8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Trailer and feature difference

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trailer and feature difference
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 06:11 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed where a trailer used footage different to the feature film. I recently projected a copy of 'Northern Pursuit', starring Errol Flynn. In one scene he is talking to Nazi (Helmut Dantine), and he is shown side view, but in the trailer he is facing the camera. In the trailer of 'The Adventures of Don Juan', in the scene at the end, where Don Juan (Errol Flynn) takes on the Duke de Lorca (Robert Douglas) in a swordfight, we hear him mouth extra words to that which appeared in the film. Was this a common practice?

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 06:16 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a trailer for Return of Dr. X.....and almost every scene in that trailer is NOT in the feature itself. Totally different scenes, dialog and camera shots. Trailer must have been made well before the final edited version of the feature.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some low-budget filmmakers would intentionally use out-takes to build their trailers to save themselves a couple of bucks duplicating those chunks of the negative again. Not saying that is what is happening in the examples cited so far; in fact probably not. First time I noticed alternate takes in a trailer for a proper Hollywood movie was CAREER OPPORTUNITIES, which had some dialogue that did not make it into the final film. From what I've heard, a lot of stuff got cut out of that movie.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 29, 2013 09:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They made a trailer for the tv show Lost (I don't remember for which season). The "monster" showed in the trailer was not appreciated enough by the fans so they reshooted the scence with it for the show.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2013 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great example of that is in the original, very first trailer for STAR WARS ...

The special effects had not been worked out yet and so, that first shot of the Tie Fighter coming down on the Mellenium Falcon for a strafing run, does not have the in the cockpit version in the movie, it just has us looking down on the Mellenium Falcon with the tie fighter laser blasts doing they're strafing run

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC