8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Hugo" Needs to Win on Sunday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Hugo" Needs to Win on Sunday
Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just posted on my blog — "Hugo" needs to win Best Picture!

Weird Movie Village

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 22, 2012 11:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "The Artist" will get best picture but "Hugo" in my view is right up there as well. I hope both do well [Smile]

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 23, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Oscars really that important?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 23, 2012 01:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iused to be more enamored with the oscars many years ago, but there are so many politics to the oscars today that rarely do the films that really are innovative or truly great got the oscar.

It's more a case of ...

1. Is it a politically correct view of the Oscar community?
2. Is it promoting the political view of the hollywood establishment?

ect. ect.

... but this has been the case with the oscars for a long time. If the establishment doesn't like you, it doesn't matter how great of a film you make.

That goe3s not only for the feature films but the many other categories. Way backl in the golden age of Hollywood animation, it amazed as to what won the oscar and even more so, what was nominated for an oscar ...

for instance, Chuck Jones (Warner Brothers) never saw eye to eye with his boss, and so his films rarely even got an oscar nomination because his boss refused to put them forward for oscars, while other cartoons got the nomination and oscars.

Even Friz Freleng commented on this enigma, as some of the films he made, such as "Knighty Knight Bug's", which is an enjoyable film, was not as worthy as other works by him.

Meanwhile, acknowledged classics, (even being acknowledged back then) such as "What's Opera Doc?" didn't even get a nomination.

I liked George C Scott's attitude towards the Oscars. When he won for "Patton", be didn't even show up and basically told the Oscar commitee to go do an "impossible act" upon themselves.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 23, 2012 02:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can understand their importance within the industry.
To the movie buff in the street they mean absolutely nothing.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Russell Crowe was nominated for A Beautiful Mind but said something that teed off the Academy and Denzel Washington won instead. I thought R. Crowe played his part much better.

Haven't seen Hugo yet but right now I'm rooting for The Help. Still, The Artist was a brilliantly made movie. Loved it.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2012 11:55 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen both The Artist, and Hugo.

The Artist is an excellent picture.
HUGO is HUGE, and a total winner in my book as Best Picture.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC