8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Frown] [Frown] [Mad]
Its
THE DAY THE SUPER 8 HOBBY DIED

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few names their Doug, who seem to have lost touch with this forum, in particular Mike Peckham. I guess they have relinquished the hobby.
I remember my first visit to Derann in 1986 and, like you, it felt like walking into Aladdin's cave. I suspect most collectors felt exactly the same.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke to Ged this afternoon while placing an order for various shorts left and other bits and bobs.

Regarding FFTC, he basically said there was zero chance of getting a final edition out as they are so busy closing the business down.

Its ironic that now they are closing, they are more busy at the moment. They had 40 orders to pack today and more coming in as collectors are grabbing every last item before its too late!

Graham S

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 05:56 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary had told me that the striping machine came on the end of a truck. So it must be very heavy. I had contemplated buying it but shipping would probably be more than the cost of the machine. He said they had not made a decision on the negatives and sound masters. Oh well, if only I could win the lottery. Of course, I need to buy a ticket.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 22, 2011 08:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
Thanks for the link and photos of the old striping machine. Years ago I bought one of Keith Wilton tapes called Hollywood UK! included is a behind the scenes of Derann, which Derek describes the workings of the machine, of which it is stated that he himself had striped One Million and a half feet of film during the course of a year [Eek!] also shows it up and running, also included is the recording of prints etc.

Here are a couple of shots taken from the video tape
 -

-
The bottle of stripe that was used to top up the machine, rotating between two rollers, this was to keep the consistency of the oxide stripe just right.
 -

The amount of work involved in getting those prints to the collector was huge printing..striping...recording..slitting...etc.

I hope Keith or someone records the final days of Derann. I have worked for companys in the past that have made everyone redundant and my biggest mistake was not to make the effort to tape or film those places. You dont think about it at the time but later on at a get together I was asked...did anyone take photos [Roll Eyes] ...to late. [Frown]

Graham.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 23, 2011 10:00 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derek was a good friend, oh so kind - Let's look on the better side also, wonderful memories and that our hobby/business or what have you, will continue to flourish as long as we all want it to - With the CINEVENT, CINEFEST and CINESEA here chaps, we have the makings of fine shows all these years - DERANN, like BLACKHAWK and others, will always hold a bright light in our minds and hearts - We keep this light going by our very merits - I earnestly hope we can all meet at one grand conclave and truly glorify our love for this genre, Shorty

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry for this sad news and I send all my best wishes to Gary who has managed for years all our requests and complaints (if any) with great patience and really professional skill!

Really a very sad news! [Frown]

Flavio

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all makes this video, made by Lee Mannering, great to look back on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobTBWGyZP4

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 02:11 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news, I hope all the guys at Derann manage to go on to other jobs and I wish them all the best and THANKYOU for your service over the years!
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had troubles responding to the latest list (last Friday)? I'm getting rather antzy because I had an email problem, not of my causing, where the body of my reply emails kept getting deleted (error message: "The original message content contained a virus or was blocked due to blocking rules and has been removed"). I've no idea why that was heppening.

So dear Gary shoots a few messages back, and I try sending it differently, early on Monday (end of day for him) with no joy. Once I tried it from a different email address, it appears that his day was done. No further replies.

My take is that they're so inundated with requests to buy stuff that mine is buried beyond hope. Wasn't meant to be?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - I know from visiting the store on Tuesday they were very busy on Monday - busiest days trading for 5 years, I was told.

Most of the items on the last weeks list had gone by Tuesday, but they may be compling one for this weekend????

We'll have to see? Best of luck if that happens with getting your "wants".

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 01:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I thought. Well, good for them, not all bad if they've a little cash as they close out.

Keith, very grateful for this information, thank you.

It's a feeding frenzy!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill
If you want something from the latest list, thats if there is another one, I would recommend phoning them ASAP when they open up in the morning. Its my understanding they deal with people coming through the door first thing in the morning and the phone before opening any e-mails, so if like me the chance at the moment from e-mails, of getting a film before the vultures [Wink] move in is pretty slim.

Graham. [Smile]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 03:44 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke to Ged today to place another order, and he informed me there would be another list very early next month, probably the very last list. The Derann team were busy doing a stock check this morning so this information will be used for the last list.

I have also been told that depending how the sale goes on the 11th September, Derann may continue until the end of the month but that depends on the stock left and managers decision.

Imagine when clearing some old boxes they find a new scope print of Star Wars [Razz] [Razz] . One can dream.

Graham S

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2011 11:02 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember everyone that Wilton's historic 'Hollywood UK' was remastered, extended with new material and re-issued as a double disc DVD a few years ago and still available. I still run my copy regularly and I think I'll be running it again next time I'm home for a while.

Just go to the Filmtek pages of www.bfcc.biz to take a look and if you need to the contact and purchase details email me at john(dot)clancy(at)bfcc(dot)biz.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 26, 2011 03:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been asked to produce a few more copies of our DVD ‘This is Cinema’ which includes all four of the super 8 films I made about 8mm film, 9.5, 17.5, Derann, Perrys and the first Warner Cinema in the UK etc. I’ll fetch these to the Derann Day on the 11th. One film on the DVD also includes footage of Derek striping using the paste striper which is my own personal favourite clip. The DVD has all four of my super 8mm filmed documentaries included should anyone not already have it.

I still can’t quite get my head round Derann going and boy we are going to miss them, especially Gary’s humour at the shop and Blackpool along with a ready supply of films, gear and advice over the phone. If you are anything like me its been a case of having a few quiet moments looking at the Derann collection recalling when a film was purchased and where. We will all be looking forward to visiting Derann next month.

Simon. Yup it makes the footage we filmed at various open days so nice to watch again. When I get chance I will compile a new clip with some of the older footage showing Derek and post on the tube as well.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 26, 2011 05:52 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's reflect on the good times with Derann, amd all the fine people who deal through the years - Shorty

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2011 07:45 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few people have asked about a final issue of FFTC. It would be nice, but it's going to be hard for Derann to do with them closing down the business; in fact Ged has said zero chance, which is absolutely understandable. Ironically, that last edition, written before any idea of closing down was announced, contains some reflective articles on Derann; Memories From The Late Derek Simmonds, an old staff photo from the early 1980s, Derann Open Day 2011 pictures, A reflection on David Erskine & Blackpool. So, it's quite a good edition to have as a final one, even though that fact was unknown at the time. Thanks must go to Derann for keeping this excellent magazine going since September 1985. It has been very much appreciated.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 26, 2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Simon..
As our own little tribute to Derann we are having a small gathering, screening our first few films ever purchased and will be raising a glass to that wonderful 8mm distributor who have kept us entertained for so many years now. Next month we invade the shop and from what I hear they can expect a great number of people coming to buy on the day.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 26, 2011 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showed up today

-

-almost seems a shame to open it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 26, 2011 11:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I could not agree more...its certainly an end of an era.

Joe made me think when he mentioned reflecting back.
 -
The first issue I bought was back in July 1993.
Always interesting and in particular Keith Wilton Super8 review .
 -
Hope Gary does not mind...the photos are from "FFTC" Issue No45 Spring 2000.

I sent on some photos to Derek in 1996 of our home cinema. I was surprised and very pleased he took the time to write back asking if it was ok to publish them.
It was really something to get a mention in the magazine.
 -
Issue No34 Summer 1996.

I have not missed an issue since 1993, it was a must to keep up with the latest in the world of Super8 film collecting.

I wish Gary and all the staff at Derann all the best and hope they still keep in contact in the future.

Graham.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2011 04:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched some recent super 8 films from Derann including the 'Summer Nights' 200 ft reel. Excellent print typical of the top standard set by Derann.

Then watched clips from Hollywood UK 2005 and Men Behind the Movies reel 2.

For those interested it's MBTM reel 2 that contains a short history of Derann (Note: there are 4 seperate DVD's of MBTM )

John, My Hollywood UK 2005 is a single disc, I think you was referring to Armchair Odeons which is 2 discs )

Graham S

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2011 06:08 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will certainly miss buying new and used films from Derann. I will miss the expertise and top quality service of Gary and the guys. I decided about 5 years ago to buy more from them while I could; I will be even more determined now to support CHC, Reel Images and the others.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2011 04:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right Graham. I was in America when I posted all the information on those historical DVDs and my recollection of it being vastly extended to the VHS suggested a double DVD but it's probably just double the length of the VHS. In fact, I've just got out of my seat and checked, and yes, it's a single but extended DVD.

It's a shame I don't have the time but I can't see any way I can attend the last open day. 15 hours a day, 7 days a week rather takes care of that.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 29, 2011 05:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club John. How us youngsters cope I have no idea.
[Razz]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC