8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm features: Avatar, Sound of Music, Apocalypse Now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm features: Avatar, Sound of Music, Apocalypse Now
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no idea about 35mm film prices; yet in comparison to some prices of smaller gauge films this seems cheap. Right? There is even free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/buyfromkorea_dot_kr/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 30, 2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shipping is $450. Why is that cheap?

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The description says free shipping.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 30, 2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. It certainly does. I didn't look hard enough. I just saw $450 at the top of the listing.
I can't imagine anybody willing to ship 8 reels of 35 worldwide for free though.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, would $1200 for such titles be cheap in 35mm?

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 04:08 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is though its got Korean subtitles. Cant imagine I would want to sit through the whole movie like that.

Graham S

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured the subtitles would be an issue for some.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 30, 2012 04:52 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally, 16mm prints turn up on ebay with foreign subtitles. They usually go for less than usual so if the subtitles are not off-putting, it can be a cheap way of acquiring some titles.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a print with the subs, even though I once acquired a print of MAROONED with (I think) Norwegian subtitles as part of a collection I purchased.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2012 08:47 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This had subtitles also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=170830923845&nma=true&rt=nc&si=%252BXug6FRVo%252FGQdQDKW0lxIl1InUw%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvi p=true&rt=nc

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 02, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if I purchased the film if CHC could make super 8mm prints of it and make my money back? I sent a question about the shipping. [Confused]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2012 10:12 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, that print sold for nearly $2800! At the prices the guy in Korea is selling, we could have two full features!

Pasquale, that is a nice idea. Just asking, couldn't you ask CHC to buy the print instead of you buying and then hoping to resell? I also don't know how a 35mm positive print can help get another good positive Super 8 print. Can someone explain?

Please correct me if am wrong, Avatar doesn't look 3-D. Right?

I wrote to the seller and he accepted his mistake. Shipping isn't free. How could it be?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 03, 2012 12:34 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shipping is 450.00 as I also asked. I didn't really think it was. too much for me to spend.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 03, 2012 03:07 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm wondering if I purchased the film if CHC could make super 8mm prints of it and make my money back?
I think that would be pretty much illegal, Pasquale.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 03, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh [Embarrassed]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 04, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,you can get any film you want printed in Germany,but at a
price! I think it would be cheaper than having internegatives
made for making a few copies from a 35mm positive coupled with the fact as Michael said that the copyright owners would be well annoyed.Mr Cameron might turn a blind eye to historic events
but I don't think so where money is concerned.

Thor Andre Karlsen
Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2012 04:27 PM      Profile for Thor Andre Karlsen   Email Thor Andre Karlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats that German printing company called?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 05, 2012 07:22 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thor,I don't know the company that does the printing now,
I would suggest getting in touch with CHC and have a chat with
Phil, telling him the titles you are interested in.A few years ago I
did meet some of the German lads that were turning out various
prints,one of them being "The Valley of Gwangi" 3X400 col/snd
the soundtrack was German,but that didn't concern me as I'm
an avid fan of Harryhausen.The editing is literally the BEST I've
ever seen done on a digest of any length,it's hard to see what
is missing,all the animation is intact,as are the key scenes and
complete beginning and end credits plus the print,taken from
a 16mm, was pin sharp with very good colour.I have this film
in 16mm but prefer this edition in S/8.If I were able to afford it
I would be looking for a print of "The Wicker Man" and "The
Blood on Satan's Claw" from them.Something tells me it would cost more than two kidneys.

Thor Andre Karlsen
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2012 04:24 PM      Profile for Thor Andre Karlsen   Email Thor Andre Karlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your answer! I was hoping they printed new S8 films from new 35mm features or something, but i know that might be a little bit to optimistic [Smile] I guess they don't print on 16mm?

I wish that the film format should stop dieing...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 06, 2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I understand from Phil, you can have whatever film you
wish,but at a price.Which means selling ones body to medical
science to pay for reel one.Like I've suggested,have a talk with
CHC and he can advise you.I did purchase the old Universal
classic "Tarantula"from Germany and the quality is stunning, it was printed I believe on the last of the Orwo B/W stock.It's
probably the same folk that have been knocking out the recent
"Bond films",but if you have the money I'm sure they can print
something to part you from it.Good luck.

P.S. Don't be despondant young Thor,your hobby isn't dying
just because it isn't mainstream anymore,this film collecting
lark will continue for many years to come, because we're here
now to keep it going for the next bunch to take over.

Thor Andre Karlsen
Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2012 02:35 PM      Profile for Thor Andre Karlsen   Email Thor Andre Karlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm far from rich yet, as I have compulsory service in the RNoAF, but I want to know the opportunities. [Smile]

I know the hobby will live for a long time, but I'm sceptical about the film production.

Anyway thanks for taking your time to answer my questions, I'm a bit new to film yet [Wink]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thor,and it's a pleasure answering,or at least trying to answer your queries on this hobby of ours.As far as I can gather
16mm is more or less ended regarding new features,but like I've
said,the ol' S/8 rolls on.Even if there were no new product at all
there is still a wealth of titles out there,and new titles keep
popping up that were unknown to the majority of us,but someone
has them.Anyway,I'll make further enquiries for you and let me
wish you luck in your National Service and keep safe.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone here win Avatar? Or, The Sound of Music? It'd nice to attend a screening if the winner is in Northern California.

The seller re-listed Apocalypse Now at double the price!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC