8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ice Station Zebra and the 60s

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice Station Zebra and the 60s
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 02:52 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I bought as new a Super8 copy of "Ice Station Zebra" although the movie itself was not a great success at the time of its release back in 1968 the Super8 3/400 footer was quite well done, its unfortunate my print has faded into the sunset.

Today we watched the DVD and I must admit, even though it comes across as a 60s cold war movie its still enjoyable to watch. One thing I think the dvd cover has made a mistake with is that it states it has a 2.40:1 ratio that would be for the 35mm release but in the movie introduction on the DVD it mentions "Cinerama". Originally filmed in Super Panavision 70 this dvd release comes across as taken from the 70mm with a ratio of 2.20:1.. anyway its an impressive picture along with the 5:1 sound.

The film itself refers to the Polaris Submarine base in the "Holy Loch" that itself brought back memories of the base as we lived close to it and got accustomed to the Americans and its existance. We moved to the town in 1964 where I went to school until I left to come out here in 1973. Its interesting to note that American children attached to this base had to go through the same schooling as I did, nothing special for them. It is stated from a "Readers Digest" artice at the time...I will share it with you as reading it made me [Smile] .

Quote. Some 300 American children attend the Dunoon and neighboring schools, play soccer, cricket, lacrosse, learn about Mary Queen of Scots and an assortment of Scottish kings and queens that even English children rarely hear of. Instead of taking school buses, many walk or bicycle to school instead of watching TV every evening they struggle with mountains of homework. They have become imprevious to rain and the bone chilling dampness, even their mothers admit that they have never looked better.

Adding to that.. some American servicemen have learned to play the "bagpipes" The decision at the time was made when the base was established was that the American contingent would be encouraged to take part in the community's life, and to live as Scots do.....and they did.

Well without doubt, as with any base it did have its share of problems but on the hole they did a lot for the community and got on very well. Later on during my apprentiship years I got the chance to work on American cars which in my view was much much better than the British stuff. To this day I still have and use a quarter drive snap-on socket set given to me from an American from that submarine base.

Well enough rambling, the 60s are are long gone as with the base and thankfully so is the cold war and the need to have it, but every time I watch "Ice Station Zebra" and reference to the "Holy Loch" it brings back memories...here are some photos
 -

-
Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown, Rock Hudson and Patrick McGoohan.
 -
good cast.
 -
The real Holy Loch.. "photo from the net" showing the nuclear powered and armed submarine "USS George Washington" unlike the film submarines were berthed to the ship not a pier. The floating dry dock is on the far right of the photo and looking at those hills...its a winter shot.

Graham.

PS.There are some very interesting web-sites dedicated the base.

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 06:48 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review. I saw this movie in Cinerama when it first came out, what an experience. I have the 400' version and the color has held up well. I had this on 16mm until I sold my collection. Very well done film for it's time. Good performance by Patrick McGoohan. The show down with the Russians was the best part. The soundtrack was excellent also.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several other films that claimed to be in "Cinerama" but were actually anamorphic wide screen or 70mm. They used the "Cinerama" name as a marketing tool such as Grand Prix and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Grand Prix in cinerama also. They used a split screen shot a lot. It was really cool. I wonder is that available on S8?

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2010 09:27 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it ever was released. I purchased it on DVD and it is truly great camera work.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2010 07:53 AM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the HD-DVD of 'Grand Prix' and the picture quality is excellent. If you project it on a 7 foot screen, you are there with the drivers as they blast through the streets of Monaco.
Don't know if it's out on Blu-ray yet.

I don't believe 'Ice Station Zebra' exists on a High Def format yet.
Even though I watch my movies on discs these days, I do miss the smell, the heat and the noise of a projector clacking away behind me. I particularly miss the smell of a brand new print, straight from the Lab. When I worked in Shepperton Studios in the late 80's, a group of us would gather round for the opening of a film can, straight from Rank or Technicolor. It's something that you never forget.

Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 26, 2013 02:38 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the 60s here is a movie well worth watching on dvd. It was released way back 1966, its brilliant. If you like its "Its A Mad Mad World", well this one is a treat as well.

So if you are getting bored with Hobbits [Roll Eyes] this is American/Russian 60s paranoia at its best [Big Grin] If you need something to "cheer" you up, this movie is just the thing. Jonathan Winters is brilliant as with all the cast.
 -
 -

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2013 08:42 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nice clean original print of this on 35mm in IB Technicolor which is a roadshow print.Patrick Magoon being one of my well respected actors of all time along with an all star cast makes this great viewing for all.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC