8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The nightmare of Windows 7

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The nightmare of Windows 7
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 06:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My daughters old Dell XP computer finally crapped out so we had to get a new computer, which of course is a Windows 7 operating system. Well, first thing we found out was that it is not just a matter of buying a new computer. There are lots of "by the ways" such as :

You need a new printer and scanner

You need new MS Office software

A lot of your old software will not run on W7

You need new virus software installed

Then you get to Windows 7 itself. My first impression is not good. It seems way too fussy, and simple tasks that I did before on XP now seem overly complicated and time consuming. Why can't they keep things simple?
Most of all you realize how much of your day to day life has now become dependent on computers, how much of your life you devote to them, and how the world economy would collapse if the whole damn system ever went down. I find the whole thing very scary, and longing for simpler days when all this stuff was not around.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, this is how Microsoft makes money. They keep changing everything. Even the simple Microsoft Words and Excel are now coded with *.docx and *.xlsx which we cannot open with old system.

Microsoft wants people who now own Windows 7 will eventually create documents and send to other people who are still running old systems. When the recipients found they cannot open them, then they have to buy new software (windows 7)

So people are making a converter now...!

I bought a new computer and asked to install Windows XP instead. I am too old to learn all new features at Windows 7 which basically are the same just they put IN DIFFERENT PLACE !! [Mad]

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you don't have to tell me about problems with Microsoft and it's software, as my recent posts can testify to!

The strangest thing is that6 when I first got on this rebuilt XP, (with the VISTA, Windows 7 and windows 8 transfo9rmation packs added), I couldn't play almost any games on it, as the "openGL renderer" would not kick in, and I couldn't seem to get it to do so ...

... then about two weeks after I had re-installed, without me doing a single thing, the program somehow internally corrected itself, and now the games will play!

... and, for all I know, I'll get another message that will flash up and state ... out of nowhere ...

" you have two days to register your XP"

IRK!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still on XP and I have no desire to get "7".

Apparently, now you can't even sort pictures or files anymore by dragging them around inside a window as in XP; there is only auto-sort available....why on earth would you remove a perfectly useful function like that??

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found 7 to be adequate at best. It's not at all an advance on XP, which in my opinion was the best OS they had.

Incidentally, I was still able to use my old printer with the new system, Paul.

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my imac

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 13, 2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, take a look at this workaround for manual sorting by disabling auto arrange.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92758-windows-explorer-auto-arrange-disable.html

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2012 12:34 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I'm still running Office 2000 (!) and, at least for XP, Microsoft has a free converter upgrade, so now I can read and save all the new xml-based formats (docx etc.). Wish that link were handy, but Bing is your friend.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 14, 2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now when you buy a new computer or printer they do'nt even include a user manual to read before you attempt setting it all up. Not even a diagram explaining all the features of the computer. Apparently this is supposed to be obvious! With my new HPcomputer I got no manual and no windows 7 operating system discs. I got no MS Office discs and no McCaffee anti virus software discs. All this stuff has to be downloaded! With the printer I got no manual and just a cd-rom disc.
Talk about totally user unfriendly!!! [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2012 06:11 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I run W7 on all my machines and have experienced some of these issues myself. As for printer/scanner though, a new set of drivers should be enough. Same goes for the Office software :-)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

Thanks for the link on the workaround.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 15, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my second damned rebuild of Windows XP has started its fu**ing countdown to shutdown dammit!

I'm going to try the advice of a friend and try nLINUX if it will work on my Dell Dimension 4600 pentium 4. I'm tired of this crap!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 05:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for printer/scanner though, a new set of drivers should be enough.
The new drivers fixed the printing-issues with my HP "all in one"-device. However scanning still doesn't work properly (and I'm not the only one having these problems with HP-devices older than a year)...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I was using the Windows Live Movie Maker accessory with no problems until a few days ago. It just stopped working, and gives the error message: "the system cannot find the path specified". Anyone else have this happen? Thanks

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 10, 2012 12:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are you seeing this error?...Launching the program or accessing a previously saved WLMM file? Have you had problems saving files in the past?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 05:05 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This message box opens as soon as I try to access the program, before anything else appears. No problems accessing my files or opening this program before....just suddenly no Windows Movie Maker. [Confused]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 10, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe

You can download a newer version of Movie Maker from microsoft.com. Just install it and you should be OK.

Pat

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC