8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu-Ray Quality - Is it me....? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blu-Ray Quality - Is it me....?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Graham has a point there about the longevity of the BR format. The next generation of movies will be sold on memory sticks and the spinning disc will possibly be a thing of the past. Probably only a couple of years away. All the more reason to buy those DVD's and BR's while you can.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, maybe the memory sticks will be even better than Blu Ray.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 12:21 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about dvd-r's will a br player make these look better?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael O'Regan, my comments about Blu-Ray bashing were not directed at you. I was speaking in generalities.

Yes, better picture quality CAN increase enjoyment of a film good or bad. No, it will not make the film better or worse as that is strictly a personal opinion and has nothing to do with picture quality.

Your point seems to be that the movie is the same no matter how high the quality is. True, but ask Steven Spielberg which he would prefer, VHS or Blu-Ray? Which do you think he would choose? It's all the same, right?

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a matter of curiosity, does anybody remember how Speilberg was at first vowing that his movies would not be released on DVD? I remember that.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He never said that Osi. What he said was that his movies would not be released on DVD untill player sales reached a certain number. He just wanted to make sure the format would last. Once that number was reached, he allowed his movies to be released.

Remember, there wasn't a lot of faith in DVD when it was introduced. VHS was so huge that it seemed impossible that a format that had (at the time) no recording capabilities could surpass it.

So far, Close Encounters and Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull have been released to Blu-Ray. The rest of the Indiana Jones films are rumored for this fall.

Oh, just remembered! Minority Report was announced this morning for Blu-Ray. So looks like Spielberg feels that Blu-Ray is going to be around for a while.

George Lucas has released the animated Clone Wars movie and the entire first season of the CGI Clone Wars series. The live action movies are in the works for either this year or next.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 26, 2010 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, Spielberg also said he would not release the last Indiana Jones to digital theaters if they still had 35mm capability, that he wanted as many theaters to run it on film as possible.

Obviously he was over-ruled by the studio. Ahhhh, the almighty dollar! [Wink]

...and memory sticks would indeed be awesome. A much better format for storing the material.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 27, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the truth that we really don't know how stabile and longlasting digital stotage is. We already know that a CD can last a long time, but can last as short a time as a year or so, given conditions.

Film, as we have already seen and proven, can last well over a hundred years. If the early silents were lubricated and cleaned and taken care of like todays prints, that longevity would be even longer.

So many things can affect digital storage.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 27, 2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

What has Spielberg got to do with anything? I know he's a filmmaker but his feelings about DVD, Blu Ray, Huge TV's, HD, etc. don't necessarily have any more validity than yours or mine.
He'll just have his opinion.
-Mike [Smile]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about DVD'Rs will a blue ray player make these look better? [Confused]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

[ August 01, 2014, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 10:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I was just saying that Spielberg would choose the format that would best represent his movies and right now, that's Blu-Ray.

Look if you're happy with what you have, fine. Some of us want better than "good enough". What's so hard to understand about that?

You know, I suspect that if we ever meet in person, we would either become very good friends or I would try and shove a Blu-Ray disc down your throat! [Wink] [Smile]

Jim Schrader, I don't understand your DVD-R question. As I said, upconversion is a scam. All that's happening is that the player is taking the 480i/p content and scaling it to whatever resolution the player is set for. The resolution on the disc itself cannot change. Any improvement is because the scaling is bypassing the noise reduction and other filtering many DVD players have.

I actually spent some time once, flipping through the resolutions on my Oppo and I never once saw a difference in the DVD's picture quality. It looked the same at all resolutions no matter what the player was set at. I eventually left the player set at 480i because the video projector upscales the signal to 720p anyway.

It's the same with DVD-R. Whatever is recorded on it will still be the same quality no matter the resolution it's being shown at.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 28, 2010 01:32 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I understand THAT some want better than "good enough" - I just don't understand WHY.

We would be good friends, I'm sure - but, on occasion you would probably want to shove a Blu Ray disc down my throat!!
Enjoy your Blu Ray!!
[Smile] [Smile]

[ January 28, 2010, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 28, 2010 09:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas ...

I think that it can depend on just what DVD your watching.

I bought an Asian box set of the BBC Sherlock Holmes series
(an excellent series, by the way!), and it only played on an earlier region free Coby regular DVD player.

I bought my upconverter 1080p Memorex DVD player, and it was like night and day! The image quality really showed a difference. I just thought it was a botched DVD set. It wasn't.

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim

It's hard to say if a BluRay player (and they're not all equal) will make a DVD-R look better. The problem is there is such a variation in quality among DVD-Rs. Is it progressive or interlaced? Is it done correctly? (You'd be amazed how many DVDs are out that have errors on them in formating or compression and the way the original signal was handled).

Osi,
Most of the new BluRay discs are coming from new masters. Slowly the studios re-master films (generally on a seven year cycle). For example, if you have the first release of "Showboat" on DVD you'll see a lot of MPEG noise around the title letters. If you have the second release, it isn't there.

The problem with comparing BluRay is that it's largely a factor of the display device. If you have a 56 inch screen capable of 1080p display, you'll see a bigger difference between DVD and BluRay. For example in "Angles & Demons" in blu-ray the large crowd sequences have much more detail and you can "see people" instead of just "colors of blobs in the background".

Your problem with still vs movement is a major problem with all the new displays. With a film in a theatre you're actually staring at a blank screen about 60% of the time. With the digital displays they work like your computer and only the pixels that have changed are updated. This works great on computers but when you look at a movie at the praised 24P mode you see a lot of stuttering of the picture as the camera pans where there are large seen changes. This has been overcome with a lot of "imaginary" frames where the display processor interpolates frames that would have been there. But there are reviews of the bluray "Casablanca" with time code to specific problem with specific sets and players.

There's a lot that goes into all of this and look for more problems/observations as digital projectors invade theatres and they find more areas that have to be fixed/tweaked due to the method of display.

But generally, the larger your screen with the higher resolution, the more likely you are to notice the difference between blu-ray and dvd. And a good dvd with good upconversion can look much better than the same disc on a regular player with a lower resolution display.

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:26 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in the future we could be just downloading movies and other media right onto a hard drive and storing them that way. In a sense you could then tranfer them to a disk or pen drive.
All at blue ray quality or beyond

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 10:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bingo, John! Downloading is going to be the next step in home video. But not for 10 years at least. They need to get the kinks worked out. But, it IS in the works.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 09:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What will you do then? Save onto memory sticks and then trasnport the memory stick to your digital TV?

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The long term plan is to get rid of all physical media. You'll buy a "license" to view say "Casablanca" and then you'll just choose it from your tv set that's connected to the new fiber connection port and it'll start playing.

That way the studios will have back the way it was in a theatre, you won't "own" anything you can sell (under the first sale of copyright). So they get back control and everyone that wants to view the program has to either buy it or go to Osi's house.

John

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC