8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Oldest theatre in Australasia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oldest theatre in Australasia
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 23, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the main news last night there was an interesting item about this old cinema in Devonport Auckland NZ re-opening. In this day and age its really nice to see this kind of support.

Check out the TVNZ video its under "Oldest theatre in Australasia set to reopen" its a news video that runs for 2.00 minutes. I cant give you a direct link however just Google it [Smile]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2010 10:34 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Graham. It may well be that we don't have a purpose built cinema surviving that is older than 1912.

We do have the oldest drive-in in Australasia however just down the road from me...........

Channel 9 Today Show

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was really great seeing you on the tube, David!!!

Jorge Rondao
Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Jorge Rondao   Author's Homepage   Email Jorge Rondao   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely.

--------------------
Lets show another movie

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 24, 2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

What a great story. I think the projectionist is as old as the cinema! They tore down our old cinema last year. Nobody supported it. I saw my first 007 film there for 20 cents. Here's a link to the video.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/oldest-theatre-in-australasia-set-reopen-2-00 -video-3850823/video

Dave

I enjoyed your report. We have a drive-in about 25 minutes from where I live. 20.00 a car load. Love the dancing popcorn and hotdog adverts. How many times did you drive off with the speaker still hanging on your window?

PatD

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2010 02:37 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your comments guys.

As much as I like drive-in speakers, FM has been the best thing for drive-in sound. We still have a few posts with speakers, but they are in the garden area in front of the projection building. They are no longer driven away with, damaged, stolen or wear out.

Its a great old drive-in trick, first they brought their own seats, now they have to bring their own sound system!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2010 07:23 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice story David!

I didn't know you ran a drive-in. I agree with you....35mm is the best. [Smile]

Bill

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2010 07:39 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another nice story Graham!

It is nice to see people come together to save a landmark like that. It must be pretty special for that projectionist to have been there so long and to see people still enjoying it and supporting it.

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, that was very interesting. I have never been to a drive in but if we ever go to Aussie for a holiday it will be on the "must do" list. [Smile]

Bill, The projectionist being 82 years old and enjoying the job is really something.... we used to have a visitor at the cinema where I work he started projecting way back in 1945 and although retired was always given the VIP treatment from the staff when he turned up. I once asked him...did he enjoy the 50 years of being a projectionist and his reply was that he did "every bit of it" always full of interesting stories, sadly he died a few years back. At the funeral service I remember everyone recieved an "Admit One" admission ticket that was printed on the service notes... always had a good sense of humour [Smile]

Pasquale, Thanks for putting that link up.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC