8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Projectionist 2012

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Projectionist 2012
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 12:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching this brilliant you-tube video. The video runs for 13 minutes as its well worth watching.

As I am pretty useless [Roll Eyes] linking this to the forum can someone do it for me as that would be [Cool] ....ta

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go, Graham. I'm just about to watch it now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_Oc-dcSvM

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 02:25 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Johathan

Hope you like it.

Graham. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 04:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I thought much of the film, what audience is it aimed at?

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 04:33 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch this all the way through. There are other videos concerning the loss of projectionists to digital equipment.

I learned a lot just watching that Columbo episode 'Double Exposure', starring Robert Culp: quite a bit of time is shown in the projection booth. It was from watching this that I learned what Cue Marks were. When I was a kid I was always puzzled as to why a brand new film should have what appeared to be damage.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 05:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the show where the projectionist put a coin in the spool when he rewound it so on its next showing the coin would drop to give an audible and visual sign for an impending change-over?

Something the murderer didn't know about.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2013 05:12 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the one Maurice. one of my favourite episodes.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a projectionist for 12 years I can relate to this video... how the old timer and his projection equipment was being replaced with digital and his reluctance to make way for his younger replacement.

The video also shows that after his initial strong resistance to the youngster and through finding and watching the youngster DVDs of the cinema he does come to realize, that his replacement has the same real "interest" that he himself has on the cinema....hence he comes to accept, that its now time for him to move on, and in the last scene leaving the keys, but in a more accepting frame of mind.

Its a pity you guys cant see what this video is all about, perhaps its aimed more at folk like me.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 05:35 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thoroughly enjoyed the film, dabbed my eye too, charming and
very well put across, the inevitable tale of the old giving way to
the new.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These videos about the change from film to digital has made me appreciate all the more what I have.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose Graham, and not being offensive, you're the last of the
"dinosaurs", and this little film must ring true. Sadly, that's the
way things are, but may I take this opportunity in not only wishing
you well in your new job, but thanking you , and ALL the guys out
there that have entertained us over the years with faultless, skilled
projection in our relative cinemas, the world will never see your like again, Thankyou Gentlemen for your skills.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 08:21 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that Hugh. Extremely well written.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 11:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh

I must say I do feel like a bit of a dinosaur [Smile] especially after reading through the list of the latest "New Zealand International Film Festival" that's due to start here soon.

Not a "film" in sight [Frown] its all DCP/Blu-ray presentation and I doubt much if any was even shot on film.

I remember we used to get visits from a retired projectionist who used to pop into the cinema, a great guy always full of stories. I once asked him if he ever had any regrets over the 50 year period, his reply was simply "no" he enjoyed every bit of it.

He died a few years ago and I went to his funeral, on entering we each were given an "admit one ticket"...brilliant.

I said to my wife last night that it might be an idea to run a reel "Film Festival" [Smile] ....Super8..16mm and 35mm film... never mind all this digital stuff [Big Grin] ...what do you think? [Wink]

Graham.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 11:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

For me digital shooting or projection is not real cinema. I even think that is not honest to call it cinema. I have nothing against video but it's...video and not a new film gauge.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 22, 2013 09:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique

I could not agree more, I really think they should change the name away from using the word Film Festival, e.g Movie Festival or Video Festival, something else.

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I drew my good lady's attention to your late friends
attentions at his demise, her same as mine, truly novel, it quite
touched Susan,and I would have that little ticket framed. A man
of a unique sense of humour, but to the people that knew him,
it must be a tremendous loss.A bit late.... but condolancies from myself and Susan..

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 24, 2013 04:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh

I got a call from someone last year asking to look at the old Ernemann 2 I run at home he had heard about. It turned out that this person had been trained as a projectionist by the chap in the previous post. Bob had given him the job when he was just 15 years old, They had two Ernemann 2 projectors "change overs" with carbon arcs. This chap worked through until he was 18, then moved on, but never forgot that experience long long ago, and the faith Bob had put in him to carry out the job at that age.

Although long retired Bob would call into the cinema where I worked once a week for a coffee and chat in the projection room.
I would often get a call from the downstairs staff to let me know.... he had arrived [Smile] very well liked and respected by all the staff.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC