8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dan O'Bannon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dan O'Bannon
Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2009 04:44 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has passed away. Those kids of the seventies would know doubt
know him from the writer of 'Alien' and 'Dark Star', both of which were on 8mm. An icon for those geek kids like myself from those days.

Good bio here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43415

Stuart

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

When "Alien" premiered, I was made aware of Mr. O'Bannon as a rather tortured soul who had poured a lot of his frustrations into writing the ultimate frightening movie after "Dark Star" had helped put him on the map.

He certainly had his hand in some big-name projects along the way, but one got the idea from reading about him that he didn't really "fit in" in Hollywood.

But whatever else happened, in 1979 he gave us all two of the scariest hours ever put on film. I am sure Ellen Ripley could have coined a nice farewell phrase.

R.I.P.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 18, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DARK STAR was an excellent piece of work. Haven't seen it in years.

RIP

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2009 03:23 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched DARK STAR again last night after receiving this horrible news. He really is great in it. ALIEN was a huge part of my childhood, but DARK STAR is my favorite of Dan's films. What sort of 8mm release was there for this title?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC