8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Current Status of 35mm Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Current Status of 35mm Film
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 11:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the current status of 35 mm film in Hollywood feature movie production? Is film still the preferred and dominant medium, or are most feature films now shot in hi-def digital?
Need to know for my upcoming film class.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody supposedly in the know tells me that the next Bond film is originating on digital.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 12:27 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

You might find this article interesting from an earlier thread:

http://www.slate.com/id/2266654/pagenum/all/#p2

Well I wouldn't go looking for a job as a projectionist. My friend is a VP for a major theater chain here in the USA and they have all ready upgraded most of their equipment to digital. The ones they couldn't upgrade were closed. Fortunately they kept most of their employees. As far as a percentage I really don't know.

PatD

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 01:04 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they go digital, is celluloid even needed to film with?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until now, we can still easy to distinguish film shot in digital vs. celluloid. Not because of the resolution (which I doubt I can). During the high speed scene, video is still inferior to celluloid. Do you know why?

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ar Rob Young's suggestion, I carried out a survey of the IMDB Technical Specs for the current top 10 box office films. Here are the results:

1. Captain America 35mm Kodak Vision 2

2. Harry Potter 35mm Kodak Vision 2

3. Friends With Benefits - Digital HDTV

4. Transformers 35mm Kodak Vision 2

5. Horrible Bosses Digital HDTV

6. Zookeeper 35mm film

7. Cars 2 Digital

8. Winnie The Poo - not specified

9. Bad Teacher 35mm film

10. Midnight in Paris 35mm Kodak Vision 2

So 60% of the current top 10 box office movies originated on 35 mm film.
Looks like Hollywood still prefers film origination. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2011 08:21 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work and live in Hollywood and I'll tell you most big budget features are still shot on 35mm.

RED and Alexa has taken over a fair share of the "commercial" market and ALL of the music video market. DSLR is slowly creeping up but as far as real productions and not indie stuff it's still not being used as much as people think.

Now adays everything has a D.I. and no one even comes close to cutting the negative. But 35mm is still alive and well from my perspective.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2011 03:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Winbert, give us the answer!

Very interesting thread Paul. Well done and good luck with your film class.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 29, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect 35mm to continue to be used for photographing movies for a good while longer, but as far as exhibition, you can expect to see it completely gone in the US by 2013.

What I find more interesting are the aspect ratios:
quote:
1. Captain America 35mm Kodak Vision 2 - SCOPE

2. Harry Potter 35mm Kodak Vision 2 - SCOPE

3. Friends With Benefits - Digital HDTV - SCOPE

4. Transformers 35mm Kodak Vision 2 - SCOPE

5. Horrible Bosses Digital HDTV - SCOPE

6. Zookeeper 35mm film - SCOPE

7. Cars 2 Digital - SCOPE

8. Winnie The Poo - not specified - FLAT

9. Bad Teacher 35mm film - FLAT

10. Midnight in Paris 35mm Kodak Vision 2 (don't know)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 30, 2011 08:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come on Winbert, give us the answer!
John, actually my posting above is more to be my question.

However, since you were also asking, then I was looking for the answer and this is the answer (my interpretation) after running around the google.

It seems that everything shot on video, although the camera is set up with 24 fps (to have a film looks), however, the way of pictures taken is different with 35mm.

The HD video is taking picture by pixels not by frames. Secondly and most importantly, while 35mm using shutter wheel to create the pictures, HD video using scanning from left to right and from top to bottom in very speedy.

Now, what Brad mention above is true that today it is already in the market an HD VIdeo with rolling shutter (= shutter wheel?), i.e Arri D20 and D21. 4K resolution, 12bit 4:4:4. colorspace. The physical body of this camera does just look like today' 35mm camera.

-

If with this rolling shutter will create exactly like 35mm (because of frame by frame picture), like it or not, like Brad mentioned above,....bye-bye 35mm celluloid and cinema also will be full digital.

It is sad but true,

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2011 03:45 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's inevitable Winbert. Thanks for looking it all up as your conclusions do make perfect sense.

Interestingly I have a video camera that takes images as good as my Super 8 Canon 814 but it cost several thousand pounds to get one up to that standard. The reason I mention this though is that if 1080 line professional cameras have reached the quality of Super 8 then 4000 line cameras won't be too many years away from the quality of 35mm, plus introducing proper shutters will no doubt hasten the day.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC