8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Richard Burton Who?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Richard Burton Who?
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next Monday on BBC4 (UK), there is a drama about Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Dominic West who plays Burton says that no one under the age of thirty knows who Richard Burton is. Worrying. More interestingly on the same channel on Tuesday is a programme about the 1963 film Cleopatra, with behind the scenes footage and reminiscences from surviving actors; followed by a documentary about silent movie star Clara Bow.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,
I just purchased the newly released Blu Ray of Cleopatra and it is visually stunning. The stand out scene is Cleo's entrance into Rome, the set is unbelievabley awesome, no wonder Fox almost went under with this film. I thoght Burton was very good in the film, and Taylor is utterly ravishing. Her beauty just about destroyed Burton in real life as well as in this film.
The many extras on the Blu Ray include the behind the scenes documentary that you have mentioned. Comes in a classy digibook- highly recommended.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for 18 years we livid in Richard Burton's home village (still only about 2 miles from there now).
When Burton's memorial was held in the chapel it drew a large crowd and one of my daughters, who was about 10 years old at the time managed to stand next to Elizabeth Taylor who was still glamorous then.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 04:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
Another great actor from Wales, who I actually like better than Burton, was Stanley Baker. He made some great films, including of course the stand out Zulu. (Did Keith Wilton ever get to show the 35mm final reel of that film? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 05:03 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul, Stanley Baker is one of my favourites. Zulu I saw twice at the cinema, 1st time in 1964 and a few years later, I think 1970, it did the rounds again; I also bought the soundtrack, on an Ember long player. Among the last of his work was a TV detective type programme he filmed in Oxford, it began with him arriving at Oxford Rail station; I worked there at the time, but missed him as they filmed it on a Sunday, when life was quieter than it was today.
You probably know that Cy Endfield came to the UK because he was blacklisted during the McCarthy era. I particularly like 'The Good Die Young' which also stars Richard Basehart and John Ireland, 'Hell Below Zero', with Alan Ladd, and Hell Drivers, with Patrick McGoohan.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 18, 2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
He was chilling in "Villain" opposite Ian McShane.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Yes we did get to see the last part of 'Zulu' shame you couldn't come over last year.

Keith walked down the centre aisle of the hall carrying the Union flag and the Welsh one at the end of the show.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 02:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Elizabeth Taylor was asked not to attend Richard Burton's funeral in Celigny, Switzerland, by his then wife, Sally Hay.

The memorial service for Richard was held in Pontrhydyfen (South Wales) on 11 August 1984. Sally again refused an invitation to Elizabeth but relented at the last minute. Unfortunately the invitation came within twenty-four hours of the service, so Elizabeth couldn't make it in time.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2013 07:42 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zulu, is definitely one film that needs to be seen on a big screen.
Britain didn't do badly from the McCarthy witch hunt, apart from Cy Endfield, we ended up with Larry Adler, and Sam Wanamaker, without whom, we wouldn't have the reproduction of The Globe Theatre.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 19, 2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The documentary on Clara Bow is excellent. It was shown earlier this year.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC