8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Early talkies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early talkies
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 02:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In their French speaking dubbed films, Laurel and Hardy have an anglo-saxon accent. I was told that it is because they dubbed themselves in French their very first talkies and that when dubbing became a part of the cinema industry (at the beginning, in Europe, some films were shout at the same time with different actors so they were versions in two or three languages) the anglo-saxon accent was kept in Laurel and Hardy films to keep that funny touch. Does anyone if it is true that Laurel and Hardy dubbed themselves their first talkies (and only in French or in other languages as well ?) or if the anglo-saxon accent of the two actors in their French speaking versions has another origin ?

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 07:12 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always understood that in the very early days of sound, Hal Roach Studios filmed four different variants of the Laurel and Hardy films: one in English, one in French, one in German, and one in Spanish.

The boys didn't speak any languages besides English (at least, not well enough to film a motion picture), so they spoke their dialogue phonetically. But by golly, it was the boys themselves doing the filming and speaking the lines.

What happened when actual dubbing became prevalent, I have no idea.

I'm going by very dusty memory here, so if anyone else knows better, please offer correction.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 10:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, David !

--------------------
Dominique

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 10:13 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice trivia.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 16, 2013 10:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read kind of a co-biography of Laurel and Hardy about two years ago and they said exactly that: the early L&H talkies were done in multiple languages with the Lads themselves doing the dialog phonetically.

It worked too. A friend of mine who grew up in Germany remembers them well and still calls them "Dick und Doof" ("Fat and...less than brilliant"!)

They were a great pair either on off off the screen and were ten times what they could have been seperately because they worked together.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 02:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Super 8 release from Inter-Pathe-Film of Frankfurt, Germany. The cover shows a photo of Laurel & Hardy with the words "Dick+Doof".

The film is "Brats" and rather surprisingly it has English sound, cover says "Engl.sound version" presumably to make sure the local collectors didn't buy it!

It has all the original Hal Roach titles but they are preceded by "A Library Films Incorporated Release".

Either many German collectors understood English, or it was intended for export.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 05:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all those who answered !

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC