8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » checking in...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: checking in...
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 21, 2011 02:47 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd peek in and find out what everyone's up to...I know a few ppl have emailed me over the years asking about me...well, I'm still alive though that doesn't seem to mean much since I've basically been exiled from the USA...the one place I've truly felt at home and thought I would stay for a lifetime...but no, fate decided that I should not be able to maintain my green card and lose my status as a permanent resident - just when I was getting ready to become naturalized too. :~(
I'm stuck in Argentina now, Buenos Aires, no idea what'll happen the next few years. I've been crying myself to sleep lately just wanting to go back home, back to Ohio or some other state, I don't know how to deal with this extreme homesickness and bitterness over all I've lost.
btw, there's no super-8 scene in Argentina to speak of, not that I'm aware anyway. Since 95% of my belongings are now in my native Germany at my parents' retirement house, I'm half thinking about simply selling off all my film stuff and not bothering to have it shipped to Argentina (and I've heard horror stories about customs stealing stuff or confiscating it until you bribe them to release it). Who knows.
I'm not the same Jan who enjoyed posting here regularly a few years ago and proudly shared details of his "Elmo ST-1600HD" monster projector...I feel broken and hopeless.
Well, that was more than I wanted to say for this time...
Wondering about everyone I've known here, Kevin F, Chip G, lots of others (I've honestly forgotten a lot of names)...
I miss eBay and Kraft mac'n'cheese. Sigh.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 21, 2011 03:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan,

Despite it all I'm glad to see you here again. This Forum has always been a cast of characters and you remain one of the headliners here.

Our little world is moving along with the normal progress of life. Some have passed on, all are older. Derann stopped printing new films almost 3 years ago: it was fun while it lasted. This Forum is now one of a bunch: same twenty or thirty guys talking about the same things!

For myself I am almost 50 now and adjusting to the aches and pains and the idea that I'm no longer young. It's OK because I've learned to appreciate life and my relationships with others more than I ever have, so I am more content than I ever have been.

I pray that you find the same.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 21, 2011 06:04 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, long time - Old Shorty has the same linen out to dry, (asking about the same films and such) - Argentina, well that was home to a great dealer years back, Enrique Bouchard, who came off selling the rarest 8mm prints (some I have) - Lost good friend, John Black recently, had some seaside shows in NJ - We're all keeping ever-active; trading/buying/selling and the latest news world-wide comes our way - Stay with us and all news please - Danke, Shorty

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan, enjoyed reading your posts a few years ago when I was new here. So sorry that things have not turned out so happily. I pray that you find an answer to your dilemmas and hopelessness, very sad. Thanks for saying hi!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan-I had often wondered about you. Often I would see your old posts and wondered what happened to you. There are so many illegal immigrants here I don't see why you couldn't stay. At least Argentina has good looking women. Take care and I hope someday you are able to return.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JAN ...

Great to hear from you! Sory to hear of your circumstances. You have no desire to move to Germany? Keep those films, my friend, for, if you part with them, there will be one less thing to bring you joy, even if only as it flickers on the screen.

Take care

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 03, 2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Thank you so much for checking in. You've been greatly missed here on the Forum. My fervent hope is that things get better for you very quickly. Please keep posting!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 04, 2011 03:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan. I just wanted to send good wishes to you and to say you have been missed. Take care of yourself and we will keep you in our prayers here. If you would like I will buy you some Kraft mac'n'cheese and post it out to you. Here is my email if you can let me have an address to send it to vespariderathotmaildotcodotuk
Take care my friend.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 07, 2011 02:43 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks so much everyone...I don't have a realistic chance of ever making it back to the USA, I'm kinda scared of the idea of living in Argentina, and yes I hate Germany with every fiber of my being...even though I'm born and raised here, this country is completely foreign to me. Lately I've toyed with the idea of moving to the UK...it would be ideal in so many ways, no language barrier, no restrictions on immigration, different lifestyle, still in Europe and not so far away, only thing is I haven't had a job in 4 years and have no qualifications...not much hope of ever supporting myself financially.
If just once, life could just throw me a bone in the form of a lottery win or something...

edit: forgot to mention I left Buenos Aires and went back to my parents' place (Bremen, Germany) a few days ago...my GF is miserable of course and I didn't want to break her heart by leaving either but I just couldn't take it anymore...had severe panic attacks for almost 2 weeks now and only been able to sleep with strong medication some nights.

hmm, what are the nicest and most fun places in England these days? Not exactly keen on going for central London, but don't want to be too far out in quiet rural areas either...don't know much about other major cities though...just that I want to be south where the weather is the most agreeable throughout the year...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2011 03:16 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan
Hang in there, and focus on what you have as that will always make the dark times go away...If you don't want to stay in Germany and can't return to the US, the UK seems a perfect fit, and think of the fun you will have going to the BFCC, and sharing your passion with the other UK collectors....Good things are just around the corner I'm sure....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC