8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Brainstorm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brainstorm
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 06:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got the Super8 Scope print that Denann sold for many years?

In the past I have never seen this film and to be honest really new little about it. Well I was given an old 35mm print that had been sitting in a damp place with the film on rusty reels for the last 28 years. The film was smelly plus badly distorted and thought, I would be pushing my luck to expect the old Ernemann to hold the film steady enough to keep it focus as the film goes throught the gate...well it did [Smile]

The colour was excellent and not a splice or scratch in site. I felt it would be a shame if it had to be scrap.

Anyway I was really surprised that it ran fine and only at one point did the focus move slightly in and out, for about 20 seconds. During the screening I kept running back and forth to the platter just in case there were any problems with this particular print.

What a joy everything ran very well and I enjoyed the movie itself. I liked the switching from flat to scope...very impressive. Its certainly an 80s film, so if you have not watched it give it a go.

Anway enough rambling here are some photos.
 -
With plenty of "fresh air" its going to live on the platter from now on.
 -
.......Natalie Wood.
 -
.......Louise Fletcher...remember her as the head nurse from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
 -
 -
..Cliff Robertson....as he sees things "note the switch to Scope"....very impressive.

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Sigel sold a print very recently. 'kinzieman' on eBay also auctioned one recently. I wish I'd got this one.

I like your posts very much, Graham. [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Never sell "Ernie" short. That projector love films of all kinds. I do remember that film. One of the best films ever made. Natile Wood looked so good. Keep those pics coming. And get to work on that video!

PatD

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 06:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Akshay and Pat

Yes, I better make time soon, and shoot that video [Smile]

Couple more screen shots.
 -
 -
 -
.....Christopher Walken.

Graham.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that print looks great Graham!

Don't judge a film by its cans & reels.....

Bill [Smile]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Walken looks so young! I always thought he was born old enough to play avuncular roles.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2012 02:54 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the film looks good Graham, I will have to come over and watch it.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 25, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The iamge quelity is very good. Very good facial tones, and no doubt better when watching it in person! The Derann/Kempski print in super 8 scope is OK, but it looks slightly dupey, compared to what I see in these shots.

I have this on Laserdisc, and the color (especially on ther non wide shots) is rather pale, so to speak.

I'd love to see this film get a really good restoration and be released on blu-ray. It certainly is one of the better science fiction films of the 80's, to be sure.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 25, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Pat.

Will be in touch for a screening in the near future.

Regarding the Super8 release "Brainstorm" it was a Kempski/Scope release with a Stereo sound track that was mono compatible.

Kempski/Scope prints were printed in such a way, that with your standard Super8 aperture plate, you didn't loose any picture on the top and bottom on the Scope frame.

Kempsi/scope prints were popular and very good in there day.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone that has "Brainstorm" on Super8 and there thoughts on the print.

Graham.

PS. Osi, just read your posting...do you still have a print? Its a pity we all did not live a lot closer. I can imagine some very interesting film evenings. [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 26, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Graham, I have "Brainstorm" on laserdisc, not super 8 scope, but I would LOVE to have this, however, if I could, an earlier Kempski print, instead of the Derann, as, from what I have seen in screenshots, the earlier Kempski print has better overall facial tones, ect.

I agree about the other thing Graham. There are very few film collectors over here in these here parts, and with so many lovely films to share with movie nights and all.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Brainstorm has been on Blu-Ray for several months now. It was not restored but the re-mastering is very good.

The movie is presented in 2.40:1 with the "real world" scenes windowboxed in the middle at 1.66:1. On my 80" screen, the switching ARs is impressive.

Brainstorm was issued three times on laserdisc:

Pan & Scan

Letterboxed (same horizontal formatting as the Blu-Ray)

Letterboxed with Dolby Digital audio (Movie presented in 1.85:1 and 2.35:1---vertical formatting instead of horizontal)

Which LD do you have, Osi? I have the first and third.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was released in 4x600' Graham and had a running time
of 101 mins in col/scope. The print was reviewed in FFTC and was
given an A for print & sound.The following is from his review
"...the print is sharp,if very slightly grainy in the masked sections,
with good colour and slightly lowish contrast.There are a couple
of short sections with marks on the negative.The sound is good
but I did find some of the dialogue a bit difficult to follow the
first time though - a phenomenon not unknown on modern
films!"
This was just a short extract from Keith Wiltons review.
It's just a shame that Natalie Wood died tragically during production.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I believe that the copy I have of "Brainstorm" is the letterbox but without the special audio upgrades.

I can't see why anyone would want to watch this in a simple pan and scan version. It's a film that demands widescreen presentation.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 06:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After sitting on the platter since that last screening, over a year ago, I was wondering if this print was turning into a sticky mess.

So I thought I would give it another run as it might be its last, but just in case the platter had a "wrap up" with this print and thanks to Pat for giving a monitor and camera, I can now see and hear what is going on in the garage. I might even fit one of my home made wrap up/shut down detectors that I used at the cinema. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway the print although "still badly warped" ran well with no problems...focus and sound still good....amazing
 -
 -
 -
 -

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2014 04:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Kempski released films in the "Cinevision" process. They could have bought the negatives from Animex though. I have some of shorts they released, a couple Tom & Jerry's a Terrytoons Hecter Heathcoat I think they were cinevision. Also a trailer reel with Where Eagles Dare this was cinevision. The features were too expensive at the time8.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in the theater also when first released. I thought the switching from flat to wide was very impressive. This method was also done with Brother Bear. It goes wide when the Indian turns into a bear if I remember.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 15, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ...

I believe mine is the second of the three issues of it on laserdisc, letterboxed, but no frills but the trailer, (which is interesting, as there are two shots in the trailer that are not in the finished film.

I must say, even with the way it was stored, that 35MM print of yours certainly looks better than the laserdisc copy I have, with very gorgeous colors. I've always been quite unamused with the "flat" sections of this on the laserdisc, as the color almost has a brownish look to it, but the flat sections on your print are just stunningly good! Bravo!!!

(almost makes me wish I could afford to collect 35MM! Hey, I would probably have an easier time locating a 35MM "Grizzly Adams" than a super 8 optical print, eh? [Smile]

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2014 11:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I have the last laserdisc release with DD 5.1 audio. It's a nice release.

BTW, the 1.85:1 sections are normal, not brownish, on my LD and the recent Blu-Ray release.

Never noticed the "extra" shots in the trailer. Will need to take a look sometime.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2014 01:45 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Brainstorm" the theater when I was 12. Cool movie. It has a great James Horner score.

I had the laserdisc that was in 2.35 then went to window-box for the 1.85 parts. I prefer that to the 1999 MGM non-anamorphic DVD. The ratio jumped back and forth. Difficult to watch it that way. I don't have it yet but I read a review of the Blu-Ray. It looks great and the 1.85 scenes are window-boxed.

Here is the original trailer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiZP2G-nEM

Osi is right. There are missing scenes. This happens all the time. The trailer is cut and released before the final edit of the movie.

By the way, there are two other Disney films besides "Brother Bear" that start flat then go to 'scope. "Enchanted" and "The Horse Whisperer".

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC