8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is everything being lost?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is everything being lost?
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2011 09:43 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been away from the circle for a few months, due to work comitments, plus the arrival of a new beautiful granddaughter to our son Ross and his wife Caroline.

So, I'm sorry to have returned to what would seem doom and gloom in our hobby - with the demise of Derann, and now the Kodak news! Is everything going, I wonder?

Once all the dust settles, it would be encouraging to try to re-group, so to speak, and see where our supplies can be obtained on a reliable basis - I'm particularly referring to filmstock for shooting.

Anyway, now that I'm back in the fold, I shall once again be following all posts.

Kindest regards to all,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 01, 2011 01:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, David. I wondered what had happened to you. How's the home theatre going?

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 06:39 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. The home cinema is progressing - albeit rather slowly, due to the afore mentioned reasons. Plus, I am trying to accelerate my semi-retirement; we have now moved out of our business premises, and, during the winding down process, we are temporarily using the home cinema area as an office/study.

However, not withstanding that, I am pleased to say that I have managed to complete all the necessary electrical wiring for the cinema - with all wires and cables hidden, - running through cavity walls and in the roof space etc.

Hopefully in another few months, things will have progressed even further; but at least it is now possible, during these dark evenings, to screen some films without having to run cables etc. around the room each time, even if it is in a somewhat temporary environment, and having to move the odd desk out of the way.

--------------------
Dave.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 02, 2011 09:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back David. Great to have 'Mr. Ampro ' posting again! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the Kodak news? They're not going to stop making super 8 are they...I just started filming with it again.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 10:47 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul,

Actually, as I said on another Forum, I like to think I never really left, - just that too many other things overtook me for a while. [Eek!]

--------------------
Dave.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 02:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I heard last week that Kodak had filed for bankruptcy in some fashion. Hopefully it's not the end of Kodak as we know it and someone will step in but looking without my rose tinted glasses there is no future.

At least if Kodak do go then it will give Fuji a lease of life.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 03, 2011 02:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David. Congrats on the granddaughter [Smile]

Plenty of life left in 8mm yet as well. [Smile]

[ December 03, 2011, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Kodak is not bankrupt yet. They are selling off assets and patents to try to avoid it but have not filed in any way.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 12:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
yes Kodak is in trouble, but not quite done yet, but the doom and gloom is spreading fast.. I work in the archival field and I have actually been debating with many of my colleagues about this since some of them want our yearly national conference to have nothing but digital projection, so I have begun a campaign to form a "film advocacy group"....You know things are changing for the worst when the people whose job it is to "protect" the use of film for future generations, want to remove it from their yearly get together.....At this years' conference I was the only speaker (out of like 100) who actually brought film and equipment to screen during my presentation....AND Paul Adsett, you will be happy to know that I did the presentation on the 4.75mm Monaco, and the guys from Flicker Alley DVD's filmed...um I mean video-recorded it and are gonna put it on their blog..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 08:50 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, - thanks to everyone for their congratulations on the arrival of our new granddaughter - very kind - and goes to show just how the camaraderie of the forums extends beyond just film.

Secondly, with regard to the Kodak scenario, all I can say is let's keep our fingers crossed for the future of film. I still shoot in Standard 8, Super 8 and 16mm. Trusting that at least one of these formats will continue to be available for filmstock - here's hoping! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dave.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, we lose everything in the end.

I may have mentioned this before, but I have always been struck by what happened to my grandparents, (as well as to so many others) ...

When I was a kid, they had this immense house on a hill overlokking Tigard, Oregon. It had big open fields, with immense balckberry bush hedges and they had tons of stuff "squirreled" away in that three level house.

But by the time I went over to Portland Oregon to go to college, They had sold that house years ago and were now living in a retirement community. Sure, they had a lot of thier stuff, but they had to get rid of a lot too. After all, they only had so much room..

In those four years of college, I saw my grandmother's dimensia get progressively worse, and they eventually moved into an assisted living arangement with automatic locking doors, (as grandma would now wander off), and so, they're "stuff" lessened even more, just enough to fit into that small two room apartment.

Grandma succumbed to dimensia and grandpa was left alone. By the time he was a week from passing, he had ...

one 19n inch TV ...
a little boombox ...
a few items of clothes ...

... that were left to him. Everything else they had spent thier lives amassing, was gone. Oh, a little bit was given to family, but most of it, gone.

That "lesson" has never left me, and it does shape my life immensely. While I do have one thing that I have amassed, (my film collection) my wife, son and myself have little else, but we like it that way, and see no reason to keep up with the "Jones" ... Let them kill themselves young working like dogs just to get the newest "tech" or cars every other year or so.

Were happy with our beat up van, our manufactured home, (hey!, it's paid off and if it was to burn down, we'd just buy another cheapie!)

as you can't take a single thing with you ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2011 02:26 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How very true, Osi! Words of wisdom indeed! Less is more!

We tend to operate in the same vein as you obviously do, with only a few treasured items, which hopefully will be passed down through the family.

Too, we have seen exactly the same thing happen to my wife's parents; and what was so important for them to strive for and obtain, is as nothing. Not only with possessions, but with petty annoyances etc. which really got under their skin, and on which they wasted a lot of time and energy - all to no avail in the end!

Thanks for sharing the positive thinking.

--------------------
Dave.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 08, 2011 12:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with what you are saying Osi. It's so easy to get wrapped up in our "stuff" and acquiring "stuff". BTW...I too am from the Portland area, but more towards Mt. Hood. My grandparents owned a lumber mill and a ranch. After my grandfather passed away in the late 70's...everything had to be sold off. My grandmother lived a modest life after that, but fortunate to remain in her house in Sandy with family close by until she was 100 years old. In the end it's not our "stuff" that defines us.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 09, 2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Janice though, sadly, most people today seem to think the opposite ...

but hey, it keeps Madison Avenue happy.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC