8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » NEW STAR WARS Director Announced!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW STAR WARS Director Announced!!!!
Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 25, 2013 10:33 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news. He will certainly revitalize the series and I will bet he does more than one SW film. This is his forte. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he sticks with it, (as directors come and go these days on a project), then he should do justice to the franchise, as his "reboot' of Star Trek actually went over pretty well, and he is a fan after all, (a major plus over getting someone who hasn't really heard of Star Wars).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2013 11:44 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great News I was hoping for JJ and he got it. Star Wars was influenced originally by TreK and now we see that Trek will influence Wars. I wonder how now the same director will make the two Ideas of the films overlap  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 28, 2013 09:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m predicting all three original films get a blu-ray outing un mutilated now that Disney have them.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 28, 2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Star Wars" was influenced by a lot of fantasy figures
Laksmi, like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and the John
Carter of Mars/ Carson of Venus series of books.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 03:37 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can but hope, Lee, but I doubt it as Kathleen Kennedy is in charge and I don't think she's likely to upset Uncle George.

Don't think he's the worst choice for director but it cleary shows the direction Disney are going with it. I think we have to accept that Star Wars is just a brand name now and not the movies we grew up with...still they might be ok [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cdn3.theshirtlist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Star-Wars-1-Fan-T-Shirt.jpg

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 03:52 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the best news for the Star Wars series in a long time. Considering Lucas spent the last 25 years butchering the original films, everything is a plus now, but getting JJ for the job is much more than we could have dreamed of. I have seen his series and films, and he is definately on par with the man himself, Steven Spielberg, but has a nack for the mysterious.

JJ said in an interview once: "I want to make the cinema-goers use their brains. Not just watch the films, but to think about what they see, and draw conclusions. Their interpretation of the film is more important than the film itself." (IMDB.com interview when making Star Trek II).

I think we will see a grand return to the original story and characters, but with a dash of the JJ specialè: mystery and the unknown.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 06:33 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't Flame me for saying this...
I am thoroughly sick of the Star Wars franchise. Its Overblown Hype and Rabid Fans... I liked it in the beginning, but now I am tired of it. The whole shebang will be getting a overhaul and this time it may or may not work. When something has been publicized as much as this series has over the years, I lose interest. The same thing happened with E.T. and now I am no longer interested in it. Perhaps the fact that I am getting older has something to do with it as well. Don't get me wrong here; I enjoy and like Science Fiction. But the hyperbole year after year and the endless merchandising is a big turn off for me.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 07:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on that Joe,the first film was a ground breaker and pure
entertainment, the later ones I think had the kiddies toys in mind
rather than content.I think the final three "prequels",the less said
the better.Lucas played about with the originals and in my mind
spoiled them.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas' tinkering with the originals was either a Ego Trip, a Marketing Ploy, or Both. With such a following, he should have left the original edits alone. The whole franchise today is nothing but a Cash Cow. Problem is, the Cow has been Milked to Death already!

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Tim Robinson-Ayer
Junior

- posted January 29, 2013 09:24 PM      Profile for Tim Robinson-Ayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any franchise has an original product which is often the best. Everything following that is fanfiction. Some of it is good, some of it is quite bad. As much as I love the old movies this franchise is more about selling books and comics and toys than it is about making quality movies. They were kind enough to take Old Yeller out back when his time came but this is one horse that will take a beating for a long time.

As far as the new director I cannot think of anyone worse. Strong out of the gate and then falls apart, too many ideas and not enough discipline. I'll see it probably because my son will want to see them. I would like to be happily surprised but am not counting on it.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There'll even be "standalone films"!
(I can already image their names:
"Star Wars: Jedis vs. Aliens 3D"
"Star Wars: Jedis vs. Predators 3D"
"Star Wars: The black hole 3D"
"Star Wars: Beyond the black hole 3D"
"Star Wars: Before the black hole 3D"
...*yawn*...)

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 07:44 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dear, Here we go again Make a good film, go on to make sequals and prequals, then flog them to death using virtually the same plots with the same characters, or same plots with similar characters. They all become so boring and are not necessary to promote the franchising of kids toys. Disney characters way back to Mickey Mouse etc. are still popular toys with each generation yet no new Mickey Mouse cartoon has been shown in the commercial cinema for years. The policy of re issueing their original productions every few years on the home media by Disney has ensured this. There is absolutely no need for them to produce new versions. Some producers do not seem to know when it is time to stop these days. It is originality that pays and there are plenty of modern authors with stories that would make excellent movies of interest to all generations. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC