8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinemas still showing new releases on 35mm? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemas still showing new releases on 35mm?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 08:58 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone give a plug to any cinemas - anywhere in the world - where 35mm is still in use for NEW releases? I'm not sure of the location of any such UK cinemas, but the Fairfield Halls in Croydon is currently still using 35mm for new films, although it only screens 2 or 3 a month.

Although it's now a minority of films that are available on 35mm in the UK, I keep checking formats on the UK Film Distributors Association site, and there are still some coming up as far ahead as mid-November releases, so maybe here the very end won't come before 2014.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skyfall was showing in 35mm at the Empire Bromley in november.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following a French site, in 2013, 75 % of the cinemas in the world are digital, 70 % in Europe (sadly, 90 % in France, the most digitalised country in Europe but 48% in Western Europe) and 90% in the USA. Altough France loves Britain, they don't give the percentage of the digitalization in the UK.

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 01:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a drive-in cinema in Cork, Ireland, which claims to use film still. I specifically emailed them a few months back to ask.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a part time projectionist at Scene Cinemas in South Wales during the 90s. On holiday 18 months ago, I was surprised to see they were still open and projecting 35mm on all three screens.
I just Googled them and it seems they closed at the start of this year.
http://cwmbranlife.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/cwmbrans-scene-123-cinema-meet-the-man-who-locked-the-door-for-the-last-time-after-40-years-of-films/

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One small town theatre not too far from here, the Comet in Cook, Minnesota, used Kickstart and local fundraising to come up with the $85,000 needed to switch to digital. For them it was a case of "go digital or go dark." THE LONE RANGER was both their last 35mm and first digital feature. Here in Superior, our only theatre is a second-run "discount" 4-plex located in a failed, nearly vacant mall. Once the supply of "used" 35mm titles runs out, I expect it to close. [Frown]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2013 06:26 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened tonight all on 35mm
THE CROODS
SONG FOR MARION
THE GREAT GATSBY

No sign of film being cut off down here yet...., just less prints I have noticed available, only 1 chain here has gone all digital, most indi theatre operators like me still run 35mm

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 12:39 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, The "Kavanagh" in Herne Bay, a 2 screen independant, is still running 35mm but were hoping to change if they can raise the funds. They are trying hard but could be better supported by the local population. Ken Finch.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 26, 2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered that despite predictions that it would be gone by now, 35mm distribution (albeit on a small scale) will survive into 2014 in the UK. Both 'Mandela' and 'Inside Llewyn Davis' - to be released in January - will be available on 35mm. Format information on most films isn't available yet, so there may well be others.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 26, 2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the non chain cinemas are retaining a 35mm projector thank goodness such as Mablethorpe, plus we also have a large movement of volunteers who are doing everything possible to preserve old cinema buildings, projectors and re-open these cinemas. The big picture for the UK is all is far from lost and it’s great to see all this preservation work taking place. Within our area along I know at least 10 35mm projectors have been relocated either up and running or in the process of all saved from the skip. Either way these new releases will be old releases within two weeks of hitting the screen but the main thing must be to go and support the film cinemas surely.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 09:11 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A privately owned Cinema in Oxford is showing Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in The Big Sleep on 35mm on Sunday and Monday.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 07:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten about this thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't have started a new one on exactly the same lines, sorry!

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 08:20 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still screening 35mm myself down here.

--------------------

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2013 03:55 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Curzon Cinema in Clevedon, Bristol (The oldest operating cinema in the world) still shows 35mm and has an extensive collection of old projectors in its museum. http://www.curzon.org.uk/

They are actually having a screening of 8mm package movies on Sept 29th at 12.30: http://www.curzon.org.uk/content/public/Main/MovieDetail.aspx?cmsid=31939&hash=fB8PULOpv3Fr8Y1HDLrfvA

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 27, 2013 03:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and the Empire Wigan Multiplex has all its 35mm in and running. Yay!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Kavanagh" moved to digital last week. The move was made because it would otherwise have to close next month because of the dearth of 35mm prints available. It has cost £18000 to re equip the 2 screens. The owner could not retain one of the 35mm machines because of insufficient space in the "box". Sign of the times it seems. Digital or nothing new to show. I saw "Philemena" there this week and found the new set up very impressive. However I wonder how long it will be before more money has to be found to upgrade the system to the next digital format! Ken Finch. [Roll Eyes]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 21, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look.
http://baypromoteam.co.uk/the-kavanagh-cinema-is-now-fully-digital/

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2013 06:43 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice. Very good video of modern 35mm projection techniques. Demonstrates yet another example of how our human skills are being replaced by computers! However, the use of "Cake stands" must have contributed to picking up dirt compared with reels or "towers". Note also that "self threading " did not exist on 35mm!! When I started teaching you were never allowed to use school projectors without having gained a "Visual Aids" certificate. Thanks to my interest in the hobby from an early age I took the examination and passed easily without having to do the course, despite never being a professional. Considered becoming a professional projectionist when I left school but the pay was so poor compared with other jobs requiring similar skills and unsociable hours of work. Ken Finch.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2013 08:12 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still have 35mm here in Ladysmith, Wisconsin. So everyone can come visit me [Smile] The theater owner says it is hard to get the films he wants though.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken
Film on cake stands attracted a lot of static which itself further attracted dust/dirt. The platters were regularly treated with an anti-static spray, and some cinemas even had anti-static treated paper sheets which hung under each platter and ran gently on the film revolving beneath.

Static was also generated by the film passing many plastic rollers on its travel, so many cinemas replaced them with brass rollers.

Platters were covered up at night, and films not in use were similarly covered. Gates were thoroughly cleaned after each run. But nothing could compare with the old days of 2000' changeovers when the gates could be cleaned every 20 minutes.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 23, 2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to know what films are appearing on 35mm in countries where it's now scarce, as perhaps they tend to be the same ones. In the UK, current and forthcoming releases available on 35mm include 'The Hunger Games - Catching Fire', 'Blue is the Warmest Colour' and 'Bullett Raja'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected to see a conclusive end to 35mm in the UK by now, but I've just looked up forthcoming releases and it seems the next X-Men film from 20th Century Fox, released on 22 May, will be available on 35mm. Finding a cinema screening it on 35mm fill be another matter!

Does anyone have a theory why Fox and possibly one or two other distributors, are sometimes still having a few prints made for UK distribution? Surely there can't be any cinemas left relying on 35mm for new releases, in view of the very small number of films available?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 03:50 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im going to a cinema on Friday night to watch their last commercial 35mm screening which is The Hunger Games 2.
Carbon arc/changer-over style!

--------------------

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 02:56 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just wound up my outdoor summer film season at Mundaring Western Australia.
AFIK I was the last operational 35mm site in the Perth metro area and now all are digital.
Some country drive ins remain running but for how long is another matter as we expect by the end of June that will be it for 35mm in Australia.
Now to consider whether the switch to digital is economically viable for me.
Was a Century CC with 2kw xenon and Eprad MUT onto a 9.5M screen seating 300. Dolby SR surround sound.
The supply of 35mm prints was driven purely by demand..high profile titles had some and smaller releases had zero.
Lindsay

--------------------
Lindsay

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wigan Empire is now all dig.

Stockport Plaza Super Cinema has three 35mm projs running one of which is a Vitaphone machine and fully working. [Smile]

It is the Laurel & Hardy shows on 3rd May starts 2PM will prob bump into some of you again.
Big Business’, ‘Any Old Port’ and ‘Sons of the Desert’
(Mid day meet at Calverts Court Wetherspoons before the films)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC