8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Feeling very Moody

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling very Moody
Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 05:59 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, nothing at all to do with film collecting but those who know me are aware of my high regard for The Moody Blues. I just bought tickets to see them in Cardiff next September. [Smile]
It's going to be a long 10 months.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

|  IP: Logged

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 06:50 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you gotta go, go now. That's what I say....

Tiv

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 07:21 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very good [Smile] [Cool]

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2009 09:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They put on a great show! I have a Divx disc of one of they're concerts with the Royal Philharmonic backing them up! Great stuff! (Wish they would have done "Gemini Dream" on that live concert).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 26, 2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Mal.

It'll be good to see Denny Laine again [Razz]

He used to play with Wings, y'know!!?? [Wink]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2009 05:58 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Moody Blues too.

Hey Osi, what's a DIVX DISC??

James.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2009 07:12 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be good to see Denny Laine again [Razz]
Mike, 43 years too late for that [Wink]
(As if you didn't know)
Mal

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 27, 2009 04:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Divx was a competitive alternative when DVD first came out. They boasted the same level of video quality as the DVD but used a different kind of compression. The problem with the Divx discs was that they would have a limited number of plays, the discs being programed to only allowing five or so plays.

Obviously, for a collector, you would want unlimited plays for your movies, so Divx ran out of steam really quick.

But, Divx didn't die. It became a way of playing video's on your PC. A Divx file takes up very little space, compared to a mpg or mpeg or mpeg2, but with exceptional image quality.

You could burn Divx files at home long before you could burn DVD's.

I have quite a few Divx files, and the MOody Blues Concert is one of them. BY the way, its "The Moody Blues at the Royal Albert Hall". There are truly spectacular versions of "Tuesday Afternoon, Nights in White Satin & Question"! Truly magnificent sound. I really prefer these fully orchestrated versions over the original!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Were DIVX's available in the USA?? That one sliped right by me. I went straight from VHS to DVD.

I wanted to try laserdisks, but couldn't afford to get into another format. I would've had to abandon super 8, and I'm glad I didn't.

James.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More info on DivX:

DivX was later used as a codec for alot of pirated films, but it was replaced by XviD, because the DivX quality eventually became quite poor when people began getting large screens and such.

Today, DivX is still in use, but in a new and updated form giving very good quality once again. It is commonly sold as DivX discs in mainland Asia still.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 28, 2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal
One of the first records I bought out here in NZ was back in the mid-seventies "This Is The Moody Blues" I still have it and listen to it every so often. One number in particular that has always stuck in my mind was "For My Lady" I always thought there music was unique, later on I bought "Surlamer" with numbers such as "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" were outstanding, all the best for the concert.
 -
Graham. [Smile]

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 10:53 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They dont do album art like this nowadays,just makes you want to pick up the album and have a good look inside,or on the back,nowadays it seems many albums are polluted by massive ego photos of the main artist.. just my opinion
Take care
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 05:43 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to revive such an old thread but my initial post about The Moody Blues seemed to generate some interest. Sadly,founder member Ray Thomas the original flautist / vocalist /sax player died on January 4th less than a week after his birthday.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news.....what a great band. I never had a chance to see them live but I have most all of their LPs. How was the concert back in 2010?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC