8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinema To Close (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cinema To Close
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2011 10:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks after having a cinema of sorts in this area of town for over 50 years, in three weeks time there aint one. Got a free coffee last week from the mall owners over a wee chat. We knew it was coming, but this time they set the date of closing the place on 18th November with the demolition starting on the 21st.

I have to admit it was still a bitter pill to swallow upon hearing this considering we are making good money and profitable, however the building is in the way for the re-development that they have planned.

Anyway I did some research, that since 1998, thats how far back the present records go the three 35mm projectors have completed 71.175 sreenings of the total of 757 films since 1998. In 13 years of constant 12-14 hours of daily use we have had only 3 breakdowns in that time. The longest taking half a day to fix. For me its been an amazing journey as a projectionist roughly threading those projectors 22.890 times and never been out of frame or scratched a film once.

People who say 35mm should get replaced because it gets scratched etc and all the other excuses I have heard over the years to change to digital are talking rot.

The last school holidays we were flat out with many sessions of Smurfs...Johnny English etc sold out. When I put a sign up last weekend stating the closing date and thanking folk for the support over the years....well that stirred up a lot of...they cant shut this place...we always bring our kids here...but there has always been a cinema here....we like coming here...start a petition...and so on. Folk are not happy at it going so I dont think the owners are in for a easy ride [Smile]

For myself and the other staff its the matter of finding another job. I will certainly miss this place, the people I have got to know over the years, the kids I have worked with.. keeping me on my toes.. we are running for staff only "Titanic" on the old Bauer "my baby" on the last night, they want to see that one on the big screen.
 -
These charming young ladies helped to cut up strips of film 24 frames to give away to the kids during the last school holidays
 -
one of the screens
 -
downstairs
 -
This one was taken a while ago...local kids visited the projection room.
 -
......My Baby...the "Bauer" soon to be scrapped.
 -
downstairs again...soon to close for good.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2011 11:40 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying, "That sucks!" doesn't do justice to the situation. I agree 100 percent that the put-forth reasons for doing away with 35mm projection (scratches, broken film etc) is total garbage. 35mm projection had reached perfection some years ago, at least 20 years in my area. Now we are expected to accept a much poorer experience for the same money... no thanks. I like how you are showing "Titanic" as the farewell showing to your staff. [Smile]

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 31, 2011 12:17 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant

Sad news indeed. We had our local cinema torn down 2 years ago. I had seen my first James Bond film in 1962 for 20 cents! Then put an addition on to the school next door after it was demolished. Everytime I go by there now I still can't believe it's gone. matter of fact, several years ago when it was up for sale I almost bought the theater myself. best of luck to you!

PatD

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 12:56 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not pleasant getting laid off even when you know it is coming. I certainly know that feeling. Sorry to see another 'film' cinema go down.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 01:32 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, reading of your various adventures there, complete with great photos, is one of my highlights at this forum. I will miss hearing of your goings on at the theater! If WE feel sad, I can just imagine YOU, so sorry. However, we can all look forward to your next adventure, whatever that proves to be.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 31, 2011 04:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham. Just wanted to say very sorry to read the news and not a good time. On the up side the pictures you posted tell a wonderful story of young people discovering film and how it all works with those little individual frames making those bigger moving pictures. It is a tragedy the real ‘moving picture houses’ are leaving us as has happened many times in the last 12 months over here as well and the cinema experience is fast becoming something entirely different I find from what we are used to. Every good wish to you for your own future.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame. You have all my sympathy from one who started the year redundant from a film laboratory, and all down to redevelopement and the march of digital. I can see how you can form an attatchment not only to fellow workers but to that faithfull equipment you have nursed over the years. My job also included a lot of nursing of film printing machinery which I now imagine is on the scrapheap, being considered obselete.
All the best on your next venture, Graham.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Your post is a painful one, but it also has a lot of beauty to it.
Your track record as a projectionist is what the job is all about: consistently flawless screenings, run on great gear.
As usual, people don't realize what they are losing until it is gone.

You've done "the business" proud and no one can take that away from you, sad as it is to close.

I wish you all the best in whatever the future brings for you.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Graham,Sorry to read that they are going to close your cinema,and that your are going to be out of a job, do they intend to build cinemas in the new complex.Wishing you all the best .Alex.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2011 02:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that you will be taking home many a momento of that lovely looking theater, (35MM trailers and stuff of choice).

One of my fanatsies has always been to be in a small town, out in the middle of nowhere, and finding an abandoned shut down movie theater and just rummaging through the place to see what I find, from ancient candy boxes and wrappers to whatever.

Quite sad to hear of your beloved theater closing.

It makes me look forward to the day when, if I live long enough, the damned "digital theaters" closing for whatever is already in the pipeline for the future!

Now I'm pissed, and I was having such a good day!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2011 12:46 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
H used to work at this cinema several years ago along side Graham and company and it was great fun! and a neat place to work!, I am sad to see it shut down! [Frown]
I will pop in on "Titanic" night for one last time!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2011 02:20 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
The cinema closing is very sad. The idea of giving the film cells to the kids was great; they will remember it for ever! We thank you for the pictures.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 01, 2011 03:34 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone

We had a visit of the film reviewer for the main city newspaper today and after a chat he wants to take it further and is passing it on the the news reporters plus asked for the ok for photos to be taken as well, so it sounds like the old place wont just disappear without some kind of mention which is nice. Its a pity that there are no plans to build another one in this part of the city, so cinema wise things are a bit thin on the ground.

The owners have offered me the Bauer projector, so will think about whats involved and if so where I can put it [Roll Eyes]

I have been in many jobs over the years but this one was the best. I think there is a bit of a showman in all of us making up and screening films is a thrill and that goes for Super8 as well its that "wow" factor that only film projection can give
and its been great sharing it with others over the years.

Graham.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 01, 2011 04:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, sad story indeed. Hope you can keep "your" Bauer.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 01, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Graham, I think you have to be a showman to be into collecting film and projectors in the first place.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2011 03:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at all the bits we have in stock for the Bauer, new mirrors etc I think I can fix it so it will last another 40 years. [Big Grin] so will give the removal of a go after we shut.

I called the local high school yesterday to let them know if any classes want to see the 35mm projectors going before film is history. I was surprised at the strong reaction regarding about the cinema closing with nothing in this area to replace it, people are taking it personal they dont want more shops plenty of those but a cinema yes...but its not going to happen.

One of the teens downstairs came up with this which I think is really neat [Smile]
 -

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2011 05:13 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is such a nice touch!

End it with the flag flying, and whatever happens, don't let the Bauer and the spare parts get thrown out [Smile]

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2011 12:53 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
That is a nice invite image!
Would it be ok if Gavin comes along for the show as he was one of the 1st projectionist's there when it opened.
Pat

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2011 03:54 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear, Graham, I still remember very well when we where facing this very situation just a few years ago, but we were "lucky" and were included in the digital revolution.

But demolishing it!? PREPOSTEROUS!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 07, 2011 07:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to see this dreadful news - it has always been great to see Graham's posts, reminding us of a friendly, inviting-sounding cinema that continued to use 35mm and continued to maintain the highest standards possible.

Speaking as someone who has been highly involved in a campaign to save a cinema closed in South London earlier this year, however bleak the situation may seem, I really hope that outraged local people will get organised quickly and kick up as much of a fuss about this as they can. Not just by expressing their disapproval to the owners and the local Press, but to the local council - or whatever body has to sanction the demolition and change of usage. I suspect that the indecent haste with which closure and demolition is planned is a ploy to try and get it over with before opposition can build up. If the cinema is clearly profitable, surely the local body in charge of planning, etc, should acknowledge that replacing a popular amenity with additional shops is damaging to the town, so I hope those passionate about saving the cinema will tell any key local politicians that their support is expected. If hundreds of people quickly make it clear that they don't want to lose their cinema; they will 'name and shame' the owners; and they will promote a boycott of whatever development would replace the cinema, it will give the owners something to think about. If the owners gain a sense that closing the cinema could be more trouble than it's worth, surely they could come up with some sort of compromise that retains it cinema within whatever plans they have?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again [Smile]
The Saurday newspaper ran an article on it by two reporters which was very good. The heading by one "Cinema closure so Shortsighted" was written by the film editor.

Its a lengthy article so have picked out just a couple of parts. I am pleased it got into the main city paper. The fate of the cinema might be sealed but its nice that the place has got a mention before it goes.

Extracts from the newspaper.

Its survived multiple earthquakes, massive rivals and the rise of 3D, but Hornby's 20-year old Movieland has finally met its match in the form of "progress"

A community hub "long before the mall's marketers acquired the moniker" it beggers belief that the mall owners haven't found room for this beloved three-screen cinema in their expansion plans.

One of the joys of Movieland was that it was a truly independent cinema, catering to the over-50s and young families. It was the first Christchurch cinema to introduce weekly sessions specifically for mothers and their young charges rather than the typical teenage crowd.

Older cinemagoers enjoyed the quiet, relaxed atmosphere during term time, while the place would be packed out with children and their parents come the school holidays. This would surely have occurred again in December and January when the likes of Puss in Booots, Happy Feet2 and Alvin and the Chipmunks3 hit town.

The city will be much the poorer for the quirky and welcoming cinema's demise. Mall retailers may find they've driven some of their most loyal customers towards Riccarton.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2011 07:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope the closing of the cinema will not result in the end of your posting on this forum. I have enjoyed your posts immensely, for many years, and I hope you will continue with them.
After all, if you get that Bauer into your house you will have a lot to share with us! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 08, 2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shame of it all is that wherever you are you see the ending of places like this: common ground for people to meet and enjoy themselves, maybe make some memories for years later, and what goes in it's place but more chain retail stores.

Our own local drive-In theater is sitting under a Target now. Lowes is scheduled to knock down the multiplex that replaced the drive-in next year.

Don't get me wrong: I like to be able to buy a book or a shirt or a set of socket wrenches as much as anybody, but wihout common space doesn't that move us more towards "All work and no play"? Is that healthy?

Graham is a film guy through and through: we will see him for a long time I am sure!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 08, 2011 11:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul and Steve

Thanks very much for your comments. Steve you mention all work and no play, well thats pretty much the thinking I am dealing with and in the owners eyes its all about $$$$$. I had a meeting with the mall manager yesterday, seemingly he had a number of calls and e-mails of complaints about the closing. I said "good" you lot deserve it [Smile] He booked the cinema the other week to announce the grand plan. I sat at the back watching this audio/visual intro music of 2001 A Space Odyssey [Roll Eyes] etc etc. The presetation was very good, although a wee voice in my head kept saying not so nice things about the owners.

As the meeting came to the end someone said the word "cinema" oh! the reply from one of the directors "there is not going to be one". Well you could here a pin drop in that theatre...yes I thought its sinking in.

Yesterday I got a call from the press about a photo of me with the projectors they want to do a follow up article on the film/digital thing they are doing. I said fine so yours truly might be in the paper. [Eek!] The camera he used was a "Canon" a "big fancy digital job" the photographer seemed to be having trouble with it. I said what you need is this, so I pulled out my old "Canon" FTB loaded with slide film.
[Wink]
Anyway we had a good chat about 35mm and later in the day the mall manager indicated he wanted to come to our final screeing, we might have a difference of opinion but we do get on OK.

The Bauer "my baby" is coming with me and have found a place in the garage for it. I am sure I can get it up and running with 6000ft reels as all that stuff in still around. Might get the "Movieland" sign and fix it above the garage door....the phoenix has risen. [Smile]

The main thing is to get another job my "wife" tells me, otherwise this might be me by....Christmas.
 -
[Frown]
I put our last film together and the 35mm Scope print looks really good.
 -
I must add that I have no complaints at all, its been an amazing 13 years and have been very lucky to have had the chance to work as a projectionist. Film is still very much alive at home and will continue projecting it for many many years to come.

Graham.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that film looks good Graham! [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC