8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 03:55 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

was "Star Trek Into Darkness" (2013) completely shot on film (35mm and 65mm) in 2D? Or have some scenes been shot with a video-camera (if so: in 2D or 3D)? (The entries in the imdb contradict themselves as video-cameras are listed as "used", however only film is listed as "source format"?!)
To me it looks like I can skip any shows in 3D as the movie was shot in 2D and hence will only look darker in "pseudo 3D".

Jörg

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 08:44 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the exact answer, but I do know that IMdB is notorious for getting the technical details wrong a lot. I wouldn't put too much faith into what they say about what cameras were used and such.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 02:53 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. In the meantime I found a German webpage that claims that the movie was shot in 2D and hence is only in "pseudo-3D". At least this doesn't contradict the imdb.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2013 04:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JJ Abrams designed every shot Star Trek 2 to be in 3D while filming which meant having the supervisor for the conversion on set all the time.

This is NOT a case of the conversion being done last minute. Big difference.

Keep in mind that many directors won't use 3D cameras due to their being bulkier than 2D cameras thus limiting their placement and movements.

Besides, as Titanic, Top Gun and Jurassic Park have proven, 2D-
3D conversions are becoming indistinguishable from native shot material.

I'm certain that within 5-10 years, 3D cameras will be phased out altogether in favor of conversions.

Of course, I'm a 3D maniac so it's ALL good to me! [Smile]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 27, 2013 12:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad to say that I'm really not looking forward to this STAR TREK film. I saw the first one and while it wasn't a total loss, it sucumbs more to modern "something has to be happening quickly every second" format than the great storytelling of the past STAR TREK films.

Yeah, I know, I'm a crotchety old fart!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on movies in general seeming a little (ummm) hyperactive these days. To a certain extent I think they are trying so hard to impress us with 3D they are overdoing it.

Some great moments on screen have been quiet, reflective ones. Can anybody in Hollywood still do that?

I still like what they did with the first and want to see this new one.

We live in a new era. About a year ago I had the original series on the 'tube and there were Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy with their 1960s uniforms and prosthetic ears. My kid walked into the room and said "They look like Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock".

-Look like??!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC