8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Debonair Film Collectors List

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Debonair Film Collectors List
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 01, 2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any members here subscribe to this? It's a booklet put out monthly and collectors provide details of films they wish to sell. If sold, the sellers receive 75% of the price. At least 80% of the lists are 16mm films and the rest is Super 8, lenses, leader, etc.

I occasionally buy films and some nice rarities sometimes appear. What baffles me, though, is that so few of the people selling features say anything about condition. Rob Foxon, who runs the service, does a good job and checks films before passing them on - so buyers should not receive anything in poor shape, and he does encourage sellers to provide details. But I wish more would do so, because there have been many times when I would pay the asking price of a feature if I knew it was excellent condition, but I wouldn't if it just turns out to be OK but no better. Who wants to pay (e.g.) £195 to take a chance? Do any other subscribers have any thoughts on this?

[ July 01, 2010, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 01, 2010 03:21 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might help me, but the price is a bit steep - Cheers, Shorty

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 01, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I like to know as much as possible about condition. I'm not terribly familiar with the Debonair list. I picked one up at BFCC a couple years ago so I know the one you mean.

Is there no contact to whom enquiries re: condition can be directed?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 01, 2010 10:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really possible to get further comments from sellers but I have sometimes said to Rob things like I'd only want the film if it has certain attributes or is the longer version, if different ones exist, and he has consulted the seller. He also insists that it is made clear if a film is faded. But he has a lot of calls when the list is sent out so I don't like to bother him with too many points, so in many instances I just don't express interest in the film. It's a shame because the list has a lot of films on it and some good and interesting titles turn up. The July list has 'The Wizard of Oz' on 16mm for £195, which could be a bargain in comparison to one that recently went for $4,500 on eBay!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 02, 2010 03:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Debonair List has been going for years. It was run by Gillian Saunders of Debonair Film Services (ex Watsofilms) of Coventry. When she sadly died a few years ago Rob Foxon of Tua Film Service in Leicester took over the "Debonair List".

Rob only sees the actual films when they are sold. The seller sends them to him and he then re-packages them to send on to the purchaser.

This way the seller does not know who is the purchaser, and vice-versa. Rob will occasionally "pull out" a print which he considers unacceptable.

I agree that his sellers should be more accurate with their descriptions which would be a great help to potential buyers.

A few years ago I cleared out a client's 16mm library of over a 1000 films and used Rob's services monthly for a couple of years (not "dumping" them all at once.) I tried to be helpful with my descriptions, such as condition, year of production, state of colour, film stock, polyester, etc.

This way I had no problems with their sales, although one customer sent back a print to Rob with the complaint that the new joins that he had made fell apart. It appeared that he was not familiar with Estar stock and was trying to use film cement, not only that, he had never heard of tape joins!

--------------------
Maurice

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 02:29 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a similar list in Australia put out by a collector called Reg Wildman; now sadly deceased. He sold on behalf of other collectors and you never knew who actually owned the film. There were few comments about condition, mostly about the stars in the film.

These lists are from the days where many were nervous about owning and re-selling 16mm films. This way their identity was protected.

I bought several prints off this list and had both near mint prints arrive and red ones as well.

Today in Australia we have Reel Deals (search for it on google if you want to subscribe) and I believe many of the people who once sold films through the old listing that Reg put out now sell and buy through this.

David

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 02:18 PM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe to the Debonair list,and find Rob Foxon to be on the ball regarding what collectors want.I have only had one occasion to complain about a film,it was badly scratched and Rob took it back and fully re-imbursed me.I would recommend TUA to anyone.
Regards,
Peter.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rob is very good. I am however surprised by how many collectors cannot answer the questions about film quality on items they are selling that they ask when buying.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2010 05:22 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd second both Pter & Joe - Rob is always VERY helpful (mind you, I sometimes think his sense of humour is worse than mine!)

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2010 01:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this something that people outside this thread can subscribe to? [Wink]

Is there an email or address one could inquire to if one was to live in the states and wanted to peruse said lists?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2010 04:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino
Here is some information.
http://www.kb-electronics.co.uk/links.html
Rob's address is:- 17 Kingsway, Leicester, LE3 0SJ.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2010 05:17 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly sure Rob isn't on email, he has never advertised an address. I'm unsure of whether he has any overseas subscribers, he may well not have as he has a busy schedule and anyone overseas would probably get their lists later, which would put them at a big disadvantage, considering that you have to get on the phone fast to get some items. In fact I'd like to see him sending lists out slightly before the day when orders are taken, because if you're somewhere where the post is delivered early, you have an advantage over people in an area where it is delivered in the afternoon.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2010 05:44 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Adrian,Rob does'nt have an email address.The link given on Maurice's post is for Kevin Brown,who services and repairs projectors in Nottingham,and is recommended by Rob.
Regards,
Peter.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC