8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Soundtracks (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Soundtracks
Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 07:27 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently started a soundtrack collection.Does
anyone here share the same interest?

--------------------
D Aveline

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 10:42 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

Nice to hear from a fellow film-music buff.
I love film music; Morricone and Goldsmith among the main orchestral composers (Goldsmith's 'Alien' newer grows old as mood-setting music.) I have a reasonable collection on LP and also CDs.
I also enjoy "forgotten" scores for films that may not have been hits, like "Heaven's Gate" and "Custer of the West."
What do you have, and what are your favorites?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic,
My number one soundtrack is Ennio Morricone.. i was lucky enough to see this print in 70mm,the six track magnetic stereo track was stunning. [Smile]
regards
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart, I think a film title is missing from your post!

I've been collecting soundtracks since I was 7. My first was Star Wars, my latest are on their way to me: On Deadly Ground by Basil Poledouris, Clash Of The Titans by Leonard Rosenman and Fantasia by Irwin Kostal.

Favorite composers: John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris, Ennio Morricone, Michael Kaman, David Arnold and many more!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 06:44 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely yes (LP, above all).

Morricone if my favorite, no doubt. I also love Nino Rota and Bernard Herrmann.

Some of my favorite soundtracks: ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST; ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, E.T.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 10, 2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

Here are two links to previous Forum threads about soundtracks:

Soundtrack 1

Soundtrack 2

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,hello Claus,hello Gian,hello Thomas,hello Stewart,hello Douglas;
My all time favourite is Ennio Morriconne,undoubtebly the most talented film music composer;I agree,Gian, once upon a time
in the west,once upon a time in America are wonderful,haunting scores ;I am also very keen on Max Steiner,he did marvelous
work on the searchers,Bernard Hermann is a genius too,his craft was very noticeable in films such as Vertigo,the seventh voyage of Sinbad;David Raksin did an unforgettable job on Will penny
and Laura;but I am also very fond of Victor Young who composed beautiful music for Rio Grande and Johnny Guitar;of course there is also the great Dimitri Tiomkin(High Noon,Giant, Tha Alamo...)I have records of the titles above but also other ones such as Hour of the Gun(Goldsmith),True Grit,the comancheros,the magnificent seven(Elmer Bernstein)oh I was about to forget the Great Silence by Morricone;West Side Story by Leonard Benstein,I also started collecting Tv scores like
Logan's run(Laurence Rosenthal),Johnny Staccato(Elmer Bernstein)
the Time Tunnel(Georges Dunning,John Williams)The Persuaders theme(John Barry),the avengers(Laurie Johnson).Apart from tv scores I have records from the great hollywood musicals.well that's it .Thank You for the answers Iam looking forward other ones;Claus what's in your own collection?Gian,do you have other
morriconne scores? [Wink]

--------------------
D Aveline

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, i completely forgot to post the name of the movie..doh!
It was Ennio Morricone and The Untouchables..
Thanks all
Stewart

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And let's not forget Maurice Jarre (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago and many more)...

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 03:32 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't "collect" soundtracks, but I will have to say that nothing can compare with "Blues Brothers" and "Saturday Night Fever", both of which I own on mint vinyl pressings [Smile] [Smile]

Favorite composers: John Williams, Michael Kamen and of course Ennio Morricone.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love anything by Bernard Herrmann. I am a big fan of Brian DePalma and one of his soundtracks in particular that I love is 'Snake Eyes' by Ryuichi Sakamoto. I play it over and over...

I also like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone.

Stewart...whenever I put on my LP of The Untouchables and crank it up I get goosebumps!

Bill

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good words Bill,
The only other movie opening titles that gave me goosebumps,was Theme from Beetlejuice by Danny Elfman,
outstanding.
regards
Stewart

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an orchestral suite recorded in 1980. Beautifully played, and great dynamics.

-

Can't do without Morricone [Wink]

-

Herrman + Hitchcock....

-

Akira Ifukube is best known as "the man who wrote the music to Godzilla" but he was a serious classical composer as well, and contributed to many films, like the Japanese classic "The Burmese Harp."

-

Japanese pressing of "The Godfather."
This is from late in the vinyl days, when quality control was going downhill for LPs, and the Japanese 'virgin vinyl' imports in many cases were the only really good ones left.

-

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 11, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard Herman's score for Vertigo is my vote for the best ever film score.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betty Blue anyone?
Stewart

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul....haunting for sure.

Claus....nice pictures, and thanks for reminding me of Akira Ifukube. I only know of him through the Godzilla films but like him alot.

Bill

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 11, 2010 07:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus those are brilliant album photos.

Here is one more... this one for western fans.
 -
The Big Country by Jerome Moross is one of my all time favourite sound tracks also Elmer Bernstein music for "The Magnificent Seven" is another. One LP record I had back in the late 60s and had to give it away "never come across another copy since" was "Mackenna's Gold" the music was by Quincy Jones the song "Old Turkey Buzzard" sung by Jose Feliciano...brilliant.

Another composer that stands out is the music by "John Barry" I remember watching "Born Free" at the cinema, I was very young then and its stuck in my mind ever since and thats from the 60s [Roll Eyes] song by Matt Munro.

Better stop.....so much good music I could go on forever [Eek!]

Graham.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham; I am afraid once I get going, I always have "just one more." [Smile] Since you mentioned Barry:

-

Bill, Ifukube is a bit difficult to get in the US as a lot of his stuff seems to have appeared only on domestic Japanese releases, but he's well worth seeking out.

For all the Disney buffs:

-

It's particularly interesting to listen to the Disney music separately, because we know the songs so well from the films. When you really listen, the orchestrations and arrangements show what craftmanship went into even these seemingly 'easy'-sounding melodies.

Claus.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Complimenti, Claus. Nice collection!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 08:33 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gian,
Once a collector, always a collector....I just wish I could stick to one thing.... [Big Grin]

Claus.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the same 'problem' [Wink] ! But super 8 is at the top of the list. Natural born addicted.

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham alert!

Here's McKenna and his gold if you want it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330377789604&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXI7&GUID=b4b416241230a0b582f62256fff84da1&itemid=330377789604&ff4=263602_263622

Ah, Ebay..... [Roll Eyes]

Claus.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 12, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claus
I have had a look at it and asked the wife she says...no...and suggests to keep looking out for one here in NZ, "thanks again" [Smile]

Here is one Disney LP that might be of interest, my son Steven bought for me as a Christmas present last year I think it might be a bit rare.
 -
The LP is dated 1966, Buena Vista records and manufactured in NZ by His Masters Voice all the tracks are original from Snow White HI HO to Mary Poppins Chim Chim Cheree except Its A Small World. Its interesting to read on the front cover that the nett proceeds from its sale would be donated by H.M.V. "NZ" Ltd to the Boy Scouts Association. I never new that Disney helped to fundraise organizations... very good.

Graham. [Smile]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 05:08 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very interesting indeed, Graham. I ignore if it's a rare LP, but I'd be proud to have it in my collection [Wink] !

--------------------

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 01:47 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any of the soundtrack experts please tell me which films Bert kampfaert did?. i remember him from my childhood and loved his music.I think.. and im not quite sure of the name, but my favourite track is safari swing?? can anyone help out?
Regards
Stewart

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC