8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 13, 2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much like The Cat and the Canary, Brewster's Millions (1985) starts out with a message from the grave by Hume Cronyn who plays the deceased great-uncle of Brewster played by Richard Prior. Brewster is presented with an offer he can't refuse.

The only shot of the projector is an extreme close-up. This looks more like something you would see in a planetarium. [Confused]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 14, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awakenings (1990) was directed by Penny Marshall. It was nominated for three Oscars including Best Picture and Robert De Niro for Best Actor. Based on true events, De Niro plays Leonard Lowe a victim of an encephalitis epidemic as a child that has left him and a group of others like him in a catatonic state for decades. Robin Williams plays Dr. Malcom Sayer the doctor who administers an experimental drug that for a short time revives Leonard and the others.

-

--------------------
Janice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2012 11:25 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a richard marx video "should have known better" his girlfriend is shown dancing in front of the screen when he decides to join in the loving gets out of hand and the screen comes down and the projector crashes to the floor man what a waste.

[ February 21, 2012, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2012 11:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Capricorn One (1977) always seemed like a made-for-TV movie to me with such actors as Elliott Gould, James Brolin and Brenda Vaccaro...and let's not forget O.J. Simpson (way before he became public enemy number one.) This movie is about NASA staging a major hoax and almost getting away with it.

The vacation home movies Brenda Vaccaro shows Elliot Gould is a key element in revealing the truth.

-

[ February 17, 2012, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 17, 2012 01:54 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hellzapoppin' (1941) was a film adaption of the very successful Broadway show of the same name. Shemp Howard (one of the Three Stooges) begins the movie as the projectionist of a cinema. This film has some great visual humor.

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 18, 2012 12:32 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 (2011) was written and directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg. It stars Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights TV series). The story takes place in the summer of 1979 when a group of young friends witness a train crash while filming their own movie. Subsequent to the crash they decide to investigate several unexplained events taking place in their town.

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 19, 2012 01:37 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The storyline for Night of the Comet (1984) has a comet crashing into Earth and pretty much wiping out every living thing...except for two teenage girls...a group of underground dwellers...and a handfull of zombies. [Eek!] The clips are from a scene just before the comet hits...where one of the soon-to-be surviving girls meets up with a guy who works as a projectionist at the movie theater.

-

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 02:13 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

You're on a roll!

Great pictures and findings...

I've been to the El Rey theater before as seen on "Night of the Comet" to see bands though, no movies were playing but, I did see many movie stars there.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 19, 2012 03:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald...I'll keep going until I run out of movies.

I drove by the el Rey when I visited my son in January. He's an actor living in Hollywood very close to the theater. I'm not sure if he's ever gone there to see a movie, but he see's lot's of movie stars [Cool]

[ February 19, 2012, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this classic batman episode frank gorshin plays the riddler is the director and has fun operating the projector as well.
 -
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 20, 2012 12:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great Jim...you always find such great TV moments.

BTW...I think I'm seeing double...Looks like the Batman pics replaced the pics in your previous Richard Marx post.

--------------------
Janice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, the Brewster's Millions pic looks like a 35mm proj. backed by a carbon arc. But the pic looks reversed.Allan.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Double Exposure Jim, Janice is right...what happened to Richard Marx?

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2012 11:31 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice, when i capture the screen caps I did not change the name of the pictures so they must have over ridden the previous I just happen to dvr that episode saturday night not knowing it was on what luck huh? i have eliminated the pics for now.

--------------------
jim schrader

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 22, 2012 01:42 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to find some way to include one of my all time favorite movies and although there are no visable projectors...there are movie cameras :-) Un Homme et une femme (A Man and a Woman) (1966). I have both the French and the English dubbed version...but I prefer it in French. Claude Lelouch directed this beautiful film that tells more with actions and thoughts then dialogue as scenes switch back a forth from color to black & white. It stars Anouk Aimée, Jean-Louis Trintignant and Pierre Barouh. Ya-ba-da-ba-da!

-

--------------------
Janice

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 02:54 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

in the movie "Le Grand Blond avec une chaussure noire" (1972, English title: "The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe") Bernard Blier enters a "fnac"-store and passes shelves with Double8-/Super8-cameras... however I haven't seen any projectors. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=HVwHg6wjFvc go to 6min 47s )

Jörg

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 23, 2012 01:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Targets (1968) Boris Karloff comes to the rescue when a sniper starts shooting people in a drive-in movie.

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 24, 2012 12:47 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Death Ship (1980) this humongous projector just happens to be all setup just waiting for someone to wander in to find it... and then know exactly the switch to flip to turn it on [Smile] I'm impressed...but that's about all that impressed me with this movie. George Kennedy as a Nazi ship captain?....I don't think so. [Confused]

-

[ February 24, 2012, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 26, 2012 07:04 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectors were used also in "THE IPCRESS FILE" with Michael
Caine,"FATHOM" with Raquel Welch,"THE WRONG ARM OF THE LAW"with Peter Sellers, Bell & Howells all, plus Billy Cristal using a little 8mm job in "Memories of Me."

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 26, 2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding Hugh...finding screen shots for these movies will keep me busy for awhile [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 26, 2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou Janice, I nearly forgot the film"THE MAGIC BOX" with
Robert Donat.I'm sorry I can't help with screen shots as I don't
possess a digital camera,maybe someday.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Stunt Man (1980) has several scenes with a 35mm portable projector being used to screen dailies at the hotel they are filming the movie within the movie.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 26, 2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann released "Smarty Cat" years ago Its the only Tom and Jerry I can think of that has a projector in it. The Super8 print is excellent "really nice colour" and is well worth looking out for.

I dont have any Super8mm screen shots, but here are a couple from the net [Smile]
 -
 -
Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 26, 2012 11:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Graham!

Now...is that a Keystone or a Dejur?

[ February 27, 2012, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 27, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very predictable...but always fun to watch Burt Reynolds as the aging stunt man in Hooper (1978)

-

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC