8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Stunning Technicolor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stunning Technicolor
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the 1962 version of "Mutiny On The Bounty" that was originally filmed in "Ultra Panavision 70". Even though its been almost 50 years the rich colour on this size of film frame must have been something, although we were stuck to watching it on a video projector and dvd it does show what is lacking so much in modern movies.

It would be great to see this movie as projected on new 70mm film stock on a "large screen" once again in stunning Technicolor.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True IB Techincolor is amazing -- video projection can approximate it, but there's nothing like the real thing...

BTW - as far as I know, there were never any 70mm IB printings...

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this print in 70mm at the National Film Theatre in the late seventies. Not seen the film before, but this was a fantastic quality print. I have the standard DVD of the film and that's really great as well. I have the 3 patter on Super 8 having bought this in the early eighties. Ihave longed dreamed of OF HAVING THE 8mm version and now
i have the excellent DVD that is alot cheaper and does have the fantastic stereo sound. This film works in super 8 in it~s time and the DVD works just like the 70mm presentation. Bye the way the 3 parter of Mutiny works with the 400fter because of the extra scenes that can be added to the 3 parter. Unless you have the full feature. Then the steo traCKS COULD BE ADDED.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 04:04 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven is right. There was no 70mm IB printing. It would have been great though. Even still a film in 70mm is just stunning. I saw West Side Story in 70mm and was as if I were there in New York.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2012 07:08 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, those screen captures look good. What type of video projector are you using, and whats the projected screen size, may I ask?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 07, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin
The projector is Sanyo PLVZ1 I bought new in January 2003 and is ceiling mounted using component input and use the lamp mode on the lower power setting.
The projector has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would and I did buy a Panasonic a few years ago to replace it, but as there is no resale value for the Sanyo I keep using it, so it has lasted well. With a dvd like "Mutiny and the Bounty" thats got a new digital transfer from restored 65mm film, the quality of the image is in this case very good. The screen width is 2740mm or just about 9ft. I understand this 1962 Mutiny has made it onto Blu-ray, so if you have a full HD video projector it should be even better.
 -
[Smile]

Regarding 70mm, it would have been something. I did check on "IMDb" and its mentioned that prints were released on 16mm 35mm and 70mm anamorphic although no mention on what film stock. During the 70s when the old Cinerama here was having a run of 70mm films and they were impressive "Mutiny on the Bounty" was not one of them. It would be nice with this film hitting the 50 year old mark, if a few new prints could be made and released to cinemas that can still run 70mm, I think it would do very well.

One thing "IMDb" does not mention is Super8, Derann did sell Kempski/Scope prints 6/600ft the price back in 1991 was "479 pound" [Eek!] ...and that why I did not buy it, however I did get the Kempski/Scope trl and the colour like the rest of the trl was excellent.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing Technicolor movies really makes me weep inwardly when I see what passes for "color" in modern movies.

I would have hoped that style, best used for the opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan", (large shift to blue and a mostly washed out look), would have departed by now, but I still see it alive and well.

It seems like the only films that really show off color for all it's worth is the CGI animated or other animated movies.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 07, 2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be honest, as beautiful as that rich colour is, it's not suited to every situation.
As much as I dislike SAVING PRIVATE RYAN I think that washed-out look was vital to that opening sequence. There are other movies for which I could say similar.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about SPR a one off for me, but a great film for a one off. Going back to Mutiny. Despite all the problems they had and there's lots of info on the net about Trevor Howard & Brando. I still think that the film despite the Bounty being built especially for the film. The picture is really a masterpiece in photography, colour, music and a real tribute to the films of the sixties.
The 3 part Super 8 is very well edited and with the additional 400ft is a very rounded mini epic and not with a abrupt ending. But with the original one and no cut off. The full length print is excellent at a price along with many other full length prints of the major epics. This was the major problem with these long running films and the price they cost to buy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC