8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » ITALIAN WESTERNS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ITALIAN WESTERNS
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 01:47 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any of our Forum members out there that share a love
for the "Spaghetti Western"?

|  IP: Logged

Thor Andre Karlsen
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Thor Andre Karlsen   Email Thor Andre Karlsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love them! [Smile]

I would love to have 16mm prints of the Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films as I have mentioned in the wanted section.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I saw a 16mm print of one of the "Trinity" films on the
Dutch "Marktplaats.nl"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and then theres the 5X400ft scope super 8 version of "My Name is Nobody" With Terence Hill and Henry Fonda! My print has held up very well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 17, 2012 04:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Is yours the Iver print Osi? I had the 4X400' Iver 'scope but sold
it for the 16mm letterbox as it was complete,'cos Iver due to
contractual reasons,cut the end of the film!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting that it is the IVERS printing of it. I assumed 5X400ft, as, it seems like it was fitted onto 4X400ft (which it is on) but they are too full.

At least they ended it nicely, with that iris out shot right after Fonda blows away "150 pure blood sons a bitches"!

It doesn't have the original boxes, but some very nice boxes with homemade covers, (with Illustrations).

The one thing I wish they HAD left in, was that whole wonderful "shave and a haircut" sequence from the beginning!

That build up is just great and the ticking of the clock, as well as the soundtrack there perfectly compliments the gunfire in extreme slowmotion!

Defintely DEFINITELY, the most underated western of the 70's. Whenever I watch the full version (I have it on Laserdisc in widescreen), I get quite emotional with that ending. It's an era passing before your eyes, and it makes me sad.

It is rumored that while Tonino Valeri directed it, (a longtime associate of Sergio Leone), Sergio actually directed a number of sequences, and the masters touch is certainly evident!

By the way, has this been released on Blu-ray yet? If so, did they release the complete Italian edition, (which runs much longer!), as I have only seen the 116 minute US version.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 02:27 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know Osi,it still hasn't been done on Blu Ray.I wonder if
they'll leave in the "bad language" when Beauregard meets his
dying brother.The only version that hadn't been tampered with in my experience was from Holland.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 04:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i also very much like these movies, we also have the feature version my name is nobody in scope from iver which is on 2 x 800 ft spools, not much in the way of colour but it doesnt appear to have faded, we did get it at a very good £35 deal as occassionly we have to keep re-focusing due to some minor warping, however, thats all part of the fun of being a projectionist isnt it [Big Grin] [Wink]
I also very much admire a fistfull of Dynamite which i covered in the first edition of film collector, a very underated Sergio Leone film,only recently re released in its full form on dvd and with its original title duck you sucker on the end titles.
And a fairly funny piss take of the spagetti western a little known italian comedy western called Rebels on the loose, we did have a 3 x 400ft edition which had great picture.colour and sound from ie international, and in a very sprucey plastic container, it took the mick out of most of the main leone movies, regretfully we sold it on due to the poor sync problems, Although its an italian film dubbed into English, it was never going to be in sync but our copy had speech when actors lips wernt even moving, a real pity as it was a very funny film. To this day we have never found another copy nor can we find it anywhere on dvd or even video.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 05:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom,and your article in the mag was excellent and very well
informed.I have the film on 16mm.The film you refer to "Rebels
On the Loose"I remember was imported by Perry's Movies,as were
a number of the multi reel I.E. Film releases.An Italian Western
I would love to own would be "The Big Silence"one of Sergio
Corbucci's classics.I have never even seen a copy for sale on
16mm.Will keep an eye open for a copy of your film and I'll let
you know if one crops up.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 20, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, Thank you for your kind comment in regard to the article, it would be great if you do see or hear of a copy of Rebels on the loose, 8mm or any DVd format would be great, [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC