8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » World's first colour moving pictures discovered

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: World's first colour moving pictures discovered
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 07:28 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world's first colour moving pictures dating from 1902 have been found by the National Media Museum in Bradford after lying forgotten in an old tin for 110 years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19423951

Enjoy!
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 13, 2012 08:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Patented in 1899 by Edward Turner,a sign of things to come,
baby on the lawn movies.

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another link to a fantastic small color film. The 1st color film by George Eastman & Thomas Edison. Here you will see "The Garden Partty" done in color in 1928. Enjoy:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About/The_Storyboard/4294969929/index.htm

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 13, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second one is OK, but that 1902 clip was absolutely fascinating, to actually see people that in any other circumstances, would be black and white photography, in nearly perfect color, with a wife range to boot. Before this clip, if memory serves me correctly, the earliest experiments (that survive) were from 1912 or so, and that was two strip color, which didn't have as lovely of hues as that 1902 footage. Truly remarkable!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 10:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First? Nonsense. They can't possibly know these are the "first" color movies ever shot.

They are just the earliest color films yet found.

Truly an incredible find but I wish people would people would label these types of things correctly.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 02:19 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Thomas, until someone comes with an earlier discovery, I
think we can say they are the first.Columbus is credited with the
discovery of America, but it was done long before by the Chinese,
much the same as Neil Armstrong and co are credited with being
the first men on the moon, we all know it was Lionel Jeffries and
Edward Judd.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hugh's comment about First Men in the Moon ! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 14, 2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating.....the shot of the parrot is stunning.

Hugh, I believe Professor Barbenfouillis made the journey before Messers Jefferies and Judd.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 08:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Not according to Charlie Schneer & Uncle Ray,and that's backed
up by H.G.Wells............cos' he put them up to it.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 14, 2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

I was thinking since that film was made in 1964 and A Trip To The Moon is from 1902, then the good professor landed before the First Men in the Moon actors. However, the inventor of Cavorite is supposed to have made the trip back in 1899 so.......
I give up. Back on topic!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,
Cavorite was invented by JPL in 1967 based on research done by Dr. Lionel Jeffries at MIT. Its the reason we were able to get to the moon in 1969, and the reason that no other country has been there since. If you look closely at the Apollo spacecraft photos from 1969 you will notice venetian blinds on the windows. Please get your facts straight!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly,and we've seen all the Bugs Bunny cartoons and we know
what we mean.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2012 05:08 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who missed it and are able to access BBC iPlayer here's a link to yesterdays broadcast...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mw0cl/Race_for_Colour/

Enjoy!
Ricky

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 10:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to access the BBC Iplayer here in the USA and we can't get it. But we can get BBC Radio IPlayer. Too bad, I would have loved to see this program.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 19, 2012 12:33 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1902 film should be admired unconditionally for what it is... A beautiful example of film history. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2012 04:08 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, You are welcome.

Paul, That's a great shame but it'll probably end up on the net if you're lucky.

Best,
Rick

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 06:06 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed that programme myself Ricky, thanks for putting it up.
If there is a repeat I'll try to record and send Paul a disc.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC