8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The irony of all this is - when you look at the "interest" that the "closure" has had on this, and other forums, if all these "posts" had been transmutted into orders, over the past few months, the "Film Business" may still have been viable!

What really struck home to me, is when I went to the shop, the Tuesday after "the announcement", Ged told me that the Monday had been their busiest "trading day" for years!

It's definately a case of "Not appreciating what you have got until it's gone".

The other "tragedy", in my opinion is, with the "Closing Down Sale" taking place this coming Sunday, how many "carrion crows" will be in attendance to "pick at the carcase"?

How many films will we see on EBay over the next few months that were purchased "for a song" and will be sold profit?

Yes, the "true collectors" who can attend(the ones who have made the effort to attend the Open Days and the Conventions in the past)will be there.

There will, of course, be "true collectors" who would love to be there, but cannot!

But, most of all there will be the "vultures" who are there for the "pickings" and never been to either the shop or a convention at all! That is the biggest shame of it all!

The only consolation to all of this is the "film releases" we have in our collections NOW. How bare our shelves would be if Derann had not "carried the flag" when all others gave up?

I don't have to wish the lads well for the future at the end of this post, I have already done that and will do it again in person on Sunday.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Keith, that's why I'm going on Sunday...to shake hands with the guys.

True, I may buy a last film for posterity, but it will be bitter sweet...

Let's hope we all attend with a similar mind set.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can but hope Rob?

It would be nice to think that "haggling" will not take place. We all like a bargain but, under the circumstances, and knowing that the stock will be more than fairly priced, for the occasion, let's hope they get the asking price!

There I go again "dreaming out loud".

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall be there on Sunday, I have been going to most of the Blackpool conventions since 1986 and that's where I got to know all the Derann staff, I'm gutted for them and the hobby as a whole, it can't possibly be the same without them. November will feel very hollow this year.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's shocking that some people have complained about the closure - I suggest the staff tell them that anyone eager to see a cine-orientated business on the premises will soon have an opportunity to start one themselves!

I sincerely hope that the crowd next Sunday is not characterised by the 'vultures' that Keith fears. The guys travelling with me in my group are primarily motivated by the chance to enter the premises one last time, and express appreciation to the staff. No doubt there could be irresistable bargains too, but it would be dreadful to buy items specifically to sell them. I hope the prices are not so low that any dealers present are tempted to bulk buy at the start of the day, reducing the opportunities for others. I'm optimistic that there won't be 'haggling', as if someone isn't willing to pay the asking price, I expect someone else will.

I identify with Rob's comment about it not having fully sunk in. I don't suppose I'm the only one here to realise that Derann have had a greater influence on my leisure activities than any other company, as there's no way that I would have become such a keen collector (and film show organiser) in the 1980s if not for the exciting succession of new releases that 'hooked me in' to the Super 8 world in such a big way. And who else but Derann could have caused me to spend far more overnight stays in Blackpool over the last 27 years, than in any other town in the UK!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we can all try and be a bit upbeat next week and I know quite a number are making the trip from our neck of the woods so it will be good to see the guys and also buy on the day which is what Derann intended after all. Empty your money boxes folks and lets do our bit to give them a good send off.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 01:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kieth raised good points, i very much would like to go but will be unable to however, i did make a small purchase over the phone as one last Derann order and did tell the blokes via email that i couldnt come but if i did i would very much be way to verbal at vultures who may be there,
I no for a fact that the good people of this and Kevin and Dans forums who will attend will be there for good reasons.
Everyone must remember though that once Derann are closed the staff have no jobs, i never wish that on anyone.
For those who do attend let us know what the day was like.From what i gather an awful lot of the films have alrerady gone as has much equipment and accessories.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this scenario?

We turn up on Sunday and everything is already sold, except for the coffee? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Smile]

It certainly wouldn't bother me too much. [Wink]

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm keen to go and step foot inside Derann one more time. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the Open Days over the last years and would go, as many of you have said on here, just to wish the lads well.

I wonder whether Duncan Macleod may show up? You may recall he left the Derann team in 2005.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully they will have the few items I need left fingers crossed and perhaps some new movies to play with. A couple of movie guys are also travelling down from Scotland to show support so hope they also find something of interest with the distance in mind.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 02:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Derann Gravy...ahem, sorry... Memorabilia train has started rolling early. I don't know who the seller is. No one here I would hope.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270811926802?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid =p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

[ September 04, 2011, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading through everyones comments about the last day, I wish I could come, even its just to say "thanks" face to face. Simon I only spoke to Duncan once and that was long ago [Eek!] I phoned Gary about films late one night and he put me onto Duncan. It might have been to translate what I was asking for...being slightly Scottish myself [Roll Eyes] [Smile] even though I have e-mailed Gary if someone could say thanks for me, to Gary from that Scottish chap in the shaking city 12000 miles away that would be great.

Regards Graham.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From what I gather an awful lot of the films have alrerady gone as has much equipment and accessories.
I think youre right, my guess is there will be more AV equipment than film. Already bought a load of stuff myself so I know a lot of it is gone already.

Graham S

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 09:52 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, Steve, Osi, was that Derann list you received the other day the 16mm list, which I received or a Super 8 list? I did not receive a Super 8 list!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2011 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a Super-8 list on Friday roughly 5:00 PM Dudley time. I was at work, and on lunch.

I don't think I ever dove into a Derann used list more purposefully than this one. I wasn't just out for films I'd really like, but some I thought I might like. There's something about last opportunities that motivate action.

It is after 11:00 PM here, when I wake up tomorrow morning I'll get to find out what films I got from the 8 I requested.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 12:57 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I have done the same thing [Smile] around five films I think, cant remember, our computer has been playing up so only e-mailed yesterday. Gary is going to be busy, however I think overseas customers like ourselves should be given first choice dont you think [Big Grin] and not those folk living in the UK [Wink] anyway, joking aside I will miss those lists [Frown]

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 01:13 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they've posted it on their website, so I had a good look. Many of the new shorts and cartoons they are selling I have bought from them over the last few years.

No doubt any features left over will be at the open (closing) day sale later this week.

Who will buy their last GS 1200 I wonder?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 03:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I do get over excited about film.. [Eek!]

[ September 06, 2011, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 03:44 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,
I'm not sure what you mean, chum. A bereaved family? This item is a Derann box - my opinion is this is plainly an attempt to cash in on the Derann closure. Unless, of course, it's a coincidence. However, let's be honest - how many times have we seen a box for sale as a single item?

To be honest, I couldn't care less one way or the other - I was simply responding to what someone above mentioned regarding those who might wish to cash in on the closure.

Have a great day,

Mike

ps:
quote:
Perhaps give your thoughts a little more time to cure ...
I don't even know what this means!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 04:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.
I think above they were referring to people trying to clear up or heavy barter on the last days trading down at Dudley. The proof of the pudding will be who actually puts the time in making the trip to Derann to buy which is what they will be hoping for. Fingers crossed the day goes well for them as closing down a long standing family business and moving the last stock will I am sure be daunting for them all.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 04:09 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Lee knows something we don't know.... so I looked through ALL the seller's other listings and the ONLY reference I could find that MIGHT apply was.... "Part of a large collection of Derann Disney Features we have been asked to help selling and will be listing here in the coming months".
If it is something we don't know, there doesn't appear to be any way we COULD know. LEE?
My two-pennyworth.... a STARTING bid on an 824D... £200?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 04:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin.
Yes perhaps and I also thought the Oimig price was rather low what with it being complete and all. [Razz]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2011 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my reply from Derann.

Out of 8 films I got none!

I guess the 15 minutes I spent looking through the list was more than enough!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 06:43 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Re Michael O'Regan gravy train comment above.
If you call someone who is willing to help a bereaved family dispose of a collectors items its certainly some gravy train chum. Perhaps give your thoughts a little more time to cure before posting as I would hate the bereaved family to read your post on this open forum when they already upset enough!

Well, I've just had a chance to recheck the listing and I can see nothing there about selling for a bereaved family, Lee.
I'm not sure I understand why you had a pop at me over this?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 08:07 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it worth, I had a look at the eBay seller's listings and I don't think there's a connection with Derann's closure - which isn't mentioned and they may be unaware of - and they are selling non-Derann films too. Considering that they are asking £15 for 200' releases, the empty 1970s-era Derann box for £2 (with free postage) isn't too exorbitant when you consider the cost of postage, eBay and Paypal fees. It looks in excellent condition and if it attracts no other bids, I might buy it myself to re-house an old Derann release that's currently in a tatty box!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC