8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2011 11:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just learned this morning from my email provider's spam report that Gary DID reply to all my emails, but MY spam blocker deleted everything from a "co.uk" domain before I could see it. GRRRRRRRR.

See there, their customer service record is flawless even during a feeding frenzy.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 30, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote Gary and told him that if he wants to, just send me his e-mail address in case he'd like to stay in touch. That is how much of a friend I think of him!

There is the German film lab and it is quite good, ut that Derann quality really isn't something I think that we are bound to see again, especially concerning those Disney features and shorts.

Derann's print quality on negatives that were originally other companies work (for instance, Red Fox Films), were quite a bit better as well. I swear, I have never even seen 16MM prints of some of those rare Warner Brother cartoons that were near as good.

I have a print of "Gruesome Twosome" an alltime classic by Bob Clampett, and I have observed individual frames from it, and it is truly comparable to the DVD box set copies of these films. That is no joke and it's amazing to think of the level of quality to these prints. The same can be said for "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves", another rare Bob Clampett Warners short.

... and the belief they held for the super 8 market, for so long. When nearly everybody else was throwing in the towel, Derann KNEW that there were super 8 loovers all over the world that stubbornly held onto thier collection in the face of VHS, laserdisc and DVD and still plodded on and were rewarded handsomely!

Man Oh Man, I will miss Derann!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2011 05:10 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention Gary's sense of humour!

Well, the less said about that, probably the better...... [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 31, 2011 05:51 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, keep those last boxes, packages, labels and catalogs, when a book is written on film distributors, it will be much needed - Shorty

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 31, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty

Again....it's all about the boxes!

Pat

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Final" email list was received this morning.

[Frown]

I hope their final stock clearance nets good cash for them all.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 02, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the list too...

If I was buying drinks instead of buying films I'd be sick as a dog tomorrow morning!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 02, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually going to leave that list on my e-mail, just as tribute to them.

Derann, how I already miss thee!

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are all of Derann's FEATURE films? Why aren't any of them on clearance? Are they being sold to another vendor????

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2011 04:38 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - believe it or not, the "feature films" at Derann have been in short supply for about 18 months now. There have not been any films printed since the UK laboratory closed.

Therefore, the stocks that they had, upon lab closure, have all been sold over the past 18/24 months.

I went to the shop last week to pick up my copy of "The Abyss" and was told then that all they had "new" was a couple of features in stock, a Disney title and an MGM musical. I only managed to get "The Abyss" (which I have been after for a long time) because the collector who ordered it (when it was in stock along with a lot of other titles) could not afford to pay for the film before Deranns closure. He had "first option" and could not raise the funds.

There may be the odd feature title with dealers like Dave Thomas etc. who bought titles when they were "plentiful".

What there is now is ALL there is and that is it. It's then down to, either another distributor to "take up the reins", or between us, the collector, to sell / trade etc by whatever means we can.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 02, 2011 05:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's grim to see a list that explicitly states "the last list" - goodness knows how many sales lists there have been since the the mid-1960s. At least those of us going on Sept 11th won't have to pay any postage on our final orders!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2011 08:12 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, in this sad time, I'm totally confused by your question?

Do you mean; what will happen to the negatives for the feature films which Derann held? No other vendor holds any sort of copyright.

Derann did not hold stock of feature films (well, only a few titles, which were all ordered before the lab closed). This would have cost too much money. EDIT: Ref: Keith's reply.

Prints were pretty much made to order.

Of course, every 1 print ordered meant an order of 2 from the lab.

A certain TV company finished off film laboratories overnight with their budget cuts and our hobby suffered...

Of course, film laboratories are not the only people to suffer...

Such a sad day today... [Frown] And only the beginning, I feel... [Frown]

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2011 01:42 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with Ged yesterday for the first time since hearing about their untimely and forced closure due to spiraling local taxes, energy costs and the closure of the UK 16mm labs. What a very sad story and an unceremonious end to a wonderful institution, that must have been a very hard decision for Adrian to make indeed.

Many thanks and Good Luck to all of the Derann team for the future and as they say 'Thanks for the memories' they'll always bring a smile [Smile]

Rick

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 03, 2011 04:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I’ve been doing after work is watching Derann Film issues and reminiscing all the time. Amazing the impact Derann have had with our hobby and certainly pivotal to it all for so many years. I wonder what will happen to all Deranns hardware and fingers crossed it wont be another Perrys where most of the printing & lab gear wound up in a skip. [Eek!]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 03, 2011 06:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's difficult to be very optimistic about Derann's equipment surviving. The striper would be an enormous challenge to get working again, so who will consider it worthwhile, considering the space it occupies, the lack of certainty regarding whether it can work well again and the limited amount of demand for striping nowadays. As for the sound recording equipment, it's hard to imagine anyone interested except CHC. But I believe CHC bought Perry's former recording equipment but didn't use it. I suppose someone might be able to use the slitter. I hope I'm wrong, but if the situation was brighter, I expect someone would have bought the printer at Film Labs North when that closed, and we wouldn't now have only one lab in the world printing Super 8!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 03, 2011 09:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit daunting to even think about it.
Derek invested heavily in both time and money to secure a future for 8mm when the striper went in, it would be tragic to see it come to a sad end. Chatting to Uncle Ian from Perrys he recalled the grey day Arthur and he loaded the lab gear into skips and wept at the time. It must have been devastating to see machinery you have worked on with a great workmate finally meet the tip. Even today I have clear memories of the two trips I made to Ian’s shop making my super 8 film Cinema in Miniature which they would later release on 8mm. My how things are a-changing!

Better get back to the rewinders as it’s our Derann tribute weekend so plenty to get done before being invaded.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 03, 2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon folks, lets put our money where our mouth is ...

and if I had the money, my mouth would be right there to buy that striping equipment! Damn this money crunch!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 03:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's just no market for Super 8 any longer Osi. It's a terrible shame but if Derann couldn't make a go of it then how is anyone else? Unless an individual has a spare barn to house all this equipment and offer Super 8 prints on a loss making basis then there is just no future.

It's about time one of us enthusiasts won the lottery and spent some of the winnings on this wonderful hobby!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 04:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts exactly John,it is hard to have to admit that cine film always was, is and always will be the most enjoyable way to watch our movies but i it has to be said that with the likes of blu-ray, home cinema has now come within reach of everyone and it is so cheap to run once your set up. We are keeping our cine films and equipment, in fact, as we speak one by one our projectors are having a Bill Parsons work over to ensure they go on for many moreyears, maybe thats where all cine enthusiats should look right now to? There is also the likes of Perrys, Paul Foster and CHC to support, as well as a few others to keep this hobby alive for as long as possible. It is clearly only going to be a second hand market from here on with the exception of a very few rare releases.

On Derann, its clear no one wants to see them fold, had they have folded 5 years ago maybe our hobby would have died by now who knows? Steam trains are still going because of enthusiasts so no reason why our hobby shouldnt go on, I feel very sorry for the boys at Derann because you will probably find that the staff didnt know this was going to happen until just before it was announced on here, (incorredctly as well), so can you imagine how they must be feeling after so many loyal years to there employer? I Know how i would be feeling! So my last thoughts are for the three main hard working devoted men in the cine department. Whats next for them? If it were any of us how would we be feeling waking up the next day with no work after a life of work? [Frown]
Good luck to all at Derann.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 04:53 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Tom.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 05:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like the intermittent for me Tom!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 05:51 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst broadly agreeing with Tom, I don't think the new release situation is quite that bad - and it hasn't suddenly become worse - even though it's obviously a very small number in comparision to the 80s and 90s. So far this year, there has been a new Super 8 feature together with a few trailers and the odd animated short, etc, so I'd guess that (worldwide) there must have been about 15-20 releases in the last 12 months. In this day and age, I'd say that's something to celebrate rather than be sad about!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 08:49 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, when all is said and done, it's the guys at Derann I feel for most.

Honestly, I think this is all still sinking in with me. I know I'm being melodramtic, but when something has always been there, your whole life, and part of it, it is just so sad...

I know some will tell me to get a grip, but it is a bit like a bereavement, because in months to come I will find myself thinking, "oh, I need so and so, I'll give Derann a call..."

Then remember.

Sorry if this sounds a bit much, but I'm truly finding it quite upsetting!

Anyway, once again, to all at Derann...best wishes guys...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True about new releases, i'd completly forgot to mention Steve at the reel image to, that little magazine is very good, and of course a few new releases do get imported still.
Something i was amazed about is this, when i spoke to Ged at Derann a week ago i coildnt believe what he was telling me, that some people were actually ringing the super 8 department moaning about the closure asking "where am i meant to go to get cine stuff now", suffice to say he explained that they have to bite there tongues, i know what i would have said, but thats me i guess, arnt some people clueless and selfish [Eek!] !!!

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 09:55 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing, Tom -- I could add other stories to yours regarding the selfishness of some collectors -- particularly those who brag about "owning" a vast collection of films, of which few are actually paid for in full.

It terms of moaning to Derann, unfortunately some collectors are so consumed by the hobby that they lose all sense of reason (and reality).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC