8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DERANN CLOSING DOWN (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DERANN CLOSING DOWN
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 10:04 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's now a little over two months since Derann closed, and I must ask: Did anyone get a refund on their subscription on FFTC?
I emailed Gary the same week as they closed, and he promised to refund through Visa, I renewed in february an only got one issue after that. But till today I have not received any refund. I do feel a little disapointed that after 25 years of excellent service whenever something went wrong, it should end like this. It somewhat degrades all the good memories of all those years.
Don't get me wrong, it's not so much the money as the feeling that I have been let down by a "friend" that I really trusted implicitly.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point
I cant remember how many issues I was still paid up for, but no refund. I would have thought they would have had a list of folk that subscribe to it, where they were at "issue wise" and refund accordingly.

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 11:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think toward the end, even with the best intentions from the lads at Derann, things like this may have been beyond their control.

I hear what you both are saying, but with Derann's closure we've lost a lot more than just our subscriptions. [Frown]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, i have to say that i do see your point but,
Ive worked very loyally for the same company for 24 years now and if i had a few weeks notice of redundancy the last thing on my mind would be trying to help out customers,id be be focused on what to do next for my own income, No company on earth is going to be bothered about its staff no matter what,
Let me give you two examples i know of, here in Plymouth a car dealer closed over night, the boss, well known to me, gathered his staff together when they turned up for another day of work, turned on the acting tears and bulls*** and told his staff of 15 years he couldnt pay them due to liquidation and how sorry he was,the insult of this was that in the Night him and his son had come into the property stores and took all the desirable parts and car hifi. just two months later he opedned up a new buisness and took on all new staff and didnt even contact the old ones who made him his money & he didnt lose his four properties he rented out as well as his own house, and just this week a bodyshop in Plymouth closed owing the company i work for 3000 pounds and had the gall to ring us one week later asking if we would supply him parts as he had reopened again this time in his wifes name. Thats buisness i guess but as for the Derann staff, i think they did superb to be loyal to the end, i personaly couldnt be that forgiving, the Bosses will all be fine. Remember the Rover bosses? After closure in the UK all the Directors kept onto there fortunes. Anyway, i'll be very surprised if any refunds are issued on any subscriptions as the company no longer exists. Very sad to have to say. Although this may read bitter it is a very real truth, Derek Simmons was Derann films and he had the ability to deal with the film companies and do some fantastic deals when VHS and DVD were looking like kicking 8mm off the face of the earth, on the Audio side of things shops of today cannont compete with the prices the same goods cost on the internet so even if the cine buisness was thriving it was only a small piece of the main buisness.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Rob has so rightly said - more than subscriptions have been lost with the Derann closure. The most important loss of all is the employment of the staff.

I saw Gary at Blackpool and he still is not in employment. Nor is Ged, who has told me that "at 61 years of age,he has a chance of only 4000 to 1 of even being offered an interview for employment".

During those last four weeks the staff worked tirelesly fulfilling orders from their "closing down" list to customers all over the world.

I actually went to the shop, twice, before closure,and each time it was a case of "chat whilst we work - the orders need to go out".

I don't know if I could have been that commited, under the circumstances. Don't forget it was not the Super 8 business that bought about the "closure" but the rising costs of utilities and rates, alongside a very competetive market on the audio visual side, that bought about the end.

I am sure that, given more time, the subscriptions for the FFTC would have been dealt with. I do not think it was a case of "couldn't care less".

By the way, I too had "FFTC issues" owing to me from my subscription, but I have forgone that because of all the good service that Derann has provided over the years.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 20, 2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some fair points here. I'd be inclined to agree that it was probably the intention to look into this, but pressure of work in the limited time available meant that they never got round to it. It's worth mentioning that the refunds from Blackpool bookings were given a high priority and paid around the time of the initial announcement.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 03:44 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to say that I never received a refund and was a bit peeved off by that, but I never complained to Ged and Gary about that when on the phone several times but I had hoped that they would mention this and it would be automatic.

I re-subscribed sometime in early summer and only received 1 issue, so it means that I have paid £14 for the last issue, but Im not complaining now. It seems that it was out of their control.

On a different note, It's slightly surprising that Ged and Gary ( and steve? ) havent got together and started the film business part time. Im sure Ged knows all the contacts for getting some stuff and placing adverts for second hand films etc. In todays climate Ged will find it very hard to get employment. Just a thought.

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 20, 2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they could probably continue with film sales through ebay as many other dealers do.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2011 08:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They certainly have the experience and the reputation.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC