8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 19, 2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann changed film collecting for me.

Years ago I only collected silents. One day I found out on a filmmaking forum that there was this company in England making brand new prints: i was absolutely amazed at it, but it was a dissapointment because they made no silents.

I stewed over it a few weeks and announced to my wife I was buying a sound projector.

She said:

"You're buying a ....?

-but you already have a movie projector!" (Imagine just one!)

-but I did it anyway and it opened up this entire world of new films: cartoons,'scope, features, Laurel and Hardy, stereo, home theater. It was wonderful!

I have very little doubt that without taking that extra step, I would have become bored years ago and maybe today I'd be doing something else. Because of Derann I've had a great decade enjoying a satisfying hobby.

As a business, they've always been more than fair dealing with me. I've got a lot to thank them for.

My biggest regret at this point is a didn’t find out about them in 1981 instead of 2001.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian and staff,

So sad news [Frown] but I understand given the current climate we are in.

I will so miss phoning Ged with an order, Im glad I have so many Derann films in my collection that I will treasure forever. They are the best for quality.

Im also glad I went to the NFCC just once (in 2006) and I wanted to go next year but I still have so many memories of that magical weekend in 2006.

All the best for the future to everyone at Derann.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

from Graham Sinden

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2011 08:44 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of the day, a big tip o' the hat to Derann and its dedicated staff. For a company to be operating in the film collecting business (in the age of digital) right up until 2011 is amazing indeed. Given that a business is in business to be profitable, we film collectors need to fully appreciate their endeavors. But, more importantly, we have to keep the Derann staff in our thoughts as they move on to a new chapter in their life. They have contributed enormously to my enjoyment of the hobby and, for that, I am forever grateful.

While there are indeed used films in circulation, this is a heavy dose of reality in terms of the state of the new supply of films into the hobby. It makes it even more imperative to support (with our money) new films that do happen to hit the market -- or we're hastening the inevitable death of our hobby.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 02:52 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... or we're hastening the inevitable death of our hobby.

The hobby does not depend on new prints to survive. If it did, it would've died long ago.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 06:22 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that partly depends on how you define 'survive'. 9.5 collecting still survives but due to the age and scarcity of the material available, I suspect that very few new 9.5 collectors have joined the hobby in the last 30 years. In relation to Super 8, surely relatively young new collectors were being drawn into the hobby in the 1980s and 1990s, because they were attracted by what was being released. That's far less likely to be happening now. Of course that doesn't mean that all existing collectors will sell up, and films will continue to be bought and sold, but our diminishing numbers mean that conventions are in a struggle to survive, as are publications. Derann's closure sadly almost certainly means the end of 'Film for the Collector', which for about 27 years has been a good resource for collectors.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 06:35 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would Derek have done?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 06:58 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What would Derek have done?
Knowing Derek, I think he would have done what his son has done, under the circumstances. We have to remember that although Derann has been one of the main-stays of the film collecting hobby, it is at the end of the day, a business, and "reel film" is only a small part of that business.

Whatever "love" you have for the "product", if it is not gleaning a good enough return to pay the bills, then what else can you do?

This situation is indicative of so many "small busineses" (and some "not so small") in this time of ecconomic unstability.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 07:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Keith, I think we all suspected the "writing was on the wall" for super 8, but it is so sad to learn that the whole shop is going, hi-fi, TV, video projectors and all...I guess Derann has about 4-5 full time staff and it is particularly upsetting to think that they might be out of a job. Hope they will all be ok.

Is the other part of Derann that did corporate video, etc. still going strong?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is so sad finding Deraan is closing down now.

But similar to the Vinyl collecting scene where the young collectors join the club not because are looking for new vinyls but in fact they like to get those old (second hand) stuff.

So be optimistic that 8mm collecting scene is not fading away.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 08:52 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'd entirely agree with the comparison with vinyl, as quite a lot of new vinyl is currently being produced, some of it aimed at young consumers.

It would be interesting if any young (e.g. aged up to about 30) collectors here could tell us if they are entirely happy to look out for old releases - or do new ones make it a more attractive hobby. If when I'd started collecting around the start of 1980s, eveyone had been saying "you won't see anything new, but don't worry, there's plenty of old stuff around", I would have found that very offputting. Subsequently, films released in the 1980s and 90s became some of the gems in my collection.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 10:03 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Adrian and respectfully disagree with Michael -- I don't look forward to used (and already fading) prints to be the sole source of film collecting. New product equates to a healthy hobby. While I myself will purchase a used film from time to time, fading prints have taken some of the joy out it. I just hate to think of the hobby becoming more about circulating old prints instead of the infusion of new prints. However, if you told me 20-30 years ago that new prints were available right up to 2011, I would have looked at you cross-eyed. We should be grateful that new prints were available this long in the age of digital.

Thanks again, Derann!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From thier official news brief on this, it appears that it is not due to interest in the film hobby. They still have sold the used collections they brought in. It's just come down to the massive (and probably downright criminal) upping of thier overhead costs ...

I mean, thier taxes going up almost 50 percent? Thier insurance rates goin up a staggering amount? (Derann credits this, potentially, to the riots, as it says in thier news brief).

I get the feeling that, while the U.K. is raising these taxes to attempt to bolster thier survival as a nation and identity. Understandable ... however, get the feeling that there will be many an empty shop front all along those areas as the larger businesses (like our own US Wal-mart) can absorb those costs and pass them onto the consumer, the smaller business's (like Derann) have to close shop.

So, in the end, to save the U'K. they must gut the U.K. and this will be the story worldwide.

I still don't really have adequete words to state my sadness at Derann's passing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insurance companies do not need much of an excuse to hyke up premiums, as we all know.

Earthquakes, Ash Clouds, floods, drought, rioters etc......

Very soon there will be nothing left to insure!

Then you will find that it will be -

"Nothing to insure?

Why not take out our new 'Nothing To Insure' policy, whereby if you ever get to the point where you have 'nothing' to insure, we will pay you nothing.

Send your application today and receive a free gift - a paper bag containing - 'Nothing'. This free gift will ensure that your application is accepted, without any medical.

With our free gift - you WILL have 'NOTHING' to insure!

Don't hesitate - apply today - the stocks of 'nothing' are in short supply.

First come, first served!"

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed

I shall miss attending Blackpool every year and meeting Gary,Ged etc at the BFCC.

Many thanks for 27 years of excellent service Derann will be sadly missed.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 12:05 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - for some of us it will be 45 years of excellent service.

I started going to hire movies, with my father, in 1966, and have been "involved" on and off ever since. In the 1970's, I lived about 3 miles from the store and every Saturday (there was no Sunday trading then) Derann was my "second home".

I now live 120 miles away and still visit whenever I can.

The town of Dudley will have little meaning for me once they close. [Frown]

--------------------

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
45 years that's incredible!!

Is it true that there first official standard 8mm feature release was CIty of the Dead Starring Christopher Lee?

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, it's hardly the end of the hobby now, is it?

Michael, I totally understand what you are saying that it wont stop me collecting or enjoying the hobby. I am quite happy if there are no new releases anymore and will still watch and collect older releases. We still have CHC releasing new prints, Paul Foster, Perry's, Buckingham film services, Independent 8 etc. Also we still have Ebay and I will probably use it more now Derann are closing.

But I dont think you fully understand the situation as without Derann is like a black hole that will never be filled in again. Without Derann there is no Film for the collector, NFCC, monthly film lists and no BFCC!!

Film collecting will still go on but wont be the same again particularly as the 'meeting places' are getting fewer. Thank goodness for the forums that we can still talk about it here. Lets not forget there are still smaller cine fairs like Group 9.5, Rickmansworth etc. but these are nothing like the NFCC or BFCC.

I dont think anybody should 'dumb down' how losing derann will be as they were massive on the film collecting scene and this news is a devastating blow to collectors everywhere.

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I think some people are overreacting to the closure of a film dealer.

However, it's obvious that Derann mean more to some collectors than others, so grieve on, baby!

-Mike

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am grieving Micheal [Frown] . I know it may sound silly but at the moment Im treating it like a family member has died. [Frown]

I dont want to get into trouble here, But I mainly bought from Derann because their film lists were very accurate, It was easy payment as they knew my details and their new prints were second to none.

It looks like I will be placing a few last orders before they close [Wink]

Graham S

PS: I have also bought many titles from CHC, Foster films and Ebay but Derann was always my first choice for the reasons above.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... their new prints were second to none.
I have a Derann DRACULA on S8 which I bought from a fellow collector.
It is a beauty - as good as anything I've seen on 16mm.
So, I'll agree with you on that score.
[Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 02:51 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think some people are overreacting to the closure of a film dealer.
Michael - I'd have to say that's a somewhat cynical view because surely members here are sincerely expressing how they feel about Derann closing down. There's no reason why everyone should feel the same way, but that doesn't make it any less of a blow for those that are saddened by it.

To call Dereann a dealer makes them sound the equivalent of many other dealers who never released new product, which clearly isn't the case. Thanks to Derek's vision at a time when many others were shutting down or making doomed attempts to switch to video, Derann genuinely became world leaders in Super 8, from around 1984 until the early 2000s. For a small company in the West Midlands to achieve this - pulling off deals with 20th Century Fox, Disney, Rank and others - was a remarkable achievement.

Perhaps you're primarily a collector of 16mm and most of Derann's releases had limited appeal for you, but I think many of us who were regularly saving up for their releases and enjoying the cameraderie that was evident at their Open Days and at other events, feel that thanks to the revival that Derann spearheaded, that period will always be the 'golden age' of Super 8 collecting. If I had a choice of parting with all my Derann features or all the 8mm features I've obtained from every other distributor put together, I'd opt to keep the Derann ones. If a lot of collectors would say the same thing (and I suspect they would), that says a lot about Derann's legacy to the 8mm world.

[ August 20, 2011, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael - I'd have to say that's a somewhat cynical view because surely members here are sincerely expressing how they feel about Derann closing down.
Yes, I understand this and if you quoted the rest of that post, it's right there.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 03:05 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best way to view this "event" is

"Not so much a loss, great that it is, but more of a 'legacy' to the 'bootlace' cinema world".

PS Michael - So glad you are happy with the "Dracula" print. As you say, it is very good quality.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian Simmonds

If you just happen to read this, is there any chance that "Derann" could put out a special final "FFTC" edition with plenty of colour photos etc, dedicated fully to all the staff both past and present even though it might blow any budget "just an idea" [Smile] It would be a great way to remember "Derann" for both the staff and collector, just something to remember by.

Regards Graham.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of a similar idea Graham. It would certaintly be a lasting tribute to Derann. I havent received any emails about refunding FFTC so I wondered if Derann plan to continue it until the subs run out.

It would also be good if someone could video that final sale and stick it on youtube. I cant go as Im already booked for the Group 9.5 event in Harpenden.

Graham S

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC