8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinema To Close (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cinema To Close
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 05:26 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One bit of good news, our local paper in Bromley has announced a new cinema planned for the high street. Don't know the technology to be used but could make a rough guess.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2011 06:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the mall owners didn't appreciate the irony of using the very facility they will demolish to announce the new development. Perhaps it will sink in when they want to publicise their next plans.

Allan: I actually think that's bad news about Bromley. A new cinema will almost certainly kill off the Empire, which I like to support as 3 out of 4 screens are still 35mm and the admission prices are good value.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 07:35 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're wrong, the Empire, formally known as the Odeon lived quite comfortably opposite the Astor for many years, until the management of the Astor decided to convert to bingo.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 19, 2011 12:36 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks its all over [Frown] we ran our last sessions last night and it was really busy. The last few weeks have been exhausting, so many people have come up to let us know how they feel. We ran "Titanic" on the Wednesday night for the staff with a new Xenon lamp on the old Bauer, well she might be going down with the ship but but was dressed for the occasion [Big Grin]

I must admit its been many years "1997" since I last watched this movie and watching it again on the big screen "side masking moves out for Scope" was very impressive, I also cranked up the Dolby Digital, "great sub" [Wink] anyway what a night. The teens that we employ had only ever watched it on video, it was a one of chance for them and they all enjoyed it.

On the "Titanic" night a young kid turned up at the counter with his dad and a box of biscuit he and his mum had made for the staff which was a really nice thing to do.

I invited the mall manager, even told him that he has to start the projector...funny he was a bit nervous about doing that, but he did and got his photo taken doing it [Big Grin]

I did feel it was a way of getting the point across just what they are loosing rather than my ramlings. The movie "Titanic" did that itself.

Today it was a matter of getting my baby out of the place "the Bauer" plus a few other bits and bobs the owners have given me, this will take a few days to get things done. In the years working in this place which is situated in a industrial part of the city and mostly young families we have had no problems with the people that live in the area and that in itself has really impressed me. Our young projectionist that started here when he was just 15 and now got an electrical apprentiship, turned up with his family last night to say thanks and presented me with a bottle of "Whisky" which was really nice of him "a great kid with a bright future"

As to my future, well I better find another job, but will also get the old Bauer up and running in my "Movieland" plus got all the bits to fit a Dolby Digital reader etc to my 1920s Ernemann 35mm....its on the cards.
 -
me next to the "Kinoton" a really nice projector and its for "sale" like the rest of the stuff. The sad part is that there is little or no valve for 35mm film gear these days due to Digital projection, a lot of this stuff will get thrown out which is a pity.

Lastly yours truly hit the main newspaper, much to my surpise last week called "Curtain call for Celluloid" a well written article and photos by the press reporter. It surprised me the folk that I have bumped into that have read it. I did say to the staff I could do a signed autograph for $10 dollars...no takers, by the end of the day it was down to 50 cents...still no takers....such is the price of fame [Big Grin]

Graham.

[ November 19, 2011, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice photo Graham, a real shame that the old place has finally shut up shop for good! Heck it survived earthquakes and all of that only to be lost due to some people just caring about the old $ which is a shame.
At least you will have a good memento from the place, be it a very heavy one!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2011 06:48 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great picture Graham; poignant, sad, proud.

I feel for you; running a cinema is a very tough business; many dream about it, few get to do it.

How did we get to run our dream (drive-in)? My brother and I sold our houses, sold our former business and resigned from very good roles at major companies. It has been tough at times, but worth it. I have come to realise that nobody will ever come and give you your dream, you have to go out and get it.

I am sure you'll look back on these years Graham as a wonderful achievement; entertaining people and employing them.

Best of luck.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2011 02:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat and David

It was a dream job and consider myself very lucky to have had the chance to do it. When I looked through our records of all the films we have screened since I started. Its amazing what thoughts comes back to me. The nice thing about this cinema was, that it was small enough to be personal with the staff and customers and that was something I really enjoyed. I would say that for the rest of the staff as well, many being young and the first job was an experence they wont forget.

Although the owners can see the $$$$ from more retail space they forget what the movies are all about and how important they are to the folk that live here and those feelings expressed to me lately from customers I guess is a testament to everyone and the cinema itself and for that I am very gratefull.

I am going to have a break for a few weeks. I will miss making up films for the school holidays, the place alive with a buzz, the staff and the enjoyement of projecting film.

However here are a couple of photos of staff taken by the mall manager on the "Titanic" evening.
 -
 -
Where did you go Pat?..cant see you in the photo.
 -
I took this one a few weeks ago just before we we put the flood lights on for filming, although we made a DVD a few years back it was nice to shoot a few rolls of Super8 film as well.

Graham.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, Im not in the photo because I arrived late! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 21, 2011 12:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should mention that I caught "Pat" Mr Titanic himself following asleep near the end of the movie...tut..tut. [Wink]

Got my last pay yesterday [Frown] although I was offered a job in the mall as "Santa" I dont think a Scottish Santa would go down well with the wee ones. I told my wife this, she said..but you dont even like kids except your own. I would probably tell the we ones that the "Ho Ho Ho" has gone with Santas last job and Christmas has just been cancelled, so all you are going to get this year is a lump of coal. [Smile]

Anyway, thankfully with the help with the eletrician that I have known for years and is employed to make the cinema "safe" he de-wired my baby, changed the wiring "single phase in" made up a temp lead with just a mains plug to try out, we bought the old girl back to life and it worked. The motor ran fine, red reader and the Xenon 1600watts at 62amps with a total current draw measured from the temp lead of 16amps "not bad" so providing the garage can take 20amps and proper wiring it will work. However I will look at other options "lamp wise"
 -
 -
The Bauer has got the original reel arms "to be fitted" and can take 6000ft reels, got some of those as well..so I feel very positive about getting the projector up and running, it may sound nuts in this digital age but why not!

Graham.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2011 02:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham....no it's not nuts, it's sweet!

I am sorry to hear about the closing of the cinema but glad to see the fun you had on the last showing. That is really nice that you got the projector and that you will be able to use it. You will have many more screenings....maybe you can invite some of the old gang over to your garage for some!

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 22, 2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill
Yesterday was spent getting the projector ready for removal and tonight its on its way. The owners have spent little time boarding the place up "out of sight out of mind" and only found out they are going to leave it that way until the middle of January. Even though it was making money and a good line up of Christmas movies. I am really annoyed with these people, in the way they have treated everyone. Last week I had a visit from one of the original shareholders, who and others had got out of it due to problems with this mall. All this was before my time, anyway I will get the projector out of there ASAP.

Here are a few photos.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
People that worked here took pride in the place and to see it this way is depressing.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 22, 2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham

I understand your feelings. Get all you can out of there brfore you don't have access anymore. Better in your home than elsewhere. I think os really great thaqt your going to havr that projector in your home. Sort of a rememberance of things past. Sometimes progress stands in the way of history. I wis you the best in your future endeavors.

Best

Pat DAlessio

PS Are you going to mount the projector on shock absorbers?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat

Its in the garage now, what a job getting it here, very heavy [Eek!] will post the progress of its revival down the track as a separate topic.

Regards Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 23, 2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOvely screenshot of that print!

This "disposable" culture of ours ... to be demolishing that beautiful cinema ... just pitiful! My sympathies.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2011 04:45 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, very nice pictures, all the ones you have posted...
Really sad to read all the post so far... [Frown]

Flavio

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 25, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "very" small moment of fame [Cool] in the main newspaper last week, cant remember saying all that to the reporter [Roll Eyes] but its nice all the same.
 -
[Smile]

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2011 03:01 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share the feelings being expressed here and it's terrible there will be no cinema in your area. When in the 1970's the last of my area's classic cinema's closed to make way for a shopping mall, there was such an outcry the developers had to include a cinema. But that was when the only projection medium was film. I do believe these electronic cinemas, whatever they're called' will change the cinematic experianse to the detriment of the studios.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The saddest photo's to me were of the empty lobby, projectionist booth. It's all so lifeless and hollow now, where, a few days before, it was bustling with business.

... and the ba***rds who make the decisions as to what or who survive or not, kick back comfortably, counting thier money.

It shouldn't surprise me, or make me moody after all this time, but it does.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 02:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked if I could visit the place to help out removing a platter. Its the first time in quite a whileso took the opportunity to take a couple of photos.
 -
this one is a 35mm slide I took on the last week in November.
 -
taken last week. The Simplex has gone as with the most of the sound system. The amps went cheap to folk in a local band, what a mess. [Frown]
 -
Taken on the last night in November. I think this is a good photo the mall manager took of the Kinoton in its glory.
 -
Three months on and its still for sale as with the sound system, screen, seats, the lot. The sad part about all this is there is so little value or interest in 35mm gear these days due to the change over to digital, what a waste [Frown]

Graham.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 03:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, could you send all your photos to Mr. Wilton so he can include your story in a forthcoming issue of 'Super 8 Film Review'. I'm sure he'll want to run the story as the new magazine 'Film Collector' is all about film and none of that DVD tosh that has ruined other fanzines on the film collecting hobby.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sad Graham. What a feeling you must have had in your gut when you returned. It's like going to a friends wake. Keep posting the pics.

Pat [Frown]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 06:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat
It did feel a bit strange going back in there, its not the place to hang around thats for sure.

John
I will send Keith a heap of stuff very soon and he can decide what he wants to use.

Regards Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2013 11:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we paid a visit to the cinema or whats left of it expecting it to be totally gone....surprise surprise the building is still there.

I also bumped into the mall manager who told me they are still recieving quite a few calls "amazing after all this time" asking when is it going to open.

Its closing has not gone down well with the locals.... well the local kids can bounce on the bedroom mattress's for entertainment when the new store eventually opens [Big Grin]

The poor old place is dying a slow death [Frown] shame.
 -
Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its finally gone [Frown] ...it took a while, but thankfully I shot plenty of video and even some Super8 film, plus slides of the place over the years. I still marvel at how reliable the 35mm projection equipment was. It just kept going and going...amazing really. Lately I caught up with some of the past staff who all miss the place, especially the buzz during the school holidays.

The cinema did its job of entertaining the locals over the years and to date nothing cinema wise will be replacing it in that area....anyway I am glad I have another job and money is coming in. I still miss the people and the movies but thats life.
 -
...that used to be the projection room up there [Frown]
 -
....two weeks on from the last photo....gone.

Graham.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 12:03 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As hard as it is to look at this stuff, yet I'm glad you've posted it so we can, I can imagine what it feels like for you.

It really stinks when the end of an era comes about this way.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC