8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Pirated film (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pirated film
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2013 06:01 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last visit to the cinema was to see the Tom Cruise film Valkrie; the cinema is not the experience it was. Within weeks of seeing this, I saw the DVD for sale in a Russian Mini Market in Oxford. I had previously bought DVDs while in Russia; most on sale had their original English soundtrack. I thought it odd that not only should the DVD be released so early, but that it was available in Russia, before the UK. When I watched the film I noticed what appeared to be shadows moving on the opening titles; I didn't remember seeing this at the original viewing, so watched the scene again and realised it was 2 people in the front row finding their seat. Someone had sat in the cinema and recorded the whole film from the projected image. There were a couple of good Video stores in St.Petersburg, and I came back loaded with DVDs, most of them I discovered were probably illegal, but any copy was better than no copy, especially as many were not available in the UK.

|  IP: Logged

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing of my love for a good "spooky" movie, a buddy of mine once invited me over to his house for a DVD viewing of The Grudge.

As we settled into the story, we became aware of weird suspirations on the soundtrack. We thought, "Wow, the ghost action really kicks in quickly with this movie. Great!"

But after a few minutes, we realized that all this strange whispering had just about zero connection with anything happening onscreen.

It wasn't until the voices started laughing and ordering someone to sit his rear end down that we realized we were watching a pirated edition, and that the "uncanny" voices we were hearing on the soundtrack were really the voices of theater patrons being recorded on video.

My friend was hugely embarrassed. We finished the movie... and I haven't watched The Grudge since. It couldn't possibly have the same entertainment value in a legitimate edition!

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2013 06:20 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Memphis, TN, a lady was arrested for recording "DESPICABLE ME 2". She had cut out a hole in her popcorn container for the lens of her camera to record the film. Police searched her home, and found over 11,000 copies of pirated films, various hard drives with downloaded illegal copies, and numerous recording devices. Her bail: $25,000. I'm sure she has that easily, under the mattress. SURELY, the FBI will become involved in this.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 03:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone come across this situation. My wife wanted to see The King's Speech, with Colin Firth. For some reason, maybe her work commitments, we couldn't make it; but while it was running at our local cinema, my wife found the complete movie available for download from Russia. So we got to see the film at the same time it was still playing.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 05:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Distribution of pirate film titles is big business, often used to fund much sinister criminal activity.

So next time you rush to watch a pirate of a new release, rather than wait the 12 weeks or so for a legit, quality release, just consider the sort of horrendous criminal activity you may be funding...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 03:33 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to feel sorry for the distribution companies etc being
cheated, until I read of the many recording artists that have been
cheated by them over the years.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob is right.... you could be helping to fund the next terrorism act when you do that download, so please think twice.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, sarcasm I hope. Right?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, all of your 16mm films that you bought over the years have been legit studio releases?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A very valid point Michael. we all have in our collections, prints
we should'nt have, like I SAID BEFORE, there are many recording artists, that have been RIPPED OFF, by the self same studios, that are now being hurt, TOUGH, the great Louis Armstrong for one
was cruelly robbed by them ( and I am not coloured) but I'm
well annoyed that the man was treated so badly, as were many others, to this day, so sod 'em! They have ruled the roost too long,
with their so called contracts to talented folk, screw 'em.They have
brought it on themselves.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael was going off the thread by introducing 16mm. By and large, shorts were legally available to buy, Movie-Paks, Castle, and many others.

However, as regards 16mm features, here we enter a very grey area, a lot of copies coming in the back door, although I believe that the US television stations could legally sell off their black & white features which they owned when they were made redundant by the introduction of colour TV.

--------------------
Maurice

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 07:26 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the main subject we are talking about here is piracy of current motion pictures that are showing in theatres, being copied by recording devices off the screen and sold on the black market for profit for the individuals, as well as the possibility of funding other criminial activities, such as terrorist acts. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being real. This is a far cry from a 16mm print sold from collector to collector. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael made the point of piracy that doesn't stop with DVD, in
the past video, before that film.The means have been given to
download,gadgets are available to copy from computer. The folks
pirating didn't make this stuff themselves, it is freely available.
If you're going to make it possible,don't be suprised when somebody does.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what Greg says in respect of 16mm copies.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 08:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of us may own film that isn't legally ours to own or show.

That is different to buying new digital product simply because you cannot wait for an official release.

You will simply ruin your own enjoyment by watching inferior product.

You will also be funding illegal activities, at worst sex trafficking and illegal drug distribution.

Fact.

Slightly different to owning a non-copyright version of a 16mm / 35mm film that was sold at a profit and was found falling off the back of a van, although I take the point.

Don't bother buying this stuff.

Just wait; then buy an official release of superior quality at a very reasonable price.

Then try not to have the guilt burden of worrying that a film company executive is snorting coke on the back of a successful film, because at least you have remained above the law and you have a top quality version of the film which is yours for a few quid and available within 3 months of the theatrical release.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 09:34 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have difficulty understanding the DESPERATION people seem to feel to see a film the minute it enters the cinema, the same desperation that drives them to purchase pirated copies on DVD or to download them.
After all, the film is the SAME film whether you see it the day of first release... or two years down the line!
This is borne out by the fact that "film collectors" are happy to run their prints time and time again: the film never ages.
I know I am unusual on this Forum: I don't collect Film and I haven't actually watched a film in a cinema since I took my Grandchildren to see "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" about 15 years ago! I usually wait to see a film after it has been shown on Cinema Release, DVD and Pay TV. At that time it's still NEW to me!
I DO collect DVDs and BluRays, but I buy them on Car Boot Sales and from Charity Shops for "pennies" (they still run perfectly well as long as they are not physically damaged) an collect the FREE ones from newspapers.I have a collection of over 1000... ALL totally legitimate. Sometimes I have bought "reasonably new" if it's something I really want. But I always wait until the shop price has dropped significantly ("Les Miserables" released on BluRay at £15.. it's now available after two months at £9, so I'll wait a little longer!).
All it requires is a little discipline.... and a limited budget! Perhaps that's the problem: too much money in peoples' pockets and a "must have" mentality.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of our older UK members may remember DCR films on the Isle of Wight, they legitimately sold Scrooge, starring Alastair Sim, but it came to their notice that someone was selling an unlawful cut down version under the title 'A Christmas Carol'. A notice was issued that Renown Pictures, the owner of the work, would take legal action if these copies continued. I don't know if the identity of the pirater was known.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Renown are advertising DVDs of "Scrooge" in a colorized version. It's been on TV a lot, together with a "coloured" version of "Tom Brown's School Days".

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
This I mentioned in an earlier thread Robert, and the company that released the "pirate" film.............Columbia Films.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I have the colorized Scrooge as a freebie from a paper, the colours are not that good. I wouldn't like to see Tom Brown's Schooldays in colour. I have both in Super 8. Both by Brian Desmond Hurst; you can see the influence of David Lean here. Getting back to the subject, colorization has gone to far, some films are meant to be in black and white for the atmosphere.

Hugh, I didn't know that Columbia of all people were responsible for a pirated film. I sent you 2 PMs a few days ago in reply to yours.

I was wondering if anyone had bought a 16mm feature and ended up with one of those awful television reissues of very poor quality. C&C Corp is one name, I believe these were RKO reissues, on a DVD I have a Universal Sherlock Holmes film that is a reissue.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That colourised Scrooge turns up every year on TV now. Like all colourised versions of B&W movies, it sickens me.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen "Scrooge", but I must admit that "Tom Brown's Schooldays" is acceptable, and it is far superior than some of the old faded prints that TV sometimes shows.
Having said that, I would still prefer to see it in good old black and white.

--------------------
Maurice

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe the main subject we are talking about here is piracy of current motion pictures that are showing in theatres, being copied by recording devices off the screen and sold on the black market for profit for the individuals, as well as the possibility of funding other criminial activities, such as terrorist acts. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being real. This is a far cry from a 16mm print sold from collector to collector. BIG DIFFERENCE!
Greg, my asking if you were being sarcastic was not on the difference between 16mm prints and telesync bootlegs. It was regarding your statement that bootleg movies fund terrorism.

I won't dispute the notion that the sale of black market items may fund further illegal activities. I have no information to dispute it and it seems like a realistic notion.

How exactly do plan to prove that BitTorrent funds terrorism? The highest volume of bootlegs (telesync, DVD/BluRay rips, and DVR rips) are put into consumer hands through torrenting. Simply because peer to peer networks are fast and pervasive. How does a free pirated download fund terrorism? Perhaps you misspoke when you said "download." Perhaps you were generalizing?

I don't condone piracy in principle and there are many ways to state how and why it shouldn't be done. I've never heard any claim, read any article, discussed with any politician, attended any panel that would substantiate the idea that it (free piracy) funds terrorism.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sort of pirated film is called a TC or Telecine in online markets. Here's a short list of the "online formats":

TC / Telecine: Recorded directly from the screen, with audio recorded with the cam microphone.
TS / TeleSync: Video recorded from screen, but synchronized with a separate audio source, i.e. headphone jack in the seats.
R5/R6: Means "Region 5" or "Region 6". Video comes from pirated, high-quality DVDs from Russia or China, and overdubbed with English TS or TC audio.
DVDScr: Ripped/copied from a screener DVD, usually has watermarks and/or sections of black-and-white to make it less attractive for pirate markets.
DVDRip: Ripped from legitimate store-bought DVD.
BRRip: As above, but from BluRay. Usually has 720p or 1080p designation in the filename aswell.

XviD, H.264, DivX etc. = the various video codecs used.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And usually the birate of these bluray rips is cut in half. Not ideal for the avid film enthusiast.

And that is certainly a more specific breakdown of the formats I briefly listed but is it a direct response to the terrorism conversation?

--------------------

Six and Bisti

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC