8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Horror film society in South London (8 & 16mm!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Horror film society in South London (8 & 16mm!)
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a long shot mentioning this here but I run a small, highly-exclusive (because it meets in my home and the maximum attendance is 19!) film society. Screenings are entirely on 8 & 16mm and if anyone is within reach of Croydon and would like to go on the email list, please let me know. The next show (on Saturday 20 July) is a tribute to Amicus and will feature Dr TERRORS HOUSE OF HORRORS - a 16mm Technicolor 'scope print. There will also be a special guest linked to Amicus.

Similarly, if anyone would be interested in a West London horror/fantasy society that meets in a viewing theatre in Shepherds Bush, I can pass on details. They have 16mm shows on the first Thursday of most months and British director Norman J Warren is a regular attendee!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 09:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great Idea Adrian, best of luck with the shows.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 04:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Hugh. I started the shows in the 1980s and they have been happening - with occasional breaks - ever since, so it took me a long time to mention them here. I suppose they reflect an inclination that many collectors share: if you have the prints, it's good to give others the chance to see them. It's an ongoing challenge to find an audience beyond a handful of regulars, though, even though some shows offer 'once in a lifetime' opportunities to see rare films never released on DVD!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 02:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian
It's a wonderful idea to share your beloved films with others. I wish that I lived near you. What projectors do you use?

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 05:45 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a title I have you may wish to borrow Adrian,let me know
I used to loan to my late buddy Harry Nadler for the Manchester
Fantastic Film Con ( no charge), only postage.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 06:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what a wonderful chap Harry was as well and a great loss in 2002. I remember discovering that the Festival of Fantastic Films was happening in Manchester all those years ago and was the first time I met Harry. Very happy days and memories of a chap who did so much hands on work.

http://hnmovies.ftldesign.com

Good on you Adrian and nice to bring people together to watch some real film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian ...

Wasn't that film you mentioned, the film that has the very last on screen appearance of Moe Howard (of the Three stooges)?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - I didn't know but I looked him up on IMDB and found his last film in fact featured a different doctor: "Doctor Death: Seeker of Souls" (1973).

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC