8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Print sent to other side of Earth and back by misstake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Print sent to other side of Earth and back by misstake
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just felt I had to tell you this.
I recently bought the trailer to The Spy Who Loved Me from Derann, and got a confirmation that they sent it on october 7. Usually a small parcel like this takes 3-4 working days to arrive to Sweden, but time went on and no film. On thursday, 21, I almost wrote to Gary to ask what had happened, but decided to wait and se if it would arrive on friday, and to my surprise it did.

When examining the envelope I saw a stamped message that said "MISSENT TO THAILAND".
I don't know what's the most intriguing, that this trailer has gone to the other side of Earth and back, or that Royal Mail missend so often to Thailand that they have a readymade stamp to use.
Now this trailer is the most travelled print in my collection, quite some detour on what should have been a easy in Europe delivery.

Just like to add, NONE of this is the fault of Derann, the adress was correct, it was someone at Royal Mail who had a really bad day and made a HUGE misstake.

Do anybody else have some similar story to share perhaps?

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, Royal Mail where I live are a joke.

Not a month goes by without us having to swap mail with our various neighbours; usually mail which has made it to our road but then (in the hands of our various "postmen") ends up shoved into random letter boxes...often we get letters for a similar road name in a totally different town!

It is a total disgrace really but, being british we just shrug our shoulders, put up with it and re-do the job of the "postman" ourselves [Roll Eyes]

Earlier this year I bought a really lovely replacement xenovaron lens for my Beaulieu 708EL from a fellow forum member on ebay. He duly posted it first thing with insured "signed for" postage. Since I was at work next day, the "postman" tried to deliver it, then, as is standard practice, left a card to tell me to collect it from out local sorting office next day.

I turned up first thing only to be informed that they had "lost" it.

Not to worry though as they often employed "temporary postmen" and it was probably, "just stuck under the front seat of his car or something"!!! And, "could I come back in an hour or so when he came back on shift?".

Well having delayed work for another hour I returned to be told, "oh, he's late today, but I'm sure if you come back later we'll have found it."

Anyway, I came back at 5 o'clock to be met with a beaming postmaster who was really pleased that they'd "found" it!!!!

And he was ever so happy to inform me that, "this happens a lot, I told you it would just be in his car somewhere, we get this all the time..."

[Confused] [Confused]

I love this country.

Anyway the lens is a beauty [Smile] [Wink] !

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story with a happy ending! [Big Grin]

It wasn't me, and it wasn't a film, but I recall the tale of a musician from the US who went on a tour with his band in Europe. They land in England to find that his electronic organ (not a Hammond B-3, those you cannot lose) had gone missing.

Upon inquiring, he was told it was 'lost'....
He gets through the tour with rentals and goes home, and 6 months pass. One day there is a call. They have found his instrument.
It has been in Australia. It has been in the lost and found of an Australian airport for 6 months. It has now been returned to the US, and when will he be home to accept it?

The driver arrives with his long-missing keyboard.

As the musician himself said: "That keyboard had a far more interesting tour than I did."

Then, on a personal note, there were the two bags with our 35mm photo gear which went missing in Dubai, showing up in rotting leather bags after months of humid absence and with our Metz 60 flash destroyed. The cameras, being film ones, worked fine...which kind of brings us around to the beginning post, albeit with a stretch...not completely derailing the thread, I hope.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC