8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Movie theater popcorn making tricks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie theater popcorn making tricks
Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would post this on here for everyone to have a chance to tell us their secret for making the best "movie theater' popcorn at home. Whats your secret?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using microwave...! [Wink]

Seriously I bought from walmart and their microwave pop corn home-brand is great

--------------------
Winbert

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was more or less looking for advice on people who use other methods, other than the microwave.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2013 06:17 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a small kettle mini popcorn machine like the ones at the movie theatres at Costco. You can get them online. The size kettle you want to get is a 2.5 oz size and you buy the 2.5oz packets of popcorn. It's all premixed so you don't need to add anything just dump the two packets into the kettle. You need to buy the popcorn packets from Great Northern Pop Corn Company. They make the best popcorn for these machines! It's the same popcorn they sell to the theatres and it makes the best tasting popcorn you will ever taste! I'm now getting hungry for popcorn.

Roger

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 07:39 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a hot air popper that I purchased from a second hand store for 6.00. Then I got the boxes on fleabay. I also have the bags.

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 08:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat
Thats brilliant. [Smile]

Adam
I wish I could help you more as we used to make, according to our customers the best popcorn ever [Cool] at the cinema, now long gone. I never made any myself but if I do catch up with some X staff in the near future I will ask how they did it and get back to you.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 10:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be a kill joy here Graham, but I find that the smell of pocorn just drives me up the wall. I just can't stand the smell of it, or the sound of people crunching on it during a movie. So it is banned in my home cinema, but cheese and crackers are fine! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 25, 2013 12:45 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul...I dont eat the stuff myself and in our own home cinema we dont have it. Cheese and crackers sounds good and I enjoy a nice glass of wine to go with it.

At the cinema, it was the school holidays with the overpriced popcorn etc that made the money and of course if you have a popcorn you need a drink to go with it [Roll Eyes] ....we sold heaps of the stuff.

In the evening once the kiddie sessions were finished, the cinemas were given a good clean all over and "airing". I would often open up the exit doors...plenty of fresh air just before the evening sessions would start.

Graham.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 02:56 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The popcorn machine I use is a counter top kettle popper. The secret is really using (preferably organic) sunflower oil. I also use organic popcorn from a store out here called Trader Joe's, at $1.99 it's delicious and the most "theatre like" when popped plus, it goes a long way.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 07:45 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,
The book I have for my Kettle Popcorn Maker says use only a soft-shelled popping corn & organic popping corn in not recommended for use in the Kettle Popcorn Makers as it has a harder husk and will result in more unpopped kernels. Do you find that to be a true statement? Also the best oil and what the theatres use is a coconut based oil because it tastes the best and pops the best.

I'm sending you one of my packets from the great northern popcorn company for you to try it has coconut oil and it tastes just like the theatre popcorn. It's all pre-mixed and you just dump it into your kettle and enjoy!
RS [Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger,

Look at the date printed on the book, it could be true that harder shells yield less popped corn however, you can always add that unpopped corn back into the kettle to try again on the next pop.

The reason I ask you to check the date of the printed material is because I noticed that the Great Northern also sells organic popcorn although, it's much more expensive. If they printed the instructional materials before they offered the organic stuff, it could have turned anyone off to buying popcorn outside of the Great Northern offered popcorn.

Also regarding coconut oil, I agree that it is great for popping and when it cools on the popcorn it coats it much differently than sunflower oil, the oil a lot of theaters use. If the coconut oil hardens on the kettle it also makes it a little harder to clean.

The popcorn I buy, does not have any coating or butter on it before it's popped and appreciate the sample to try out but, always remember (coming from the Great Northern description in their popcorn):

"Did you know that non-organic popcorn is on the FDA's list of top ten foods most contaminated with toxic pesticides and chemicals? Are you looking for a safe, all natural, Non GMO, organically grown popcorn? If so, stop looking. The Great Northern Popcorn Company has a reputation for quality and quality is the key to great taste."

they also go on to state:

"No matter who is popping, every batch is sensational popcorn. If you just purchased one our new popcorn machines or are looking for that great theater taste in your existing machine, stop looking! This is great tasting, high-volume popcorn that pops up fluffy time and time again."

http://www.greatnorthernpopcorn.com/p-31-great-northern-popcorn-organic-yellow-gourmet-popcorn-5-pounds-all-natural.aspx

So this message is just a heads up, be careful using GMO popcorn in the long run, even Great Northern thinks so!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gerald,

Thanks for your information and yes I try and stay away from any GMO foods out there but since there is no regulation you don't know what you're getting so for that reason alone I try and go organic as much as I can. I mailed your sample today so let me know how you like it? The book I have from the popcorn popper say's 07/31/12.

Thanks & have a great & safe holiday weekend everyone!
Roger Out

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2013 05:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that popper, Pat!

(It's proportioned just right for an 8mm based movie theater.)

What's the make and model number?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 25, 2013 08:39 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

It's Model 203388 Movietime Popcorn. here's a link:

http://www.nostalgiaelectrics.com/default.asp?c=4

It's about 15" tall.

PatD

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 25, 2013 10:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread has turned into a seminar on popcorn! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 11:14 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve the link Pat sent you I have the one on the top right but mine does not have wheels. It's the perfect size for the tabletop because it's small and compact. You want to get the one that has the 2.5oz size kettle and it makes enough popcorn for two people.

RS

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 26, 2013 01:29 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in a theater...the popcorn came in a big bag. We just poured it into a warming bin and scooped it into the boxes. Then added a yellow butter flavored oil. Not what you would call gourmet [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 26, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

They still do that today. I was at my friends theater and one of his workers was opening up a huge bag of all ready popped corn. They just re-heat it and add whatever.

PatD

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree Paul...this has become quite informative.

Adam you will be making excellent popcorn!

Pat, I also have that same popcorn maker. Looks good in the cinema!

Bill [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 26, 2013 10:06 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one I got for 4.00 at the same store a few weeks later. This one is not hot air like the other one. It uses veggie oil on the bottom.
I prefer the hot air one.

-

Grant LoPresti
Junior

- posted May 26, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Grant LoPresti   Email Grant LoPresti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best home popcorn to me is plain bulk corn popped in pure coconut oil. Then use unsalted real butter and add salt to taste.

I use an inexpensive West Bend Stir Crazy 6 quart popper and it works great. It has an arm that rotates and keeps stirring the corn as it pops.

You can put the pre-measured bags with popcorn and flavored oil in it too, if you want that artificially flavored salt bomb popcorn experience.

But the best I've had is popped with just coconut oil, topped with unsalted butter with the salt sprinkled on after. Yum.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to try coconut oil next time!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC