8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Titanic ...fans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Titanic ...fans
Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will be re-released to theaters soon in new 3-D version (USA).

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 09, 2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely on my to-do list [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 10, 2012 10:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 3D trailer for Titanic along with one for The Phantom Menace 3D conversion/re-release. Titanic just blew the Lucas film away. I was astounded at how good the depth effects were, better than certain films that were actually shot in 3D. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 01:37 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Avatar in 2D simply because I didn't like putting glasses on top of my own and continually pushing up the 3D glasses during the entire show to keep the glasses up. It is very irritating. However, since then, I purchased a pair of clip-ons that work perfectly and used them recently to watch Phantom Menace. So I may catch Titanic. But it seems they make the trailers look better in 3D than the feature. It was the case with Alice in Wonderland. I thought the trailer looked fantastic and the feature had shallow 3D. And it was the same theater.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 10, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find the 3-D clip-on. I have the same issue with the glasses sliding down...so annoying!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 02:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure I will watch this 3D one "jury is still out"

I read this article years ago which makes me wonder how suitable this film is to be released on the 100 year anniversary of this disaster. Is it a case of Hollwood more interested in the....$$$$$$$$...I wonder.

The article.

William Masters Murdock.

Born on the 28th February 1873 place Dalbeattie

He joined The White Star Line in 1901 and served on successive ships until being transferred to the Titanic. His role during the final hours of the sinking is well documented. There are accounts from survivors of how he struggled to save as many passengers as he could before he was washed overboard while battling to free a lifeboat. His last words to a seaman were...Goodbye and good luck.

In 1912 after his death, the people of "Dalbeattie" set up a memorial bursary for the schoolchildren of the town in his memory, and a memorial monument to him can be seen on the wall of the Town Hall.

Accurate historical revisionism, however has never been one of Hollywood's strong points and James Cameron's 1997 epic, Titanic was no exception. In the film Murdock is depicted as a bribe taking coward who panicked and shot a passenger before taking his own life.

Outraged by the slur on their town hero's character, the people of Dalbeattie, like David before them, took on Goliath and demanded an apology from 20th Century Fox. It was slow in coming and initally they recieved no response, but as the town's campaign gathered momentum reaching its peak at publicity sensitive Oscar time, Hollywood eventually admitted it had got it wrong.

On 15th April 1998 an executive of 20th Century Fox arrived in Dalbeattie to formally apologise and to donate 5000 pound to the Murdoch Memorial Prize fund of Dalbeattie High School.

A small price to pay for a brave man's defamed reputation.

End of article.

For me the b/w 1958 film "A Night to Remember" might be the be the more appropriate film on this soon to be "100 year mark" to watch.

Graham.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you Graham, I'm with you on this. Alex

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People in general seem to have a weakness for history. A couple of weeks after Titanic premiered my wife was at lunch at her job. One of the women there had just seen it. She said "It was such a sad story, can you imagine if something like that really happened?"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice-Go to:

http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm

and buy: 3D Circular Polarized Flip-up Clip-ons

I believe they are still in California. If in stock you will get them in a few days.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 07:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80's, I actually met someone who had a relative on the Titanic, he told the story of women/men throwing their jewelry, gold/silvers coins on to the floor so they could stuff their purses/pockets with apples and oranges....the theory that an orange could keep you alive, while gold would be useless on the open sea (having no idea when rescue would come).

[ March 11, 2012, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Dafnides ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 13, 2012 08:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou Graham for posting that article.I remember this being
reported on the News and in the press at the time, and I'm afraid
it turned me against James Cameron,for all the much vaunted
research he was supposed to have done.I think a better way to
hit him and the Hollywood gang would have been for a percentage deal on the takings and video rights
instead of the pathetic sum handed over,that way the mistake
would still be paid for as long as that film was shown.It just
underlined what a hack director Cameron really is,and to this
day how this travesty earned 11 Oscars proved to me that the
reviewers taste is in their mouths and as time goes on no doubt
comparisons will still be made between the only other film to have the same number of awards and rightfully be called an
Epic in every sense of the word and that is "Ben Hur."

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd watch this before going to the theater to watch something aimed at generating $$$ vs. actual facts.

https://www.facebook.com/TitanicTVSeries?sk=wall

My friend's great grandmother was on the ship. She was one of the people taken to Macy's when they reached land to replace clothes & household goods lost in the wreck. My friend still has the trunk that was filled & given to his great grandmother. And he still have several of the letter that she got from several other survivors of the wreck. They wrote each other for years afterwards...

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2012 03:44 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Graham on this one, "A Night To Remember" is a great film. The 1997 film needs re-editing to remove the main characters and the disgusting treatment of the first officer. Did anyone notice the passenger he shot just happens to be Irish? Some personal prejudice coming in on the part of the film maker there perhaps?

Also, the first officers grave was desecrated after the film. If it is going to be re-released how about cutting it to just show the sinking which is fabulous.

I won't go on about the nonsense with Billy Zane chasing people through the sinking ship shooting at them or the ridiculous scene of two people getting in the back of a car to have sex (in 1912!!!) but I could!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 14, 2012 06:03 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lovely story Wayne and I'm sure those bits and bobs
are a treasure beyond dollars and cents and to actually put
yourself in the position these people were in makes your hair
stand up,terrifying doesn't cut it.I like many others still believe
Roy Ward Bakers film to be closer to the truth than the cartoon
Cameron made,even with the "stiff upper lip"of the Officers,I had
teachers at school who spoke and carried on the same way"It's
only a broken arm boy get up at once and look lively" because
people did have National pride and It was instilled into you to
give good impressions and discipline was paramount especially
if you represented your school.A far cry from todays Britain where respect and discipline in schools has all but gone.So the
film isn't far fetched,because thats how folks behaved, a far
different set of values and attitudes as opposed to the so called
"smarter generation".

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 08, 2012 04:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see the 3D Titanic flick and they got some good 3D effects on screen. If anything we felt it was a bit long to be wearing those glasses and left with slight eye strain but well worth going to see. The cinema was packed out for this first screening here with quite a few girls in tears when whats his name floated away into the deep at the end so quite emotional for some. Good to see the film again on the massive screen as well.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no desire to see it in 3D, but would love to see a new film print in 2D. Great film.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What good is to drag out the Murdoch incident again? For over a decade, it has been over and done with.

James Cameron has personally apologized to Murdoch's decendants and issued another apology on the DVD commentary.

Since the film's narrative is fictional the scene has stayed in.

Suggesting Cameron did no research prior to shooting Titanic is absurd given the mountains of evidence otherwise.

Cameron is on record as saying he did not "want to make another documentary", so he created a fictional storyline centered around the sinking.

However, Cameron was determined to present the sinking as factual. That was in fact, his main reason for making the movie.

ALL movies are created with an eye toward making money, including A Night To Remember and don't you forget it.

Calling Cameron a "hack" is uncalled for and untrue. He was making a fictional movie based on true events. It was not his intention to sully a real life character's reputation.

I seriously doubt a "hack" could have put together a movie as technically difficult as this one.

It is established fact that the ship's officers fired guns into the air to help get the increasingly unruly crowds under control. That Cameron chose to use a real life person and depict him in the manner portrayed was simply a bad judgment call.

Finally, I seriously doubt James Cameron has anything aginst the Irish. There is simply no evidence to suggest this.

That Titanic won the same number of Oscar's as Ben-Hur (1959) does not mean a thing. They are different movies from different eras and generes.

Honestly, people! Lighten up. Jeez. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2012 07:47 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Titanic in 3D last night. I have to say, this was my first digital 3D film I've seen. Yeah, I took the plunge, for the $15 cost. I thought they did a good job.... and I don't think Cameron replaced footage with 'digitalized' replacement footage (like, Jack lives in this one???) Ha!... at least I couldn't detect. The effects were pretty good, considering it wasn't shot in 3D. This is one of my favorite films.... and though 3 hours 15 minutes, it went by very fast.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 08, 2012 09:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the millions spent on this movie Cameron should have got his facts right in the first place regarding First Officer Murdoch. When you are using the name and career of a real person he should have got that right. Its no use apologizing later on, thats just bullshit, he got caught out "to bad" can anyone tell me how much money this 3D version has made? and how much the studio or Cameron has given back $$$$ wise to the family and local community since 1997. [Roll Eyes]

Graham..

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, the Murdoch family accepted the apology and the previously mentioned donation. That was enough for them. They have long since moved pass all this.

You should too. You're taking this WAY too seriously. The incident is fictional as is the character of Murdoch (in the context of the film). The movie does have the usual notices to this effect in the end credits.

Wow, first The Hunger Games, now this? What's next a rant about the upcoming horror comedy Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer?

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 08, 2012 10:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'A Night To Remember" has just been released on Blu Ray by Criterion. We watched it last week and the quality is stunning. I still think ANTR is the definitive Titanic film. It follows Walter Lords book very closely, it is very factually accurate and the acting by eveyone in the film is just great- probably Kenneth More's greatest film. Cameron's movie is not in the same league, despite the $200 million he spent on it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 09, 2012 03:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will be watching Night to Remember shortly, but on super 8. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 09, 2012 09:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I had no idea that ANTR was available on super 8. Who released it, and is it a full length version?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 09, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
A Night To Remember was released by Powell Films with a 90 minute running time. It was a popular release at the time, I did have a Super8 copy years ago and sold it [Frown] but replaced it with another one from the Derann second hand list a couple of years ago. The quality can vary from print to print so watch for that, good movie though, we will be watching the 8mm print again fairly soon.

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 10, 2012 04:12 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC