged back in and it worked fine.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Keith for that advice but I do that regularly. It didnt work this time. Last night I checked for updates and it downloaded and installed many but again this didnt help much.

What is happening now is weird. When I first run internet explorer and go strait to 8mm forum and then proceed to click on the link above, I get the full page WITH description opened in a new window - good. Then I close that window and click on the link again. This time It opens up WITHOUT the description.

Then I close down internet explorer totally and open it up again and click on the link above. The Ebay page opens up back WITH the full description. [Confused] [Confused]

It seems it only works fully when I load up an ebay page for the very first tims. It seems like it changes some setting stopping me look at more pages. [Confused] Any help.

Graham

p.s. mabye an upgrade to IE8 will do the trick (currently using 7)

Graham S

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 09:17 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uploading to IE8 is probably worth a go Graham. I have been using it for about 6 weeks now - seems ok. However, my browser of choice is Firefox. Seems a bit more "secure" and "quicker" than Explorer. Just my opinion though.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith and Graham,
I've never been able to get on with any Version of I.E; I find the toolbars much too cluttered. Firefox is easier to use and appears to work faster, but has the same cluttered appearence.
I'm now using OPERA (free download) which is absolutely simple to use, is very plain (the default browser is actually in monochrome, with dozens of bespoke alternatives available)and has menu selectable toolbars, one visible at a time or even turned off completely. I do all my emails directly from it (no need for Outlook Express or Windows Mail). There are some limitations, but I find it works very well for me.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 11:09 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been all sorts of issues with Internet Explorer 7 & 8. It seems to be down to all the security settings and caches etc and the way that IE handles some scripts.

At work I suggest that users either use Firefox or Apples Safari which is also available for PC and I have far less complaints.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 01:41 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your comments. I will try both IE8 and Firefox. Certaintly a lot of positive comments for Firefox.

Thanks
Graham S

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that Ebay.com (and some others Ebay worldwide) start using different setting. The different that I meant is that every page come with two separate boxes, i.e the main box and the description box. When the description box has fully loaded then it will merge (become one page) with the main box (background). Sorry I cannot explain in computer language because I am not expert in computer.

Graham, try this very simple way:

Ebay has a similar URL for every item depend where you open first.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eumig-Mark-610D-8mm-Super-8-mm-VS-Movie-Projector-610-D_W0QQitemZ110424498040

(can you see the desctiption)?

If not then try to see from Ebay Malaysia which is still using old browser. It is easy, just add "com" becomes "com.my" so it becomes like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Eumig-Mark-610D-8mm-Super-8-mm-VS-Movie-Projector-610-D_W0QQitemZ110424498040

can yo see ther description now?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC