8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What have you found in flea markets? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What have you found in flea markets?
Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 03:23 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Elmo ST1200 two track,unused, or at least,as new, in its box with all accessories,user's manual and two speakers, intact, for 220 euros.

Part of the stock of the biggest 8mm film hire library in Athens,which had closed at least ten years before. Mostly std 8 silent Film Office and Castle,all in identical plastic boxes,neatly titled and in fine condition.Imagine a small mountain,or big hill, one meter high and two meters wide,lying in the street waiting to be dug.For a while I felt just like Scrooge McDuck diving in his vault of money but in the end I came out with only about 15 reels of rarities,leaving the rest for some other lucky collector,as I was not interested in, for example, silent cutdowns of Laurel and Hardy talkies and such.I learned later that the next guy who came,with more money and less particularity than me,bought the whole mountain.

At an old-book fair, I acquired about 60 Stereographs,in fine condition ,ranging from 1883 to the early teens,for less than one euro each.

|  IP: Logged

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I saw on a flea marked how a man put a Elmo GS 1200 on his sale table, I asked him immediately "how much", he said 50 German Mark (that is 25 Euro). I paid immediately. This all was no longer than 1 minute. After that I checked the GS at home, it was in like new condition and it was with 1.0 lens. After that I sold my old one for 2000 German Mark (about 1000 Euro). And I still use my baby.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other end of the flea market...

I once ran across two films, both 200' silent 8mm of 'Rodan' and 'Godzilla vs the Thing' and the seller wanted $50.00 each! I thought to myself...at that price he'll be keeping those films!

I'm glad I already had them!

Bill

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, Bill [Wink]

I experienced something like that from a seller once, but the same seller also had amazing bargains!

He had a mint condition original 1967 pressing of "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd, selling it for only 50 kr (£5), when it's worth at least twenty times that much! However, he also sold a worn copy of "Ziggy Stardust" which he claimed was rare and signed (it was signed by one of the audio technicians on the album, duuuuuuuh), so he asked for 1500 kr for it! That's £150 for a worn record you can get in mint condition for a quid or two!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 05:30 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About ten years ago, my son surprised me with a great flea market find: an excellent condition Eiki SNT-O (16mm) for which he paid $5.00. This machine has logged hundreds of hours since and still runs like a jewel.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 05:43 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Many years ago I saw on a flea marked how a man put a Elmo GS 1200 on his sale table, I asked him immediately "how much", he said 50 German Mark (that is 25 Euro). I paid immediately. This all was no longer than 1 minute. After that I checked the GS at home, it was in like new condition and it was with 1.0 lens. After that I sold my old one for 2000 German Mark (about 1000 Euro). And I still use my baby.

Oemer... I think I'm a lucky man, but you are the top one!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 20, 2010 06:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oemer... I think I'm a lucky man, but you are the top one!
Me too, I thought my ugly GS2100 (v.3) which was paid for $75 (eqv. 53 EUR) was the best deal ever had. But you win Oemer... [Big Grin]

Even if we take the inflation rates into account, your is still cheaper.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Winbert, sorry... You are definitely right! I always forget about that bergain [Big Grin] ! Ciao.

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 01:28 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know that this was a good deal, but the Story as I bought my first Elmo GS 1200 was not a lucky day.
The seller wanted 1000 German Mark and he sold it to me for only 800 German Mark because he had a bad conscience.
Few minutes before I came, he sold another Elmo GS 1200 to another guy, but this was a Xenon machine.
It cost him only 1000 DM (500 Euro) but this was, after a phone call on hold for me.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 08:43 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'è sempre l'altro lato della medaglia (the other side of the coin)... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] Scrooge Mc Duck??,lol why are all us Scots regarded as mean?
I`ve kept this message short because i dont want to pay too much bandwidth...
S

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 28, 2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart
I only thing I can think of is that it was the early comedians who created this false myth to get a laugh [Roll Eyes] and unfortunately that image has stuck. I have never in my life come across anyone "mean" from Scotland, quite the opposite in fact [Wink] and Glasgow people without question are the best [Smile]

Graham.

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 03:21 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,i agree, [Smile]
I`ve yet to meet a tight git from Scotland...well except for that guy from Dunoon who tried to sell me right handed Haggis...
He He
Stewart

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not mean anything "meany", just wanted to best express how I felt at that particular time !

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Kidding Panayotis [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:18 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss is a scotsman and is a tight has a camels A**e in a sandstorm, I bought an Cinerex projector for £3 about 12 years ago at a carboot sale and Ive just sold it for £31.50.
Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260533119703&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D260533119703%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:21 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol John... [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:28 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey , its alright you laughing.............i made 27.50 on that, LOL [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 28, 2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well looking at a camel's A**e in a sandstorm [Roll Eyes] is one experence I have never had. I didn't no people did that type of thing, must be an old English tradition [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC