8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » North by Northwest Blu Ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: North by Northwest Blu Ray
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is a film I have always wanted to own. It was released on Super 8mm as a 400ft digest by MGM, and very nice it was to, with good picture quality and including the two legendary sequences from the film - the crop duster chase, and the climax on Mount Rushmore.
Now we have the just released Blu ray of this film, which has been totally restored and given an 8K digital transfer.
Clocking in at 137 minutes, this is one of Hitchcock's longest films, but every minute is crammed with excitement, and the pace never lets down from the very first frame. This film was photographed in VistaVision which had a format very close to 16:9, so there is no letterboxing of this film, and it uses the full 16:9 panel of the video projector. The picture quality is stunning with rich dense images and really deep blacks, and Bernard Hermann's great musical score sounds wonderful.
The BD comes in a 'Digibook' case, which has a 44 page booklet of background information, photos, and posters. There's a stack of extra features including a feature length biography of Cary Grant, and the making of North by Northwest.
Altogether a must have disc for any Hitchcock fan, which I guess includes everybody.
I got my copy for $24.95 at Best Buy on Tuesday. By Wednesday they were all gone!
Also availble in just released DVD, which also includes the book and extra features.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon. I'm quite curious to compare it to my IB Tech 16mm print...

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for another great review Paul.
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine the other day and will be checking it out this weekend for sure!

Tom

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC